My local library has an unbelievable selection of digital books in several formats. i want to read them while i spend the next month in the hospital. is there a way to get these to work on my playbook
    05-21-11 01:17 PM
    If there is a pdf format as an option, maybe you could download them to your PlayBook and open them with Adobe Reader.
    05-21-11 02:03 PM
    Are there some good epub readers for playbook?

I like the epub format for digital books on mobile devices. Especially how you can change the text size and the lines will reposition for you. With PDF files, if you make the text too large you'll have to scroll left and right to see it all.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-21-11 02:14 PM
    So far the only reader app is Kobo and you canNOT load books that you have not gotten from their store.

Libraries do have pdf files but some of those are also protected by drm and cannot be read by ordinary versions of Adobe. There a ways of stripping drm but we probably cannot discuss them here. Maybe we can discuss Googling for "Apprentice Alfs Blog?"
    05-21-11 02:48 PM
    Overdrive (library) books usually contain DRM (Digital Rights Management) that doesn't allow you to transfer around books from device to device or comp to comp in an attempt to prevent piracy. However, for a lot of books we purchase online (itunes, kindle, kobo, etc...), these all contain DRM and in my honest opinion, should be able to remove it if needed but the companies don't want you doing that.

However, there is a relatively simple way to remove the DRM from almost ALL ebooks whether they're epub, pdf, mobi, or kindle files. Look up Python DRM scripts. If you can figure out how to install the scripts and then run them, you're golden. I'd try and explain but this forum is wayyyy too open to lay my cards on the line for anyone official to see =P
    05-21-11 04:08 PM
    Not sure this helps. But I am waiting for kindle software or a .mobi reader software package before I buy a PB. (Come on app writers or kindle or android emulation!) If you have BB you can use mobipocket to read .mobi format books.
    05-21-11 04:27 PM
    Not sure this helps. But I am waiting for kindle software or a .mobi reader software package before I buy a PB. (Come on app writers or kindle or android emulation!) If you have BB you can use mobipocket to read .mobi format books.
    I probably wouldn't have bought a PB anyway because I don't like 7" tablets in general but without a Kindle ap that sealed the deal in me getting the iPad2. I downloaded the free Amazon Kindle reader to my PC then converted the stock eBooks to PDF, how that was done can't be discussed here but I think it's ok to say Google Calibre, then opened the PDF. It was horrible just one LONG PDF file. If/when RIM comes out with a 10" PB that's finished I'll probably be all over it.
    05-21-11 04:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD