FIXED - see this post.
    After serving me for about a year and a half, my PlayBook seems to have finally given up the ghost. The device in question is the PlayBook 4G LTE 32GB with the 1.5GHz CPU.

It's no suprise, I knew from the moment liquid entered the headphone jack, that probably set a ticking timebomb. I'm not sure the small amount of liquid entering the headphone jack is the sole cause of this, but it's possible.

About a couple of weeks ago, I stopped using my PlayBook. However, two weeks later, the battery is completely dead, and after charging, the device booted up, but the touchscreen would not respond to any taps, swipes, gestures etc., rendering it useless. It's stuck on a "Enter email account password" screen which I obviously can't get rid of. It hasn't been dropped (that I know of) or anything...

The volume � buttons do bring up the speaker volume bar, and the power button does bring up the power options menu, but obviously, I can't click on anything.

I've tried hard resetting the device which didn't work because after it rebooted, I ended up on the same screen, and the touchscreen still wasn't working.
    I also tried a complete OS reload using BlackBerry Link which also didn't work because the touchscreen still isn't working, and now I'm stuck on the language select screen.

Ugh, seems there's a lot of similar threads around these forums, but they're all dead-end threads. Rather worrying that this must be a common issue.

Is it time to toss it (I don't want to do this because the speakers in the PlayBook were bangin') and pick up a Microsoft Surface Pro or iPad on the cheap? Could I repair it, and if so, is it difficult to replace the digitizer assembly?
    Or is there anything else that I can try as a last hope of resuscitating my PlayBook?
    Last edited by Someone7272; 12-20-15 at 08:44 PM. Reason: The problem identified in this thread has been resolved.
    12-15-15 08:48 PM
    Had the same issue on mine before I managed to turn it into $20 to a guy who picked it up as a repair project. No idea where he went with it. I hope you can find a solution! (Sorry I can't be of more help)
    12-16-15 05:56 PM
    Had the same issue on mine before I managed to turn it into $20 to a guy who picked it up as a repair project. No idea where he went with it. I hope you can find a solution! (Sorry I can't be of more help)
    Maybe he sold it to Someone7272

Posted via CB10
    12-16-15 06:14 PM
    Or is there anything else that I can try as a last hope of resuscitating my PlayBook?
    Yes. Contact this person, buy it and swap your motherboard into it.
    12-17-15 01:55 PM
    I have a 32gb wifi one with a dead battery. I'd sell for just the shipping cost.
    12-17-15 01:58 PM
    I guess it would have helped if I included the link.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe.../#post12154232
    12-17-15 02:15 PM
    Wow, thanks for all the responses guys! Ok... where do I start?
    Maybe he sold it to Someone7272
    Very funny!

Yes. Contact this person, buy it and swap your motherboard into it.
    I have a 32gb wifi one with a dead battery. I'd sell for just the shipping cost.
    Unfortunately, the one in question is the 4G LTE 32GB model, so I am not sure that the parts are compatible. Even if the parts fit, they probably won't be electrically compatible.
    (Sorry, I should have put this in the OP, I forgot CrackBerry forums removed signatures!! )
    I'll edit it now.

Really am gutted, and kinda annoyed about this though, because my Dad's one, (bought around the same time, from the same seller, and also a 4G LTE model) is still working!
    Last edited by Someone7272; 12-17-15 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Include type of PlayBook
    12-17-15 03:19 PM
    The motherboard and battery are different between the 4G and wifi only models. I can't speak of the screen-digitizer.

If you decide you don't want to, or it can't be fixed, let me know what you would like to have for what's left of it.
    12-17-15 03:31 PM
    I replaced the digitizer screen fairly easily. I ordered the part on eBay for $20.00 and followed the instructions on YouTube. It took about an hour to do..

Posted via CB10
    12-17-15 03:38 PM
    The motherboard and battery are different between the 4G and wifi only models. I can't speak of the screen-digitizer.

If you decide you don't want to, or it can't be fixed, let me know what you would like to have for what's left of it.
    I also have a very bad feeling that the digitizer will be different due to the OEM eBay listings like this: Blackberry PlayBook 1 1st Gen Touch Screen Digitizer Panel Repair Part Black UK

I am not going to decide what I want to do yet, but I will be considering my options after the new year. I'll be happy to let you take it away if I don't opt to have it repaired.
    12-17-15 03:40 PM
    I replaced the digitizer screen fairly easily. I ordered the part on eBay for $20.00 and followed the instructions on YouTube. It took about an hour to do..
    Thanks for chiming in. What type of PlayBook (3G, 4G, Wi-Fi) was it? Do you have any idea whether the PlayBook 4G LTE 32GB uses the same digitizer as the Wi-Fi models? Also, how did you prevent dust from getting between the LCD and digitizer or in the camera during repair?
    12-17-15 03:41 PM
    Well guys, over the weekend, I finally gained enough courage to crack open my PlayBook, in order to see if I could find out why the touchscreen wasn't functioning.

So out came the iPhone repair kit...
    Getting the back off was a very difficult task, but when I finally got it off, the gorgeous guts of my PlayBook were exposed.
    But unfortunately, I had to immediately stop what I was doing because of this...

End of the road for my PlayBook? Touch screen is unresponsive.-not-user-servicable.jpg

Haha, as if that was going to stop me!
    With a little help from iFixIt, I was able to quickly identify which flex cable was running to the digitizer panel...

End of the road for my PlayBook? Touch screen is unresponsive.-img_20151218_110351_edit.jpg

... only to find that it has somehow become disconnected! It all makes sense now, no suprise that the touchscreen wasn't working! How on earth does that become disconnected overnight anyway? Was it poorly connected at the factory, and had only become looser over time?

End of the road for my PlayBook? Touch screen is unresponsive.-img_20151218_110407_edit.jpg

I plugged that back in, it didn't take very much force which makes me concerned about whether this will happen again, then closed the back of the PlayBook up.

And behold, my PlayBook is working again!
    I'm so proud of actually being able to repair this myself, because a shop would have probably charged around �60 just to plug a cable in...

A little annoyed that I chipped the frame when I was attempting to get the back cover off!

End of the road for my PlayBook? Touch screen is unresponsive.-img_20151218_164021.jpg

So, all is well and my PlayBook is now back in use. Restoring the backup took ages, but the wait was worth it, playing music on the built-in speakers is amazing. Also, suprisingly, the PlayBook was able to connect to our uber-secure WPA2-Enterprise Wi-Fi without any problems, whereas iPhone/iPad/iPod have had a few issues with this.

Sorry, but not this time!

This topic was titled "End of the road...", but it is now a whole new journey!
    Last edited by Someone7272; 12-20-15 at 08:56 PM.
    12-20-15 08:38 PM
    Love the human spirit during trying times, Merry Christmas

Posted via CB10
    12-22-15 10:56 AM
    I'm so happy for you too. Enjoy the device. I found the screen and particularly the speakers to be outstanding.
    12-22-15 11:27 PM
    Well Someone7272, you convinced me to try this on my 64gb PlayBook. I'll have to look at the camera to, I believe it stopped stopped working awhile ago. Glad you got your PlayBook running again.

Posted via CB10
    12-25-15 01:16 AM
    I'll have to look at the camera to, I believe it stopped stopped working awhile ago
    My camera stopped working about 9 months ago, which convinced me to then bite the bullet and buy a cheap Windows tab. Anyhow, this thread and particularly the above quote got me to pop off my PB's back cover to see if there was anything similar breaking my camera. While there was nothing apparently loose cable wise, I started lightly pressing with my thumbs around where all the camera connections were.. Long story short, my camera is now working again (knock on wood). For how long, and how many bumps my PB can take, who knows.
    world saviour likes this.
    12-25-15 02:59 PM
    It's still going good guys, my PlayBook has made it past Christmas! Thanks for all the support guys.
    Well Someone7272, you convinced me to try this on my 64gb PlayBook. I'll have to look at the camera to, I believe it stopped stopped working awhile ago. Glad you got your PlayBook running again.
    You had me worried there, I had not yet tested the camera since fixing the screen. Luckily I've just tested it and both the selfie and rear cameras work. Image quality wasn't as poor as I remembered, still a bit grainy though.

Replacing or repairing the camera unit requires replacement of the entire camera assembly because both the selfie and rear cameras are attached to one part.
    I wish you luck though.
    world saviour likes this.
    12-28-15 06:45 PM
    Still using my PlayBook since 2012, and no issues. I do want to get something new but this thing just keeps on working...

Posted via my incredible Passport
    12-29-15 03:56 PM
    Still using my PlayBook since 2012, and no issues. I do want to get something new but this thing just keeps on working...
    What makes you want to get something new out of interest?
    I've always found that the PlayBook (yes it has a terrible browser, and doesn't run many Android apps) has suited my needs.

I wouldn't want to change it (except for maybe a more up-to-date Android emulator and the BB10 browser) because newer devices have poor sound quality, and are a complete rip-off. The PlayBook was only �80 when I purchased it and this was the 32GB with 4G version.
    But... it's a new year, and I don't plan on giving it up any time soon. Hopefully it won't break again this year.
    muzeek likes this.
    01-01-16 07:13 PM
    It did not work for me. I opened mine up and started to remove the screws until I found some tiny ones that I could hardly see. I stopped there as it took me too long to put them back under the magnifying glass. I was planning to remove all the parts and then put them back hoping it might work after that but I ended removing about half of them. Unfortunately I did not get to the camera.The camera is still not working. Help!
    03-14-16 03:47 PM