Hey Guys;

I've come across a very strange thing on my PlayBook. It seems to be able to gain full device internet access (all apps except for app word) which mirrors Internet Tethering, without Internet Tethering even being on. At all. I turn off wi-fi and only have bridge turned on. Of course all the Bridge apps work as expected, but what is strange is that the regular Brower (not Bridge Browser), Facebook, News, Music store, everything except App World has internet access. I'm on Telus, by the way.

Is this normal? Does the Bold 9900 Telus OS just downright give the playbook Internet access through Bridge without even having to set up Internet Tethering?

Kevin
    01-11-12 02:45 PM
    I'm on AT&T with a Torch 9810 and can pretty much do the same thing, although I wouldn't say the results are consistent (which I've chalked up to being a Beta OS on the PB). I don't generally ever turn on tethering unless I start having issues with a particular connection. Most everything I do seems to work through Bridge.
    01-11-12 02:56 PM
    lol i believe you've stumbled on one of the wonders of bridge... at least in places where your provider asks for extra tethering fees. its basically free internet. i dunno how telus works but im with FIDO and they dont charge tethering fees either so its really a non issue for me...

atm bridge IS a bit slower than tethering/hotspot feature but i think i saw somewhere that they are updating it for more improvements... i do wish you didnt JUST find out about this after having a playbook for a while though.
    01-11-12 02:57 PM
    My understanding was that Bridge was free, basically instant setup, and only effected the "Bridge Apps." Internet Tethering on the other hand is more general, giving the device full internet access without WiFi. This is setup in the "Internet Tethering" menu on the PlayBook and requires you to select a profile congruent with your Smartphone's ISP. This required a plan that allowed it unless you wanted to get nailed with fees.

If that is all true, what I'm confused about is how all those non-bridge apps are getting internet access, WITHOUT Internet Tethering, under the "Internet Tethering" menu turned on. Basically my PlayBook acts exactly the same, regardless of whether I've setup "Internet Tethering" or not.

01-11-12 03:12 PM
    Originally Bridge was only for the Bridge apps. About 5 months ago a PB software update changed that and it now provides data to most apps. If you search you'll find the threads from when it happened.
    Kevstra likes this.
    01-11-12 03:18 PM
    Wow, I can't believe a CrackBerry fan like me completely missed this.

Thank you very much taylortbb. Case closed!
    01-11-12 03:22 PM
    My understanding was that Bridge was free, basically instant setup, and only effected the "Bridge Apps." Internet Tethering on the other hand is more general, giving the device full internet access without WiFi. This is setup in the "Internet Tethering" menu on the PlayBook and requires you to select a profile congruent with your Smartphone's ISP. This required a plan that allowed it unless you wanted to get nailed with fees.

If that is all true, what I'm confused about is how all those non-bridge apps are getting internet access, WITHOUT Internet Tethering, under the "Internet Tethering" menu turned on. Basically my PlayBook acts exactly the same, regardless of whether I've setup "Internet Tethering" or not.

This behaviour is by design. Isn't it great? Both of your BB devices share the same data plan without the need to pay separately for tethering, unless you are with AT&T, and even then there is an easy workaround.
    MTL likes this.
    01-11-12 03:23 PM
    This is a great feature that just isn't promoted enough. I could see RIM jot promoting it themselves, to anger carriers, but if more people knew this, I think they may put more weight into investing into Blackberry for their new platform.
    01-11-12 03:42 PM
    Hmmm, interesting, I also thought that tethering has to be enabled to use the data when not in WiFi coverage, but it looks like I was wrong! I used about 18MB in *actual* tethering mode this month thinking I had to use it...I wonder if I will be charged. No more tethering for me!
    01-11-12 03:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD