Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By gmarko
  • 2 Post By spoddar751
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Economist magazine coming to Playbook? Maybe.

Thank you for contacting The Economist.

The Economist is working to bring the newspaper to you on the best platforms and devices. We select platforms based on a number of criteria, not least whether they offer the high quality reading experience that our customers have come to expect in print. We put a great deal of effort into creating elegant apps for the iOS platform (iPhone and iPad) and Android platform, and we will put just as much effort into all our future applications. Please stay tuned for future announcements.

BlackBerry PlayBook is clearly an interesting platform.

If we can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,
    Katie Lane

The Economist Digital Editions
    PO Box 471, Haywards Heath, West Sussex, RH16 3GY, UK
    Thanked by 3:
    bjw408h (01-19-2012),  Chango_BB (01-19-2012),  lynxs_claw (04-22-2012) 
    CrackBerry User

I'm currently subscribed to The Economist and have been so for almost ten years now. I have seen the ipad and iphone editions and they both are good. I have been hoping for this for years or at least a decent mobile websites. The current one that you can see on the BB really sucks. Thanks for getting this info.
    CrackBerry User

Talking editions of the economist on my iphone = win.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Economist

I just wrote to the economist before seeing this post. The exact same answer a 3 months later. Unfortunately it does not look like they are doing anything. Very disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by ninepbs View Post

The Economist is working to bring the newspaper to you on the best platforms and devices. We select platforms based on a number of criteria, not least whether they offer the high quality reading experience that our customers have come to expect in print. We put a great deal of effort into creating elegant apps for the iOS platform (iPhone and iPad) and Android platform, and we will put just as much effort into all our future applications. Please stay tuned for future announcements.

Kind regards,
    Katie Lane

CrackBerry Genius

It's a pity that you can't download the Economist magazine via Zinio to the Playbook. It's currently only available for Android, iPad, iPhone, Mac and PC.
    The Z10 will be my last BB phone; switching platforms.
    CrackBerry Genius

They should just submit the android version of the Economist app to App World. It works fine...
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,823 Global Posts

Maybe I'm more cynical than you, but I immediately recognised the style of the Economist's reply to you as a stock "Promise nothing, be upbeat, keep 'em sweet" meaningless answer.

However, I notice that one of the magazines available through the Zinio App is the Economist - I've fired-up Zinio on the PB and that mag is offered to me at 4.40 per issue (UK-based).

Maybe try that route, instead of waiting for a PB Economist App (can't see it happening sadly), but I doubt they would offer a discount to existing paper subscribers, so you'd pay twice.
    Proud Member of the PlayBook Beta Test Team (Since June 2011)

CrackBerry Newbie

Default Economist App in Testing

Received this back today from the Economist:

"Thank you for contacting The Economist.

Our Blackberry Playbook app is currently in the testing process. Please bear with us, and we hope to have you reading The Economist on your Playbook in the near future.

Unfortunately, we cannot confirm a date for the release at this time.

Should you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,

PO Box 471, Haywards Heath, West Sussex, RH16 3GY, UK "

Hopefully Soon!
    Thanked by:
    ninepbs (04-26-2012) 
    glassofpinot likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Darlaten View Post
    It's a pity that you can't download the Economist magazine via Zinio to the Playbook. It's currently only available for Android, iPad, iPhone, Mac and PC.
    I can download The Economist mag on zinio but mine says US only. Unless you guys are talking about a different magazine.
    CrackBerry User

Excellent news gmarko - thanks for the update! Glad to see some more interest in the platform. RIM is getting bullish with the tools its providing developers as saturation on iOS and Android devices starts happening!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default The Economist!

Thanks for the update gmarko!

I had tried to sideload the Android version, but it killed my Playbook's battery and had to remove it (apparently the Adroid version installs two processes which run in the background).

Glad to see they are developing a native Playbook version. Development of "Electionism", an HTML5 app should also be underway for the BB Playbook, too!
    CrackBerry User

Its finally available in the appworld! Great looking app. Thanks Economist for supporting PB!
    Thanked by 4:
    Darlaten (06-13-2012),  Luan Ngo (06-13-2012),  ninepbs (06-13-2012),  ptpete (06-13-2012) 
    glassofpinot and ptpete like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts

Awesome news! i'll have to wait until I get home to check it out. The android version I had seemed to crash on me quite a bit.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    264 Global Posts

I downloaded the app. It is much better than the android app which I was "making due" with for a while. It functioned but often hung on downloading new issues.

The native PB app is MUCH better, has a "flow"like navigation and is speedier.

Crackberry kevin should put this on crackberry as an article.

I want rocking native PB apps, Not half backed android apps (Or iOS apps for that matter)
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,490 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ninepbs View Post

Kind regards,
    Katie Lane

good because this is one app that I have sideloaded for playbook and it does not work that well. it does not crashes but it is sloooow.

Sent from Tapatalk for Playbook
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  

Just restarted my subscription. Hope there is some way to tell Economist that the Playbook app is one big reason for my doing so.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    171 Global Posts

Excellent news as the Android sideloaded application causes me battery issues! Just downloaded it and the application rocks, so much better than the sideloaded apply!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Economist App for Playbook

It is finally out for PB and it rocks!

Happy reading everyone...
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    171 Global Posts

Although, have to say, I appear to get quite a few issues when trying to offline read unfortunately, app stalls