My computers and phones usually test around 5Mbps through my WiFi. The BEST I can get with my BBPB is 0.96Mbps. Even transferring a file to the Playbook is 92.KBs at best. Any ideas on how get better speeds out of this??

Thanks
    03-06-12 07:21 PM
    Have you tried your wifi at a different location? Perhaps you can try the same scenario at a friend's house to see if your results are better or worst.
    03-06-12 07:49 PM
    my wifi file transfer speeds are pretty bad too, from my pc to playbook are okay, about 1Mb/s however from the playbook to a pc doesn't go past 200Kb/s.
    03-06-12 08:46 PM
    Get your routers model number and Google for increasing speed
    tweaks.
    03-06-12 09:04 PM
    Yeah. I do a lot better than that.
    03-06-12 09:46 PM
    Dam those are great speeds! I have xtreme speed Internet and I don't get those kinds of speeds!! Wth is your secret! LOL

EDIT: ok forget that! I get awesome speeds LOL
    Last edited by beman39; 03-06-12 at 09:59 PM.
    03-06-12 09:56 PM
    5.87Mbps down, 3.43Mbps up currently off my home wi-fi through my PB.

22.78 down, 3.54up wired.

Meh, decent enough.

03-06-12 10:43 PM
    Thank you MrLynd54 and Spinal for not bragging about your own results and actually commenting on the problem!

I'm disabled so I'm home on my own WiFi 24/7. I can't try another WiFi/Hot spot so I'm hoping someone can help me out. I appreciate the suggestion though. Maybe I can have my son try it at a friend's house.
    03-06-12 11:52 PM
    Thank you MrLynd54 and Spinal for not bragging about your own results and actually commenting on the problem!

I'm disabled so I'm home on my own WiFi 24/7. I can't try another WiFi/Hot spot so I'm hoping someone can help me out. I appreciate the suggestion though. Maybe I can have my son try it at a friend's house.
    Hi Batman,
    for what it worse, you may try to setup tour wifi again, especially if your router is quite recent and has WPS capabilities. Therefore :

1/ Go in settings (gear top right the home screen) / wifi
    2/ Stop the Wifi (important)
    3/ List down the "select a network" dropdown to "Recorded Networks" (sry, translated)
    4/ Hit the pen icon and delete your home network (or any that is not working nicely)
    5/ List up to "Avail. Networks" in the dropdown and Start the Wifi again

6/ IF YOU have WPS enabled router :
    Do not select your network in the list, instead, hit "Use WPS"
    Then, press the WPS button on your router (usually you can also do this with the router interface that can be accessed with your browser) and follow instructions.
    ELSE
    Select your network in the list and follow instructions
    So this is the basics to set it up again. Tell us about how it went.

P.S: my results attached for reference.
    03-07-12 02:02 AM
    Thanks Superfly_FR

That did improve it a bit. 1.64Mbps

I'll keep playing with it to see if I can get it up to 5Mbps where it should be.

Any other ideas are welcome and I'll try 'em out.
    03-07-12 10:19 AM
    Update the router firmware from their web site. If you have an old modem, consider replacing. The new ones are faster and cheaper. I used ActionTec Pk5000 on a DSL line that ran quite fast. I am not at that location now but when I did the OS2 download, it did it in 10 minutes. I also did the download for several friends and the time was the same for all of them. I think OS2 was just over 405 mb in size.
    03-07-12 12:56 PM
    Can you provide more details of your wifi router manufacturer/model number. What settings are using using on your wifi? WEP/WPA/WPA2 with AES/or? etc. Is it running as Wifi 802.11B or G or N or mixed? etc.

In playbook settings -> Wifi -> QuestionMark -> Wifi-Information what does it show as the connection data rate (you can also see signal strength, security type, network type etc here).

I was having some speed issues on wifi (only playbook is on wifi, everything else is wired). What I found the problem in my case was, that the wifi router was connecting to my switch at 10M, instead of 100M. The wifi router is old, after restarting/resetting it multiple times, I got it to connect at 100M to the switch. Then I re-tested and basically solved the issue at this point.

You can further tweak the performance, by changing some other parameters as well, like Tx Power, packet size, etc. There is another thread where someone posted various settings and results in the playbook section.

After tweaking my PB now shows between 18-19 Mbps and for comparison my desktop shows 1 or 2 more usually 19-20 Mbps. It was less than 5 Mbps in the beginning.
    Last edited by z_scorpio_z; 03-07-12 at 01:15 PM.
    03-07-12 01:11 PM
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/1819716240.png

Not sure if my result has copied right.
    Just follow the link (this is a slow one)
    Last edited by 1959gazza; 03-07-12 at 01:17 PM.
    03-07-12 01:14 PM
    My speeds but I have to say do vary....connected to belkin n router on 50mb connection
    03-07-12 01:58 PM
    my playbook gets 1.5Mbps down which is where my internet caps at anyway
    03-07-12 02:02 PM
    My playbook can never surpass 2.5mbps using the speedtest app. However, using Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test I get a consistent 15mbps (advertised 16). Not sure how you were testing your speed test but give that link a try! Anyone know why the discrepancy between the two?
    Last edited by Vector-SS; 03-07-12 at 04:33 PM.
    03-07-12 04:17 PM
    z_scorpio_z,

There is another thread where someone posted various settings and results in the playbook section
    Do you happen to have the link for that page??

When it comes to computers, I can do just about anything. For some reason, routers throw me a curve.

Here are the current setting I'm using.

D-Link DIR-655

Connection Type: DHCP Client
    Network Status : Established
    StreamEngine : Enabled
    Wireless Radio : Enabled
    802.11 Mode : 11bgn
    Channel Width : 20 MHz
    Channel : 1
    WISH : Inactive
    Wi-Fi Protected Setup : Enabled/Configured

BBPB Settings (Setup using WPS)

Channel 1:
    signal strength : -44dBm
    security type : WPA Personal (Setup using WPS)
    network type : 802.11g/n
    Data Rate: 65Mbps
    03-07-12 05:19 PM
    z_scorpio_z

Where'd ya go??

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!!
    03-20-12 12:22 PM
    I would look at your router Just tested and got 14.71 meg downloading on my linksys
    03-20-12 01:07 PM
    When I'm connected I have good speeds. I get 10Mbps down/5.5Mbps up over my home WiFi on my Playbook. Just a little slower then what I get from my desktop from the same spot in the house over WiFi. 17Mbps/6Mbps. I'm on Comcast with supposed speeds of 20Mbps/5Mbps.
    03-20-12 01:21 PM
    When I'm connected I have good speeds. I get 10Mbps down/5.5Mbps up over my home WiFi on my Playbook. Just a little slower then what I get from my desktop from the same spot in the house over WiFi. 17Mbps/6Mbps. I'm on Comcast with supposed speeds of 20Mbps/5Mbps.
    Like James here, my Comcast service is rated at 20Mb/5Mb. I get better than that, though...
    03-20-12 02:47 PM
    I LOVE that everyone is using this as a place to brag about their own results instead of offering solutions to the problem!
    balding1 and OneArmJack like this.
    03-20-12 03:13 PM
    I LOVE that everyone is using this as a place to brag about their own results instead of offering solutions to the problem!
    And I love that several people did contribute troubleshooting recommendations before we started to brag -- solely to ensure that the OP knew his results weren't normal, of course! Gotta love the helpful CB community!
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    03-20-12 03:18 PM
    Yeah. Real helpful. Just close this thread. I'll have to find a forum that isn't run by children.
    03-20-12 04:02 PM
    Yeah. Real helpful. Just close this thread. I'll have to find a forum that isn't run by children.
    Close a thread where potential solutions to the OP's issue have been posted before the OP can respond as to their effectiveness? Such a comment makes it seem that your initial implication that your concern was for the OP getting his issue resolved was hooey, and you merely wished to criticize others for no reason other than to criticize.

Now, that is a good example of something that is childish and unhelpful!
    03-20-12 04:18 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD