I was showing off my playbook to my Ipad fanboy loving brother. I was showing him how great and desktop-like the browser is and then "Poof!!"- there goes the great and desktop-like browser. I was trying to paste a link into a forum. He laughed at me and I wanted to save the link so I attempted to open up Docs to Go. I hit the button that opens a new document, but it just sat there for 30 seconds, then closed. I tried it again and it did the same thing. He laughed at it and said "Some professional tablet that is".

I decided to reboot it and he laughed again as it took nearly 5 minutes.

Waaahhh!!!!!
    mca312 likes this.
    03-06-12 11:02 AM
    Isn't that just like Murphy's Law? Sorry you were embarrassed but sometimes these things happen - in all platforms and to all things electronic or mechanical.
    jafobabe and recompile like this.
    03-06-12 11:14 AM
    Do you have any Android apps on the PlayBook. I haven't tried any Android apps since the Beta, but in the Beta, the Android emulation seemed to use a lot of memory.

On the topic of failing demos, I found it can be a bit flaky to show off the bridge features if the person you are showing it to has a phone. I assume there is some Bluetooth interference coming from their phone if they have Bluetooth on.
    03-06-12 11:16 AM
    Stuff happens....no biggie.
    03-06-12 11:16 AM
    you should have said "see.. it crashes like desktop browsers do" and showed it again.. Like Vivek did at DevCon..

Btw, stuff like that happens when one tries to show off
    03-06-12 11:20 AM
    And here I was, feeling all smug today at how I had uber-organized my secondary (i.e. Android Player VM) desktop and how cool it was to have both the QNX and Android experiences in a single device, when...it hung. The Android Player, that is. Frozen solid trying to "Force Close" GO Launcher EX. Had to reboot the PB to get it back, so...

RCK
    03-06-12 11:23 AM
    Sounds like a real desktop experience to me!
    sagec and recompile like this.
    03-06-12 11:28 AM
    I feel your pain. After a similar experience sending pictures I spent some alone time with pb and learned a bit more on how to use it and what to expect for results. You will get your moment to shine and impress.
    03-06-12 11:30 AM
    Hehe. Reminds me of when your computer isnt working, when u show someone else the problem, it works just fine.
    Denus likes this.
    03-06-12 11:40 AM
    Sounds like a real desktop experience to me!
    Not my desktop.
    03-06-12 11:43 AM
    You should say, "see how it crashes like conventional desktop?"... "now, see how it performs like a real desktop too"...
    03-06-12 11:43 AM
    I haven't had firefox crash on me in 2 years.
    Last edited by dave1701; 03-06-12 at 03:05 PM.
    BrizzadMan likes this.
    03-06-12 11:44 AM
    happens. My buddy is a huge crapple nut hugger and I asked him to show me the magical Siri. He tried and it didn't get anything right he asked. He said he must have too many things open so he closed them and retried again. Still no dice. He then restarted his 4s but again no luck. He said it must be too loud in the restaraunt we were in. I pulled out my Bold 9900 and it worked perfectly.

just happens some times but it sure felt great to be on the good side
    sagec and WrightWords like this.
    03-06-12 11:45 AM
    I do have android apps but I don't use them. If I uninstall all of my android apps, will the player go away too?
    03-06-12 11:51 AM
    Apple devices aren't immune to such incidents. My iPhone has on occasion locked up or hangs etc for whatever reason. On occasion I am using the browser and it just closes for no apparent reason. So my point is Apple devices are not perfect.
    03-06-12 11:55 AM
    If you're bro is insinuating that his iPad never has problems, he's probably not being truthful...
    03-06-12 12:06 PM
    ....or delusional at best.
    03-06-12 12:10 PM
    Mmmm. Interesting. Before the 2.0 update I was (and still) using a 3rd party browser which many of you may have seen called Simple Browser. I had found it much faster than the stock browser. However (perhaps non-compatibility since 2.0 upgrade), I've had the "poof" experience and the app just closes. May not be related but thought I'd mention that it may not be the stock browser, but what is being viewed at that time.
    03-06-12 12:10 PM
    Mmmm. Interesting. Before the 2.0 update I was (and still) using a 3rd party browser which many of you may have seen called Simple Browser. I had found it much faster than the stock browser. However (perhaps non-compatibility since 2.0 upgrade), I've had the "poof" experience and the app just closes. May not be related but thought I'd mention that it may not be the stock browser, but what is being viewed at that time.
    I have had the same experience with that, too.
    03-06-12 12:11 PM
    My brother was tryting to show off his ipad2 to me the other day.

he came to show me the tv series 'boardwalk empire' he's been watching.
    click
    not there
    plugged into computer, not in library. iOS update wiped his movies.

boy was he embarassed.

murphy's law. bad stuff happens at times when you least want it too. no tablet is perfect. Ipad, android and even playbook all have bugs and issues.
    03-06-12 12:22 PM
    happens. My buddy is a huge crapple nut hugger and I asked him to show me the magical Siri. He tried and it didn't get anything right he asked. He said he must have too many things open so he closed them and retried again. Still no dice. He then restarted his 4s but again no luck.
    That's been my experience 75% of the time with Siri
    03-06-12 12:25 PM
    My d. is bigger than your d.
    dave1701 likes this.
    03-06-12 12:52 PM
    While, I agree that murphey's law is likely behind this, I did have the browser crash on my session the last time I had used my playbook too. It is definitely a problem. I hope the fix it soon.

And I don't know about the word to go thing, anyone not been able to open a new document in docs to go?
    03-06-12 01:10 PM
    Simple Browser + OS2 problems is a known issue. That said I've yet to have the browser crash on OS2 and I had it crash like crazy on 1.7 so....
    03-06-12 01:18 PM
    UT-oh. I just bought simple browser plus because I thought it would be better than the Native one with crashing.
    03-06-12 01:27 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD