So this is an interesting observation....

I've now had three PlayBook hardware units.

I noticed on the first two that the on the initial setup wizards, where you swipe from right to left to advance to the next screen, that it takes a real big swipe to make the action happen (like it feels like you really need to put some effort onto the glass to make it happen - not like the silkiness of the actual homescreen UI).

Then I just bought a 64GB model, and am setting it up right now, and on this one the setup wizard "swiping" is buttery smooth. Also noticed that this one has the raised power button. Wondering if there's differences here in the hardware age/initial version of software that's preloaded (prior to os update) that could account for the difference.

I swear... that first time on the first units that I did the software setup it felt like I was stuck, but all it needed was a better swipe.

Sounds kind of crazy... what did you all experience with that setup swiping?

K
    c0rinne likes this.
    04-19-11 01:51 PM
    Probably rim ironed this out and realized these things would **** off users in the initial setup. Good to hear.
    04-19-11 01:55 PM
    Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. The initial out of the box isn't that friendly if you do a light swipe and nothing happens... this new 64gb i just got feels much more polished somehow on the initial experience.. even though, by appearances, it looks exactly the same. lol. Maybe I'm just going crazy.
    04-19-11 01:59 PM
    No software could cause easier swipes and I figure this was a last minute polish.
    04-19-11 02:01 PM
    I wonder if different parts of the screen are more sensitive than others. When I went through the set up, swiping right to left was really easy/effortless.

But when I'm in the multi-task view and I want to swipe up to close an app, sometimes I have to do it twice..

Not sure.. I'm reminded when I had the Palm Pre last summer. All the swiping was smoother overall on the Palm than the Playbook. But I've only been on the PB for an hour. We'll see...
    04-19-11 02:06 PM
    64Gb here, and swiping is butter smooth
    04-19-11 02:09 PM
    I've found the screen to be quite sensitive and responsive throughout the entire UI. The setup process didn't really give a good example of a "swipe", but anyone with any prior touchscreen knowledge should be able to figure it out. But even then it was very sensitive, and continued to be that way throughout, even in Tetris. Several times I've tried to tap to flip a piece and the slightest downward motion sends the piece flying down in a way I never wanted it to go. Took some cursing and some getting used to.
    04-19-11 02:09 PM
    I noticed the swipe up to close an app was slower in the demo yesterday. Maybe swipe slower? Can't try this till I get mine when I get home tonight.
    04-19-11 02:12 PM
    mine was hard to do as well, i even restarted thinking there was an issue
    04-19-11 02:14 PM
    it was easy enough to swipe; the only problem was that i looked away at the wrong time and missed that i had to swipe on a specific part of the screen. That one took me a few seconds.
    04-19-11 02:36 PM
    I noticed the swipe up to close an app was slower in the demo yesterday. Maybe swipe slower? Can't try this till I get mine when I get home tonight.
    I noticed that too. Seemed to be less of a "flick the app away" motion and more of a "push the app up" motion. I wonder if accidental closing was a problem.
    04-19-11 02:53 PM
    I felt it was very smooth and fluid on my 32GB as well. Seems like all the gestures work very smoothly.
    04-19-11 02:54 PM
    My 64Gb is requireing heavy swipes on the setup but since it is the first Playbook I've held I cant comment on if the power button is raised or not. Seem fairly flush but not so much that I can't easily turn it on or off.

Kanuck34
    04-19-11 02:59 PM
    Kevin would you be kind enough to post pics of the power button (flushed and raised versions)? Thank u

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-19-11 03:01 PM
    swiping app away is a little dicey for me. sometimes quick sometimes have to do it twice
    04-19-11 03:05 PM
    First swipe was difficult, I suspect because it's not clear which way to swipe, and if it should be a full swipe or an edge swipe. So, I tried in all directions and all over the place, and finally figured it out. They should display an arrow onscreen to make that first swipe a no-brainer.
    04-19-11 03:28 PM
    My 64G was a little sticky on swiping during setup but soon smoothed out. Wondering if there might be a light residue on the screens that prevent good contact at first. Maybe we have to train our screen while it trains us!
    04-19-11 03:34 PM
    Mine 32gb is incredibly smooth and I had no issues with the setup scrolling
    04-19-11 03:34 PM
    There is definitely a difference in my 32GB model and 64GB. Swiping to early to tell, but the power button is raised a significant amount.
    04-19-11 04:47 PM
    Buttery smooth 64GB with raised button. Love it!
    04-19-11 05:35 PM
    BTW my 16GB power button is very flush. Much more difficult to press than the demo unit I tried in the store.
    04-19-11 05:38 PM
    Swipe to continue? Wish I could. $600 clock for me. I guess I should have went with the iPad2.

Edit: I take a picture with my Torch and it swipes itself. What the ****??

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Mathrin; 04-19-11 at 05:52 PM.
    04-19-11 05:47 PM
    When I saw "swipe to continue" at the bottom, I thought it was the iphone swipe, just at that area.

Apparently, it needs a huge swipe LOL, that took a bit to figure it out :O!
    04-19-11 06:02 PM
    Thanks so much!! I was going crazy!

So this is an interesting observation....

I've now had three PlayBook hardware units.

I noticed on the first two that the on the initial setup wizards, where you swipe from right to left to advance to the next screen, that it takes a real big swipe to make the action happen (like it feels like you really need to put some effort onto the glass to make it happen - not like the silkiness of the actual homescreen UI).

Then I just bought a 64GB model, and am setting it up right now, and on this one the setup wizard "swiping" is buttery smooth. Also noticed that this one has the raised power button. Wondering if there's differences here in the hardware age/initial version of software that's preloaded (prior to os update) that could account for the difference.

I swear... that first time on the first units that I did the software setup it felt like I was stuck, but all it needed was a better swipe.

Sounds kind of crazy... what did you all experience with that setup swiping?

K
    04-19-11 08:28 PM
    Raised or lowered button is not a deal breaker,
    but it sounds like their could be a hardware revision update
    that's on the raised button units?

Was going to pick up a pb tomorrow but concerned about not getting the latest model?
    04-19-11 08:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD