I am not able to connect to email without Wifi. Is this normal?

I have the bridge working properly, and it pulls all emails from my phone, but what about the email I setup on the playbook itself?

Shouldn't the email work as the browser does, and use the phone's data plan?

Had the playbook for 1 day now...so I'm new.
    02-24-12 12:38 PM
    i am able to send/receive email (gmail, hotmail, exchange) all while only being bridged...but there is a delay.
    02-24-12 12:46 PM
    I am not able to connect to email without Wifi. Is this normal?

I have the bridge working properly, and it pulls all emails from my phone, but what about the email I setup on the playbook itself?

Shouldn't the email work as the browser does, and use the phone's data plan?

Had the playbook for 1 day now...so I'm new.
    POP and IMAP email accounts only work on wifi. That means you won't get Yahoo or most ISP email (Comcast, AT&T, what have you). Only Gmail and Hotmail work while bridged because they are set up for ActiveSync, not POP or IMAP.

As to your last question, I've been puzzling over that myself. It was RIM's decision, so not to support POP and IMAP on Bridge, so you'd have to ask them.
    02-24-12 12:50 PM
    Try tethering instead of bridge. Native emails needs a *direct* connection to the web.
    02-24-12 12:52 PM
    One of the reasons that native email uses only WIFI is the carriers.... As bandwidth is in short supply and demand is high.... Carriers want their bandwidth used with mobile devices only......this is the other reason RIM only has updates through WIFI.... Interesting on my Native email I can recieve emails when briged but cannot send..... strange.....
    02-24-12 12:57 PM
    JasW....thank you for your response.

I have a website for my business and it is POP, also a personal email that is a POP, so what you said makes sense. Other company I work for has BES, but haven't figured out how to get those emails onto the pad yet without going to the Bridge email folder.

Saudadeii...I have tether for my bold. How would I use that from phone to playbook? A tether app I assume?

Thanks all for your answers
    02-24-12 12:59 PM
    POP and IMAP email accounts only work on wifi. That means you won't get Yahoo or most ISP email (Comcast, AT&T, what have you). Only Gmail and Hotmail work while bridged because they are set up for ActiveSync, not POP or IMAP.

As to your last question, I've been puzzling over that myself. It was RIM's decision, so not to support POP and IMAP on Bridge, so you'd have to ask them.

I've always been able to send and receive from a Yahoo email account via bridge from my 9800 to PB without wifi. With OS 2 now I use Yahoo, Cox email, etc., via wifi when available, with bridge when not.
    02-24-12 01:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD