View Poll Results: Dolphin or native

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dolphin

9 6.34%
  • Native

133 93.66%
    Do you prefare native browser or the dolphin browser?

I like the chrome like UI on dolphin but the native browser beats it performance wize
    04-05-12 03:27 PM
    Tried Dolphin and deleted it.
    Creaulx likes this.
    04-05-12 05:38 PM
    Those are the only two choices we get? What about all the other ones available?
    04-05-12 06:36 PM
    I tried Dolphin during my Android player craziness period, played with it for a week, did not found any significant advantages over the native browser and deleted it… and never looked back. The native one does the job. Is it perfect? no, but what is?
    04-05-12 07:14 PM
    Native Dolphin and I'll be happy
    Jeovex likes this.
    04-05-12 08:05 PM
    I tried Dolphin during my Android player craziness period, played with it for a week, did not found any significant advantages over the native browser and deleted it… and never looked back. The native one does the job. Is it perfect? no, but what is?
    What about?

- Search on page
    - Better bookmark management (nonexistent in the stock browser)
    - Add-on support (e.g. Web to PDF, Last Pass, Last FM, Reader Mode, eBay search, and many many more)
    - Additional swipe features (e.g. swipe from left to call for the list of bookmarks)
    - Customizable swipe gestures (e.g. for frequently visited sites)
    - Voice search/control
    - Save page
    - Remember form data
    - Ability to back-up settings, bookmarks, etc.
    - Syncing

Edit:

- Search/URL Address bar suggestions
    - Share page (BT, Facebook, Email, IM, Skype, etc.)
    - Forced Desktop agent/mode
    - Auto clean history on exit
    - Themes, customization
    - Webpage screencut/screenshot
    Last edited by kennyliu; 04-06-12 at 03:36 AM.
    04-05-12 08:15 PM
    It can be better but i say native.
    04-05-12 08:18 PM
    What about?

- Search on page
    - Better bookmark management (nonexistent in the stock browser)
    - Add-on support
    - Additional swipe features (e.g. swipe from left to call for the list of bookmarks)
    - Customizable swipe gestures (e.g. for frequently visited sites)
    - Voice search
    - Save page
    - Remember form data
    - Ability to back-up settings, bookmarks, etc.
    - Syncing

native Dolphin would be awesome. I've been using sideloaded 7.5 version and it was good. however I switched back to secure browser as the latest update is just awesome.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    kennyliu likes this.
    04-05-12 08:20 PM
    Not a fan of dolphin. I've used it on multiple os's and it just isn't for me. meh...
    04-05-12 11:31 PM
    native.. didn't care much for dolphin
    04-05-12 11:35 PM
    I have downloaded Dolphin and tried it. But, it's not good over native. Delete it. I like Native~~~
    04-06-12 12:50 AM
    The question should be "Would you use Dolphin over the stock browser if Dolphin was native (non Android port)?". I am sure the answers would be different if that was the case.

Dolphin beats the stock browser feature-wise (the PB stock browser is stone age basic). The only reason people would choose the stock browser would be the UI, if anything. Although I prefer Dolphin's UI. It just needs little redesign to make it look like a PBOS native app.

I hope we will actually see an alternative NATIVE browser comparable to Dolphin. Or I hope the stock browser will eventually evolve to be on par with Dolphin.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 04-06-12 at 01:42 AM.
    04-06-12 01:34 AM
    The question should be "Would you use Dolphin over the stock browser if Dolphin was native (non Android port)?". I am sure the answers would be different if that was the case.

Dolphin beats the stock browser feature-wise (the PB stock browser is stone age basic). The only reason people would choose the stock browser would be the UI, if anything. Although I prefer Dolphin's UI. It just needs little redesign to make it look like a PBOS native app.

I hope we will actually see an alternative NATIVE browser comparable to Dolphin. Or I hope the stock browser will eventually evolve to be on par with Dolphin.
    I have used it on gingerbread...and you guys are not missing much...
    04-06-12 02:08 AM
    I have used it on gingerbread...and you guys are not missing much...
    Any reason, apart from the UI?

I also use it on my phone and it is miles ahead of the PB browser in terms of features and functionality. See my post above.

Also, I just discovered that Dolphin HD offers "fuller" web experience than the PB browser through its forced desktop mode
    Last edited by kennyliu; 04-06-12 at 02:22 AM.
    Pearl9100 likes this.
    04-06-12 02:16 AM
    Any reason, apart from the UI?

I also use it on my phone and it is miles ahead of the PB browser in terms of features. See my post above.

Also, I just discovered that Dolphin HD offers "fuller" web experience than the PB browser through its forced desktop mode
    I can TOTALLY understand those who use a lot of those features. But for me, I am a very vanilla kind of guy who doesn't go out to download a ton of apps or go out of my way to configure apps. I don't even use bookmarks. So for me, the native browser (whether it be on android, ios, windows, or bb or qnx) more than suffices for my needs. The only time I used a 3rd party browser was on my pearl 8100...which was severely lacking in the web browsing department...But that phone is like 6 years old and pre-iphone...so I can't fault it on that...

I tried to use the dolphin browser so that I could see some websites in desktop mode (I forgot which ones)...but it doesn't always work...so I just end up use the native browser...no biggy for me.
    Last edited by Pearl9100; 04-06-12 at 02:41 AM.
    kennyliu likes this.
    04-06-12 02:28 AM
    I can TOTALLY understand those who use a lot of those features. But for me, I am a very vanilla kind of guy who doesn't go out to download a ton of apps or go out of my way to configure apps. I don't even use bookmarks. So for me, the native browser (whether it be on android, ios, windows, or bb or qnx) more than suffices for my needs. The only time I used a 3rd party browser was on my pearl 8100...which was severely lacking in the web browsing department...But that phone is like 6 years old and pre-iphone...so I can't fault it on that...

I tried to use the dolphin browser so that I could see some websites in desktop mode (I forgot which ones)...but it doesn't always work...so I just end up use the native browser...no biggy for me.
    Yeah, I also don't use most of the features, but I can imagine other people may. It's always good to have options but not use them, rather than not having them in the first place.

However, I do sometimes get frustrated when I, for example, can't search for a word on a page or can't organize my bookmarks.
    Eakle likes this.
    04-06-12 02:46 AM
    Yeah, I also don't use most of the features, but I can imagine other people may. It's always good to have options but not use them, rather than not having them in the first place.

However, I do sometimes get frustrated when I, for example, can't search for a word on a page or can't organize my bookmarks.
    Good points.

The only thing that would make me switch to a 3rd party browser is if they are more stable the native browser. I, however, have yet to test if 3rd party browsers are more stable and am too lazy to do so myself. I'll let others test it out and let me know what's up.
    04-06-12 03:08 AM
    I'll go for the first browser to give me adblock!
    Does anyone know if it's possible to sideload extensions for dolphin? I just get directed to the Android store.
    04-06-12 04:29 AM
    I'll put up with a poof here and there and a lack of features over a laggy experience.
    04-06-12 07:08 AM
    I started with native when I got my PB and the browser worked well. Hated the fact there was no bookmark management. I switched to Dolphin and it wasn't as smooth as the native but I liked the bookmark management enough to stick with it. Once I read the trick of managing bookmarks using HTML files in the native browser, I exported all my desktop bookmarks in 6 different HTML files, copied and bookmarked those in the native browser and haven't looked back since. I also deleted Dolphin.
    Hgouck likes this.
    04-06-12 08:37 AM
    I sideloaded and used Dolphin for about a week. I liked it well enough and really enjoyed it once I got all the gestures down. However, the thing I didn't like is when I would use overdrive to look for books to checkout, it would always prompt me to choose a browser. That just drove me crazy, so I uninstalled Dolphin.
    04-06-12 08:55 AM
    Dolphin is toooo slow and not supporting Indian languages
    04-06-12 09:16 AM
    Try Skyfire. Sideload it, it's pretty decent. It has the best of both worlds
    04-06-12 10:10 AM
    downloaded the dolphin browser just for the heck of it despite negative reviews bout it and for the fact that its my fave browser on my past android phones, but like what've said on this thread, its sloooow, buggy and not reliable, hope they update it, for now the native browser works for me... for now

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-06-12 02:19 PM
    Native. I liked dolphin on Android but not on here. Dolphin was too slow for me.

Sent with Tapatalk from my Blackberry Playbook
    04-06-12 02:37 PM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD