Eureka

Anyway, my BBM on my PB stopped working (actually was very finicky) today after I previously had no trouble with it.

I came immediately on here and looked for solutions and thought I found one that worked, but then it just stopped working again. My bridge is working great. So, I thought about it. What happened in the last few days that could have caused BBM to all of a sudden stop working.

nothing...other than adding this beatiful young lady I met during memorial weekend. hmmm. So I closed a chat I had with her on my phone and reopened BBM on my playbook...it worked. She BBM'd me and it immediately shut down.

I asked her for her BBM pin, wrote it down, and then deleted her. Guess what. BBM on Playbook works fine. Hasn't shut down in 15 minutes, when before it would shut down every 2 minutes.

So what might be the issue? Her name has all these funky characters in it and perhaps that is what's causing the PB to "panic" and shut down repeatedly.

If anyone else is having that issue, check your friendslist for people with crazy characters in their names! Once she adds me back, I will post the characters in her name.
    06-01-11 04:24 PM
    Good to know. Another reason to ban these ******** names on BBM.
    06-01-11 04:36 PM
    My heart stopped pumping after I added two gorgeous young mademoiselles from Paris to my facebook account, but I'm not deleting them. I'll endure a quadruple bypass before I take such drastic action. BTW...Google translate is a godsend....
    06-01-11 04:39 PM
    UPDATE:

Just added her back and had my PB open. I texted her on my 9800 and as soon as my text was delivered my PB's BBM shut down.

Someone made her a BBM name with a bunch of stacked characters

meaning there's an "N" with a "_" and a "-" above it and a heart with a slash. I can literally delete these extra characters or change her name altogether and it works again.
    So it's definitely the way her name was created with these extra characters.
    Wish Tech-Support could read this.
    06-01-11 05:05 PM
    Excellent tip.
    06-01-11 05:11 PM
    Wait wait wait. Let me understand this. If people have odd characters in their BBM name, this is causing a problem with the Playbook resulting in the app to either not function properly or, worse, crash?

Not that I don't believe you. In fact, this would explain alot as to why my BBM on my Playbook is odd - most of my contacts have those characters - but I don't understand why stacked characters would problematic for the Playbook.

PS - Just out of curiosity, could those odd characters cause problems on BBM on the phone itself, i.e., make the BBM client slow?
    06-01-11 08:22 PM
    Wait wait wait. Let me understand this. If people have odd characters in their BBM name, this is causing a problem with the Playbook resulting in the app to either not function properly or, worse, crash?

Not that I don't believe you. In fact, this would explain alot as to why my BBM on my Playbook is odd - most of my contacts have those characters - but I don't understand why stacked characters would problematic for the Playbook.

PS - Just out of curiosity, could those odd characters cause problems on BBM on the phone itself, i.e., make the BBM client slow?
    yep, you got it! Thankfully, only one person on my list had those stupid characters...which made it easy to figure out.

YOu can test this yourself, by endinig all convos on your phone and then texting someone without the charcters and then try texting someone with it. I believe that will replicate the error.
    06-01-11 09:24 PM
    Well smack my *** and call me susan.... It worked.

20 times I opened and closed bbm with no crash.
    06-01-11 09:34 PM
    Eureka

Anyway, my BBM on my PB stopped working (actually was very finicky) today after I previously had no trouble with it.

I came immediately on here and looked for solutions and thought I found one that worked, but then it just stopped working again. My bridge is working great. So, I thought about it. What happened in the last few days that could have caused BBM to all of a sudden stop working.

nothing...other than adding this beatiful young lady I met during memorial weekend. hmmm. So I closed a chat I had with her on my phone and reopened BBM on my playbook...it worked. She BBM'd me and it immediately shut down.

I asked her for her BBM pin, wrote it down, and then deleted her. Guess what. BBM on Playbook works fine. Hasn't shut down in 15 minutes, when before it would shut down every 2 minutes.

So what might be the issue? Her name has all these funky characters in it and perhaps that is what's causing the PB to "panic" and shut down repeatedly.

If anyone else is having that issue, check your friendslist for people with crazy characters in their names! Once she adds me back, I will post the characters in her name.

WOW.DUDE

you actually figured out what bb tech has been working since bbm release on the pb. I have been having issues with launching bbm on the pb. it would usually take between 5-15 attempts before trying to open bbm. well after reading your post i went through my whole list and deleted any charactors and icons they may had in their display name. Well now i am able to launch bbm on my first attempt.

a big thank you
    06-01-11 11:46 PM
    Nicely done! A very good find if this is the case,which it sounds like it is. Now I just need to get my hands on a Playbook to try it out. Come on Australia release date...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-02-11 12:03 AM
    this works 100% thanks for the fix!!!!!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-02-11 01:32 AM
    Wish Tech-Support could read this.
    Might be wise then to post it on the official BlackBerry support forums .
    piper975 likes this.
    06-02-11 08:49 AM
    even better might be better to call RIM support and tell them your solution and make sure it gets escalated before you end the call.
    06-02-11 09:01 AM
    yep, logged the solution with them...they are going to research it
    TBone4eva likes this.
    06-02-11 09:54 AM
    Wow. Great post. I've never had the problem. But I'll pass the tip to my brother. My BBM comes up right away while his always has a lag.
    06-02-11 10:04 AM
    cool good job man.

its probably been mentioned a million times but these bridged apps are actually running on the phone itself using the phones memory processor etc etc. we all know autocorrect isnt available on the playbook, but, today i typed hr in bbm and it was corrected to hour, ain't was correct to isnt, mo was corrected to month. basically autocorrect as it relates to your custom dictionary in your bb works on bridged apps

hmm, i have an autodictionary entry, its a form email, i just type "thankyouemail" and hit space and its replaced with an email thanking my customer. this DOESNT work on email or bbm...weird
    06-02-11 10:08 AM
    So... my question is.. If i rename all my contacts that have those who have stacked or those fancy characters in their names that'll work or i'll have to remove them or ask them to cahnge their names?
    06-02-11 10:15 AM
    They'll likely need to change their display names.

Special characters are the devil's shorthand.
    06-02-11 10:19 AM
    So... my question is.. If i rename all my contacts that have those who have stacked or those fancy characters in their names that'll work or i'll have to remove them or ask them to cahnge their names?
    Once you change it on your bbm it will not matter what they have as a name as you have chosen to over ride their name with one that you choose. So you could change your girlfriends name to be Bill so you wife doesn't know who your chatting with ... well at least until she reads your messages that is
    06-02-11 10:24 AM
    worked.

has never worked before and ive had the pb for 2 months.

friends in southeast asia like to go crazy with these special characters.

chinese characters in their names and statuses work.

the glove character with two fingers showing peace (deuces!) comes up as chinese characters.

thanks
    06-02-11 12:15 PM
    Once you change it on your bbm it will not matter what they have as a name as you have chosen to over ride their name with one that you choose. So you could change your girlfriends name to be Bill so you wife doesn't know who your chatting with ... well at least until she reads your messages that is
    LMAO @Bill. lol! thanx for the idea
    06-03-11 09:04 AM
    Nice fix I have no one on BBM with those types of names thank god.
    06-03-11 09:13 AM
    Great find Perfectson!

I had one contact out of 38 using special charaacters in the name and was having the very same problem....sometimes it took a dozen or more attempts before BBM would launch on the PlayBook. Just edited the name on my end (Contact didn't have to change anything) and it corrected the problem.
    06-03-11 09:21 AM
    +1. What a great discovery. RIM should send you a Torch 2 as a thank you when it comes out! Think of all the hours of futile research and money spent that you have saved them from.
    06-03-11 10:00 AM
    How are you all getting BBM on the playbook? I have the latest software 1.0.3.1868 and check about 30 seconds ago for an update but I do not get BBM as an option under the bridge section? WTF?? I'm in Ontario on Rogers with my Torch if that matters. TIA.
    06-03-11 10:10 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD