View Poll Results: Is there DUST in your front facing camera?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dust Galore

5 6.94%
  • Minor amount of Dust

15 20.83%
  • No Dust

52 72.22%
    I've noticed a whack of dust collecting under the glass at the front facing camera. I didn't notice it within the first 30 days so I'm hooped for a return of the device. I called technical support and they claim that because it is not a manufacturing or hardware or software problem I'm out of luck and the only way to have it fixed is an RMA cleaning at $300. Have a look at your front facing camera and let me know if you find any dust. Mine is easily visible, but not blatantly obvious unless you think about looking for it. When I use a magnifying glass it almost looks like the Sahara Desert in there (slight exaggeration). Has anyone else seen this?
    07-08-11 07:43 PM
    i think i have mine on the camera and on the screen.
    07-08-11 08:01 PM
    Interesting .... I wonder if we can get enough proof for RIM to consider this a manufacturing issue and get warranty cover.
    elsantojp likes this.
    07-08-11 08:03 PM
    Mine had dust and a very thin piece of hair (my dogs). Right now i dont see much difference in the pictures ans videos but if it keeps collecting soon will start affecting the quality.
    07-08-11 09:59 PM
    I can't see any particles under or even near my front camera's but, RIM just sent me a box to return my 16gb PB because there are silverish particles under the screen in the upper left area. ...It's a good thing I have 2 PB's 'cause I'd be like a crackwhore without my crack for about 2 weeks!
    07-08-11 10:33 PM
    I can't see any particles under or even near my front camera's but, RIM just sent me a box to return my 16gb PB because there are silverish particles under the screen in the upper left area. ...It's a good thing I have 2 PB's 'cause I'd be like a crackwhore without my crack for about 2 weeks!
    RRSpikes I wonder how your "silverish" particles under the screen differ from what appears to be dust in mine. How did you manage to get RIM to give you an RMA for return? In my case they claim there is no defective manufacturing or function: case closed. To me if dust is getting in that's an issue related to manufacturing.
    07-08-11 11:17 PM
    Yea what is the exact process you went through for RMA on the PB?
    07-09-11 01:00 AM
    When I was searching for info on particles under the screen of a Playbook, I came across a link to the web page shown in the pic below. I entered my PB serial number and was directed to call the phone number in red. I found out after confirming my address with the RMA tech that this number is for Canadian users...

The first tech I spoke with was very helpful and transferred me to another tech that asked me several questions before transferring me to another tech that confirmed all the info I had given and then asked me a few more questions. He then transferred me the a RMA tech that asked a few more questions before sending me an email the I had to reply to twice. The first reply was to confirm that I agreed to be held accountable if the problem was not covered under warranty and the second was yet another confirmation of my name, address and preferred contact phone number.

Be patient if you call, you may get put on hold for up to five min at a time before being transferred from one tech to another. The total call length for me was 57min 34sec.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...G_00000117.jpg
    07-10-11 08:49 AM
    I live in Qatar currently, where we get a sand storm weekly at least, and Thanks god by PB is normal without dust under screen or camera.
    07-10-11 08:58 AM
    Interesting .... I wonder if we can get enough proof for RIM to consider this a manufacturing issue and get warranty cover.
    they cannot even finish the device let alone accept rma's for such a trivial issue.

We should all call them and request an rma seeing this device will not even do the things RIM has shown in their "videos".

"here is what the new playbook can do, but we won't let you"

great company....
    07-10-11 10:38 AM
    I have a minor amount of dust on mine, but a friend of mine have a hair on it! DOn't know where it comes from, probably from volume button
    07-12-11 08:39 AM
    Do you live somewhere dusty?

Mine is not bad, but I am careful not to take it out in the dust. Don't worry, someone will be doing a youtube video on how to disassemble the Playbook.
    07-12-11 09:33 AM
    Can't you put a vacuum-cleaner on top of the buttons and see if helps?
    07-12-11 03:46 PM
    My front camera has dust under the screen... Since the day I bought the thing... Like people said above, it doesn't affect my pictures for now...

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    07-12-11 04:34 PM
    mine is dust free for now...i know if you put it in your pocket or something that has to do with like cloth...it will attract dust, just like a phone. dust is hard to get by...i learn to ignore it if it happens and if it doesnt effect the way the device works...then screw it.
    07-12-11 04:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD