I was just checking out the new tech news when I realized that the HTC flyer was just reviewed by dare I say it....Engadget. I checked it out and saw that the rating was 8/10 which the playbook only got the 7/10. In my (probably biased opinion), why should the flyer get a higher rating than the playbook when here are the advantages vs disadvantages of the playbook in my opinion...

Advantages of PB:
    Dual core CPU (SHOULD be better multitasking/better battery/run cooler)
    Better front camera
    Cheaper price point! (important for many)
    Better looking OS (in my biased opinion)
    Flash support
    Better browser (maybe)
    1080p video front and back
    word/excel/pp to go
    Thinner
    Lighter
    Better sound
    Can bridge with a bb (lol, its a plus, AKA tethering can be free)
    HDMI out (the engadget review doesn't even MENTION that the flyer doesn't have it)

Advantages of Flyer:
    Higher clock speed
    Fancy pen to scribble
    Full android marketplace
    Better battery (according to Engadget, with the new PB update, they may be right....for now)
    SD card slot

If I'm wrong on any of these, please correct me. I think the flyer is pretty cool....but if I'm even close to being right on this, it doesn't take a genius to wonder if this isn't a little unfair. I know Engadget loves apples and not blackberries...but htc?

What are your thoughts?
    05-17-11 05:54 PM
    By the sheer numbers, tablets with Android are protected. You can't discriminate Honeycomb OS on one tablet without talking about all of them, so it is often a moot point.
    Honeycomb Tablets are reviewed on hardware and what Honeycomb does with that hardware.
    PlayBook is reviewed as a lone ranger OS still in it's infancy. Hardware is not sufficiently maximized by software at this point to give it a higher rating.
    05-17-11 06:01 PM
    By the sheer numbers, tablets with Android are protected. You can't discriminate Honeycomb OS on one tablet without talking about all of them, so it is often a moot point.
    Honeycomb Tablets are reviewed on hardware and what Honeycomb does with that hardware.
    PlayBook is reviewed as a lone ranger OS still in it's infancy. Hardware is not sufficiently maximized by software at this point to give it a higher rating.
    flyer doesnt even launch with honeycomb
    05-17-11 06:15 PM
    It's not always about the specs.

Well they reviewed the Samsung 10.1 today and said they would put it up there with the iPad2 but they didn't give it a grade since it was a developer model
    duke1231 likes this.
    05-17-11 06:19 PM
    Engadget is biased. I like apple stuff as it is built good, but they are very biased.

I will not believe an android 2.x tablet is better than the playbook, period.
    05-17-11 06:27 PM
    Engadget would claim that an actual stone tablet is better than the PlayBook
    jmarkey77 and cjterminator like this.
    05-17-11 06:34 PM
    The day I make a purchase purely based on an Engadget article is the day I stop using my brain.
    05-17-11 06:39 PM
    Engadget gets a 2 out of 10 for writing bias crap. With exception to Crackberry, I have yet to see an unbias review of the playbook. There are some bad points for every device made. For example if you buy an apple product, you may be at risk of never leaving your parents' basement. I have yet to hear any of the reviewers mention this point. Am I right?
    05-17-11 06:49 PM
    There's some decent reviews out there, like the MobileTechReview one and the PhoneArena one.
    05-17-11 06:52 PM
    Why does anyone care about this? Is a review of a new tablet supposed to just automatically say that the PB is better? It's getting seriously ridiculous in here with everyone being so defensive about the PB. The bottom line is that it has issues and until it's updated it's going to continue to be looked on unfavorably.
    Kerms, slbailey1, howarmat and 3 others like this.
    05-17-11 06:52 PM
    flyer doesnt even launch with honeycomb
    Thanks, I totally glistened over that fact, it will run 2.2 apps out of the box, the same ones that the PlayBook should be able to do through Android player.

I'm sure there are better sources, but they did announce 3.0 coming to Flyer.

HTC Flyer To Get Android Honeycomb Soon
    05-17-11 06:53 PM
    The bottom line is that it has issues and until it's updated it's going to continue to be looked on unfavorably.
    Kind of incorrect... Even after it's updated it will continue to be looked at unfavorably...
    05-17-11 06:53 PM
    Most reviewers start out their review of the playbook the same way. The first line of their review always says, "The ipad is better." How is writing an opinion ever seen as a credible review? When writing a review that clearly will not be popular, with the huge apple fan base, most of these writers would rather please, than educate. I can't see RIM getting any love from the media even after final software is in place and the app world full of highly productive apps. No body in here is defending the playbook either. We are just pointing out the obvious short comings of obtuse journalism.
    05-17-11 07:11 PM
    Engadget is biased. I like apple stuff as it is built good, but they are very biased.
    This is so very true.
    05-17-11 07:16 PM
    The Playbook had some significant issues at launch. Even after the initial post-launch OS update, there were still some things (such as the memory leak issue) that weren't corrected for a while. Those problems led to a number of a less than stellar reviews, including the one from Engadget. While I agree that Engadget seems to be more than a little pro-Apple, it's still possible to see how they could conclude that the Flyer is a bit more polished than the Playbook was at the time they reviewed it. That doesn't mean that the Flyer is ultimately a better tablet, just that the review version of the Playbook wasn't quite ready for prime time when they got it.
    05-17-11 07:17 PM
    Not siding with Engadget, but based on current condition, I would say that they are 99% correct.
    For instance, even Flyer running Froyo, the OS has many functions or features that PB doesn't even come close (native this and that, microSD slot, better clockspeed and Bluetooth, etc). And to be noted, both WiFi and 3G versions are unable to do voice/sms too.
    Compared to other Android devices, HTC build quality is by far the best out there, even better than motorola. This I will give credit also.
    When Flyer finally set its foot on Honeycomb, by then PB would already shown its true potential. And then let Engadget try to give score again.. 9/10 for PB but 7/10 for Flyer I guess? Why? Coz Honeycomb mas made for tablets with screen larger than 7", so it will give a low points on Flyer).
    I own a Galaxy Tab 7" running official 2.3.3 Gingerbread and Flyer comes nothing close to it! 1GHz vs 1.5Ghz plus 512Mb RAM vs 1Gb RAM are nothing when u consider that GTab is a phone! (sorry for AT&T and T-Mobile Gtab).
    Back to PB. By having bad reviews, I personally think that it is good!
    Why? So RIM won't be slacking too much and work their *** HARD to unleashed the power of this baby right away. One thing that I learned back at BBWC is RIM considered a lot for security, security, and nothing but security!
    While one can consider this as a strong point, others would just think this as something that delayed innovations and progress.

Be honest with me.. as common users, PB offers a little for most of us.
    But if u are a professional or some high-level businessman who cares a lot about security, then PB is the best. PB + BlackBerry Balance in OS7 = TOP security in business.
    Waitzar likes this.
    05-17-11 07:21 PM
    Why does everyone have to be all defensive about a review based on personal opinion. Just check out what the reviewer thinks, go into a store play with any tablet you see that you might like and which ever one meets your requirements you buy it. I don't see why this reviewer is being bashed for expressing his personal opinion after all its not a blackberry website in any way. I'm not saying to ignore reviews but the sales of the Playbook have nothing to do with us and will not affect us in anyway since we're the consumers as well who will be paying for the tablet with our own money in the end. Me personally I do watch reviews but I don't base my final decision on what the reviewer thinks, I go into a store like I already mentioned and play with the device and see which one I like and then purchase it. Its not like you're gonna walk into a store and pick up a tablet for $499-$699 based on what the reviewer thought was best and then later not being happy with it. If Kevin did an iPad 2 vs playbook review, there is no doubt in my mind that he'll favor the Playbook because this is a 100% blackberry site. Ok I'm done my rambling now and I hope no one took this personally.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by luqman24; 05-17-11 at 07:44 PM.
    05-17-11 07:41 PM
    I know the Playbook has it issues, trust me, I use it everyday. But you could also say that the lacking of those specs is an issue in itself. I just thought that giving the HTC Flyer tablet a higher rating is just ridiculous with its higher price point. The playbook offers quite a bit more for cheaper and it still makes analysts mislead the public about a product.
    05-17-11 07:55 PM
    Not siding with Engadget, but based on current condition, I would say that they are 99% correct.
    For instance, even Flyer running Froyo, the OS has many functions or features that PB doesn't even come close (native this and that, microSD slot, better clockspeed and Bluetooth, etc). And to be noted, both WiFi and 3G versions are unable to do voice/sms too.
    Compared to other Android devices, HTC build quality is by far the best out there, even better than motorola. This I will give credit also.
    When Flyer finally set its foot on Honeycomb, by then PB would already shown its true potential. And then let Engadget try to give score again.. 9/10 for PB but 7/10 for Flyer I guess? Why? Coz Honeycomb mas made for tablets with screen larger than 7", so it will give a low points on Flyer).
    I own a Galaxy Tab 7" running official 2.3.3 Gingerbread and Flyer comes nothing close to it! 1GHz vs 1.5Ghz plus 512Mb RAM vs 1Gb RAM are nothing when u consider that GTab is a phone! (sorry for AT&T and T-Mobile Gtab).
    Back to PB. By having bad reviews, I personally think that it is good!
    Why? So RIM won't be slacking too much and work their *** HARD to unleashed the power of this baby right away. One thing that I learned back at BBWC is RIM considered a lot for security, security, and nothing but security!
    While one can consider this as a strong point, others would just think this as something that delayed innovations and progress.

Be honest with me.. as common users, PB offers a little for most of us.
    But if u are a professional or some high-level businessman who cares a lot about security, then PB is the best. PB + BlackBerry Balance in OS7 = TOP security in business.

HTC better build quality by far the best???? You just lost your credibility, HTC's hardware and built quality is cheap as ****. I owned 3 HTC phones, and still own the Incredible, terrible, terrible cheap construction. Maybe you should go buy both the PB and the HTC than compare them both instead of reading reviews.
    05-17-11 07:57 PM
    I was actually waiting for the Flyer to become available to play with before purchasing a tablet, I decided awhile ago the 7" form factor is for me. I really want to buy a playbook, the things keeping me from getting it are all software related, if RIM can deliver I am all over the playbook

I think once we get some of the promised features it will be a more clear cut decision. email/PIM ( hopefully it can do email without BIS/BES ), a nice MSN/IM client, enhanced eReader support ( sideload epub + overdrive hopefully ) and ideally skype are the things I am looking for... Flyer can do all of those right now AFAIK.. hopefully PB will soon

From playing with devices in the store I love the PB, it's just such a solid piece of hardware, and very intuitive to use once you know about the active bezel.
    slbailey1 likes this.
    05-17-11 08:02 PM
    After watching this video HTC launches 1.5GHz, 7-inch Flyer into the tablet wars (update: hands-on video!) -- Engadget the HTC Flyer makes the Galaxy tab look like ipad2. Slow, lagging, and unresponsive is what comes to mind.
    Last edited by evolutionPlaybook; 05-17-11 at 08:12 PM.
    05-17-11 08:08 PM
    slow lagging and unresponsive is what comes to mind with pb browser. got to watch the blue line advance, stop..wait...move forward abit..wait..stop..forward again

at least you can customise on android.
    05-17-11 08:21 PM
    i am starting to get the impression that the folks over at engadget arent really fans of Blackberry products...... anyone else feel that way?
    05-17-11 09:35 PM
    I don't know about you guys, but I can't comprehend the primate languge....There are too many poor writers writing for Engadget these days.
    05-17-11 09:49 PM
    Geez stop acting like engadget slapped your mom. Everybody knows they have an Apple tilt or they should know. Buy what works for you and fits your needs, not what the next guy is saying.

With the way RIM has been in the past with their devices is why they are getting some negative press.

I would be more concerned with why some developers are taking a wait and see approach. The PB has some of the best hardware out there bar none but sorry guys it's going to take more than the web browser
    05-17-11 09:54 PM
80 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD