The Downfall of RIM started when apple decided to put an mp3 player to a phone and RIM fell a sleep at the wheel. saw this happen and decided it will never catch on. while apps, games, and music was the center of other companies for revenue. RIM decided that was worthless. They also offered apps and storage for music but some of their phones wouldn't even hold 1gb of memory to download apps. while developers and consumers were uploading and downloading apps. RIM was sleeping. Fast forward a couple of years RIM see their market shares dropping and want their customers back. but they are so far behind the pack. They bought a great company to get their software but decide to release their "flagship tablet" before the software was compatible with their native apps that separated RIM from their competitors. before they can get developers to create apps. Which caused analysts to criticize their tablets, and customers who were die hard customers who bought the playbook at launch day (like myself) to get alienated by the lack of quality apps and a half *** tablet. than instead of working around the clock on their issues and releasing the updated OS in a timely manner like they promised. They go thru broken promises and alienate the customers they have left. while we all wait for the upcoming OS hoping that this is going to be the greatest thing. I tell you expect to be disappointed because of RIM's track record i don't see it fulfilling anything we want. instead of kindle or nook apps we will be stuck with kobo(where i cant even purchase a book because of errors). instead of skype we have bb own video chat where we dont know anyone with it to even try it. until RIM sways these developers to develop for RIM this tablet is going to be obsolete very soon.
    jmatalon, jerry12, bigzdog and 2 others like this.
    10-29-11 02:10 PM
    Cool story, definitely needed its own thread since nobody has raised these thoughts before...
    kbz1960, NickA, Dr.Deebs and 15 others like this.
    10-29-11 02:14 PM
    OP: Paragraphs are your friend.
    10-29-11 02:24 PM
    Yaaaaawnnn!!
    10-29-11 02:29 PM
    ...the lack of quality apps and a half *** tablet...while we all wait for the upcoming OS hoping that this is going to be the greatest thing.
    Valid points. However, the PlayBook launched with 3,000 apps in April. It was more than what Android tablets launched with. Now there are several times that number of PlayBook apps.

I've a friend who uses Android smartphones. He's using the PlayBook right now and says that there are enough apps on the PlayBook. Within each category (for example in the "Health and Wellness" category and the "Fitness" subcategory) there are more apps than anyone would ever need. While you may not be able to use Skype yet there are substitutes for every app you might want. As for Kindle, you can already use it through the Android player (yes it requires more steps to get Android player).

In terms of the "greatest thing", the PlayBook Tablet OS IS the best OS on the market. Try comparing it to iOS on the iPad or Android on the Galaxy Tab. The PlayBook OS is much more user friendly than Android, better for gestures and much better for multi-tasking than the iPad.

if you're looking for PlayBook apps we review them on our Youtube channel PlayBookMoonLanding's Channel - YouTube
    10-29-11 02:43 PM
    The Downfall of RIM started when apple decided to put an mp3 player to a phone and RIM fell a sleep at the wheel. saw this happen and decided it will never catch on. while apps, games, and music was the center of other companies for revenue. RIM decided that was worthless. They also offered apps and storage for music but some of their phones wouldn't even hold 1gb of memory to download apps. while developers and consumers were uploading and downloading apps. RIM was sleeping. Fast forward a couple of years RIM see their market shares dropping and want their customers back. but they are so far behind the pack. They bought a great company to get their software but decide to release their "flagship tablet" before the software was compatible with their native apps that separated RIM from their competitors. before they can get developers to create apps. Which caused analysts to criticize their tablets, and customers who were die hard customers who bought the playbook at launch day (like myself) to get alienated by the lack of quality apps and a half *** tablet. than instead of working around the clock on their issues and releasing the updated OS in a timely manner like they promised. They go thru broken promises and alienate the customers they have left. while we all wait for the upcoming OS hoping that this is going to be the greatest thing. I tell you expect to be disappointed because of RIM's track record i don't see it fulfilling anything we want. instead of kindle or nook apps we will be stuck with kobo(where i cant even purchase a book because of errors). instead of skype we have bb own video chat where we dont know anyone with it to even try it. until RIM sways these developers to develop for RIM this tablet is going to be obsolete very soon.
    "....and when the 372th, or so, disciple logged on to the forums, he spoke of the follies of the RIMnites and predicted their inevitable demise. They were not deserving of the grace once bestowed upon them. They had become wicked and thus condemned to their fate....blah blah blah"

Wake me up when all the prophets have finished....
    10-29-11 03:05 PM
    all companies have their ups and downs, Apple had their down way back in the 80's, RIM is having a down right now, what counts is the ability to get up and the future will show us, no need to waste any time on this issue.......
    d3adcrab and bbfan1040 like this.
    10-29-11 03:14 PM
    all companies have their ups and downs, Apple had their down way back in the 80's, RIM is having a down right now, what counts is the ability to get up and the future will show us, no need to waste any time on this issue.......
    And that's exactly what rim is doing: "Not wasting anytime on this issue!" They are waiting for that automatic upward adjustment that they expect rather than fixing the pb's many deficiencies.

Poof, oh, look, we needn't do anything the pb will sell itself just as it is or maybe it will sell if we promise we will do something even if we don't do a thing.
    towz4u, LewLew23 and bigzdog like this.
    10-29-11 03:57 PM
    I'm a big BlackBerry fan myself and I love my Bold 9930 and my Playbook but I agree with you that RIM seemed to believe that security and push-email and free messaging would be enough.
    I also agree that they are late to the media, content, apps party. However, I believe RIM has a chance to make a strong comeback. Why?

Security and the quality of RIMs e-mail and messaging are more difficult to match by competitors than for RIM to get more apps and content. RIM already mentioned that they have signed agreements with media companies to release over 10k titles, they also have BB Music on the way.

RIM is working on something big for the QNX/BBX phones and for the Playbook but they are having trouble with implementation.

Here is the bottom line. RIM has a level of security that just can't be matched by the competition because the platforms were created around content (apple) and open source (google) and now they are trying to slap it on. It does not work very well as the countless security breaches on competitors will show. If RIM can deliver world class content and UI, then why on earth would anyone not buy their stuff? The answer is they would.

However, the competition, especially from google is going to be a real challenge. Apple came out with a phone that really did revolutionize things in my view, but the incremental improvements, although real and material are no longer revolutionary. Google however, has released an open source that has unleashed innovation that just boggles the mind.

At worst, RIM will always have a cult following for those of us that care about security and reliable, real time communications over media (and there are quite a few of us) but if RIM wants to get to the best case scenario, they will need to deliver a mind blowing media experience wrapped in an iron cast security envelope. If this happens RIM could go back to number one.

I know many people now hate or at least think poorly of Mike L. but I still have faith in him and the dedicated RIM team. I was truly moved by his public apology and believed him. I was also impressed by his command of the issues on content and apps during DevCon. For those that don't think he can do it, I would suggest you consider that this guy took a concept and created a multi-billion dollar industry leader in less than ten years. I think he is getting ready to do it again.

As I look at the recent acquisitions:
    QNX - a secure and reliable platform for the future
    TAT - known as the best app developers and UI creators
    JayCut - cloud based video editing
    newBay - media content on the web
    I believe they got the memo on content and are bringing all these technologies together.

The ball is in RIM's court. I hope they do well and I would love to see them on top again but either way, I'm sticking with BlackBerry because my priorities are security and reliable, real time communications and because, as I said, I love their products.

I'm probably a dork for saying it but I have faith Mike L. has the ability to lead this company to greater success and now has embraced media and content and after looking at the TAT tools for BlackBerry, I think developers will keep coming.

By the way, the biggest competitor to BlackBerry is still the iPhone and I still don't see that as an option.

Here is the latest on the facts on the 4S battery life:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1064532.html
    Siri gimmick/beta:
    http://www.bloomberg.com/video/78442616/
    Apple Security:
    I don't need to post any link. If you don't know of the countless security breaches just google it and you will see fifty of them.

So, the iPhone4 dropped your calls (I think that is relevant - we are talking about a darned phone are we not?) and the 4S can't get you through the day (I think this is relevant, especially since this phone does not allow you to swap batteries). Further, hackers already broke into it so where is the safety in this? or the purpose? People say that if you enjoy RIM products you are just drinking the Kool-aid. Really? Who is drinking the Kool-aid? I'm not in the camp that says media does not matter, it does. It should just not be the priority of a rational person purchasing a smart-phone.

Yes, RIM has problems and the apple marketing machine will cover that up again as a minor glitch but I don't think a phone that drops my calls, does not have enough battery to get me through the day, is riddled with security problems and does not even allow me to swap batteries is a smart option. I don't care how pretty it is or how much marketing dollars are spent on it. Just because more people are jumping off a bridge does not make me want to join them. I'm sticking with my BlackBerry.
    Last edited by guerllamo7; 10-29-11 at 07:54 PM.
    10-29-11 04:03 PM
    Cool story, definitely needed its own thread since nobody has raised these thoughts before...
    I don't think the OP realized your sarcasm.
    10-29-11 04:07 PM
    There must be at least a thousand threads like this since 2008.
    Mvor7 likes this.
    10-29-11 04:09 PM
    Well said Guerllmo7.
    10-29-11 04:11 PM
    people on here are soo nieve.. they yawn and make stupid remarks but "louiefern" speaks the truth
    10-29-11 04:31 PM
    Tommy, I think people are more yawning at the fact that the OP is just repeating what has been said by countless others on here. The comments are more of a "yeah yeah, heard that before".
    Last edited by RicZoh; 10-29-11 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Spelling
    10-29-11 04:39 PM
    The Downfall of RIM started when apple decided to put an mp3 player to a phone and RIM fell a sleep at the wheel. saw this happen and decided it will never catch on. while apps, games, and music was the center of other companies for revenue. RIM decided that was worthless. [...]
    I disagree. RIM's issues began when they stubbornly held steadfast to their beloved keyboard and TOTALLY missed the mark with touchscreen devices. RIM's superior keyboard took up too much screen real estate and the browsing experiencing was slowly becoming the preferred use of smartphone devices (Yep, even over and above texting).

By the time RIM introduced the Torch, it was way to little way too late.

Sad, I think because the BlackBerry product is still superior in my judgement.
    10-29-11 05:04 PM
    Playbook needs a MAJOR update to OS1, NOT a too early Android release!
    Simply adding folders (as in OS2 beta) would be a huge improvemet.
    Having print capability would be huge too.
    Just give us what you already have please Blackberry.
    We are still your fans!
    10-29-11 05:32 PM
    I think the downfall began when they started trying to appeal to the consumer market with countless variations of what were supposed to appeal to general consumers. Pearl, Style, bold in designer colors etc... etc then slam! Iphone hit and they stupidly tried to emulate it, (Storm?)and have been trying to play catch up ever since.

RIM should have stuck to business and remain a leader in what they knew and did best. I don't think it's too late to do that , in fact I think they have the lead. Let the android and i-fad have the consumer entertainment market, you'll never catch up. Get back to business and professional devices.
    howarmat and danimalchil like this.
    10-29-11 05:32 PM
    I disagree. RIM's issues began when they stubbornly held steadfast to their beloved keyboard and TOTALLY missed the mark with touchscreen devices. RIM's superior keyboard took up too much screen real estate and the browsing experiencing was slowly becoming the preferred use of smartphone devices (Yep, even over and above texting).

By the time RIM introduced the Torch, it was way to little way too late.

Sad, I think because the BlackBerry product is still superior in my judgement.
    disagree. The Storm, the first responder to the iphone, had no keyboard, right?

The whole reason a lot of people, especially blackberry users rejected the iphone (AND the Storm) was for the very reason it had no real keyboard.

Yes, the keyboard takes a lot of real estate, but so does a virtual keyboard, which pops up and covers half of what you are working on at the most inconvenient times,... For someone who's primary use is email and messaging, or text entry and PIM management, what use is the rare extra screen space, when the keyboard is always needed anyway?

Now if all you do is web browsing and entering URL's -no point in a real keyboard - the virtual is just fine.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 10-29-11 at 05:52 PM.
    10-29-11 05:35 PM
    RIM is working on something big ...
    Yep, have been for years. Somehow none of it has ever been completed.

I disagree. RIM's issues began when they stubbornly held steadfast to their beloved keyboard and TOTALLY missed the mark with touchscreen devices.
    No i dont quite agree. Keyboard or screen, the real issue was them stubbornly holding steadfast to outdated hardware- both in terms of slow processors and insufficient memory... While the market insteady voted with their money and said "we want faster, smoother ui's and more memory for apps and storage", RIM said "no, we wont make and sell such devices"...

...year after year, bad news after bad news....
    Last edited by kb5zht; 10-29-11 at 05:45 PM.
    CommanderElvis likes this.
    10-29-11 05:40 PM
    The whole reason a lot of people, especially blackberry users rejected the iphone (AND the Storm) was for the very reason it had no real keyboard.
    True. But as long as the iPhone alone outsells the entire BlackBerry line by 70%, this argument is not at all compelling.
    10-29-11 05:40 PM
    There must be at least a thousand threads like this since 2008.
    And 2,000 since the pb went public!
    avt123 and JeepBB like this.
    10-29-11 06:55 PM
    It will be nicer if you can foresee what would happen and write this thread way back in 2007, than to repeat what many already said..it's getting tired

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-29-11 07:54 PM
    so what most of you think is shut up and eat whats been given to you? that is a shame that most accept mediocrity.

i am a blackberry fan for years, i have argued and backed up RIM for way to long. But now there is nothing to fight about. They trip and seem that they can't get back up.

it seems very impossible that many of you can just accept that. "yeah yeah we heard this before my blackberry is not the best anymore in fact its not even on the top 3 but Hail RIM forever". talk about drinking the kool-aid.

My point is if we don't express our frustrations and dissatisfaction the people behind RIM's walls won't wake up

P.S for those of you that love paragraphs i hope i have enough now
    10-29-11 08:38 PM
    I think the downfall began when they started trying to appeal to the consumer market with countless variations of what were supposed to appeal to general consumers. Pearl, Style, bold in designer colors etc... etc then slam! Iphone hit and they stupidly tried to emulate it, (Storm?)and have been trying to play catch up ever since.

RIM should have stuck to business and remain a leader in what they knew and did best. I don't think it's too late to do that , in fact I think they have the lead. Let the android and i-fad have the consumer entertainment market, you'll never catch up. Get back to business and professional devices.
    I won't disagree. I think RIM has their niche, and there is nothing wrong with that. I agree... I think they underestimated the iPhone, and tried too hard to emulate it.

I think they do need to heed consumer needs, but they need to stop thinking of making the "next iPhone killer."
    howarmat and dceaton like this.
    10-29-11 08:49 PM
    so what most of you think is shut up and eat whats been given to you? that is a shame that most accept mediocrity.

i am a blackberry fan for years, i have argued and backed up RIM for way to long. But now there is nothing to fight about. They trip and seem that they can't get back up.

it seems very impossible that many of you can just accept that. "yeah yeah we heard this before my blackberry is not the best anymore in fact its not even on the top 3 but Hail RIM forever". talk about drinking the kool-aid.

My point is if we don't express our frustrations and dissatisfaction the people behind RIM's walls won't wake up

P.S for those of you that love paragraphs i hope i have enough now
    I think they are well aware all ready.
    lotuslanderz likes this.
    10-29-11 08:56 PM
99 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD