I just downloaded Dolphin Web Browser from Apple World, at first I thought it was configured for mobile phone vertical display only but once it had time to start the first time it all straightened out, I swear the horrid checker board is gone. I loaded several loaded Web pages like tv guide and, sorry, Crackberry and so far no checkerboard! Seems to be a very sophisticated browser, I may dump Simple+, even though I paid for Simple+. Dolphin is free. Anyone else using Dolphin? Your thoughts!
    TNNurse likes this.
    12-04-12 09:28 PM
    Dolphin is nowhere near as fast as Simple Browser, is nowhere near as smooth as simple browser, nor does it support flash. So, no, I'm not impressed with it. Whos cares about checkerboarding if page loads take twice as long.
    12-04-12 10:03 PM
    I agree I deleted Dolphin after trying it for a couple weeks. It was slow and choppy.

Sent from my BlackBerry by Choice using Tapatalk
    12-04-12 10:21 PM
    Checkerboard will be a thing of the past soon enough. Remember the Playbook supports full FLASH and renders a site the way it was meant to be seen by the web developer of the site. It may be faster but you're not viewing the entire site either.. I deleted mine as well after a week.
    12-04-12 11:21 PM
    Checkerboarding usually goes hand in hand with Javascript, and I seem to recall the default for Dolphin is Javascript Enabled -> No. Turn off Javascript in any browser and checkerboarding pretty much goes away.

Unfortunately, many websites depend on Javascript for full functionality. Crackberry requires it if you want to Like a post (hint, hint).
    Last edited by dugggggg; 12-05-12 at 12:41 AM.
    katesbb, Dphildiver and ricocan like this.
    12-05-12 12:30 AM
    I've had nexus 7 for couple of weeks and I did some tests. playbook version is slower but not that much slower. it is pretty fast considering that androud environment is emulated on the go. it is actually pretty impressive. having said that nexus 7 version is fast and smooth

Sent from Blackberry Playbook using TapaTalk 2
    12-05-12 09:38 AM
    Checkerboarding usually goes hand in hand with Javascript...
    Is the JavaScript slowdown a BlackBerry thing? Or does it slow Android and iOS down too?

I knew it slowed our phones down, but I assumed the PB would handle it better, being a totally different and new system.
    12-05-12 10:01 AM
    dolphin is good on the PB for added funtionality since the default PB browser has almost none. Dolphin doesnt run for me all that well though. Its 10x better on an actually android device.
    OniBerry likes this.
    12-05-12 10:21 AM
    Is the JavaScript slowdown a BlackBerry thing? Or does it slow Android and iOS down too?

I knew it slowed our phones down, but I assumed the PB would handle it better, being a totally different and new system.
    Think of Javascript as an additional process/application that requires additional CPU cycles. It also has additional memory requirements which may cause paging of the limited RAM in phones as well as tablets.

But I think the biggest problem with Javascript is that it is used heavily for advertisements, the content of which often comes from overloaded, centralized servers, forcing the browser to pause briefly while these web requests are fulfilled and/or timed out.

Keep in mind that checkerboarding is unique to PlayBook OS's graphical display engine---on other devices you just see blank space. BB10 may well do away with the checkerboarding, but the slowness of Javascript will remain as long as portable devices have these limitations.
    12-05-12 10:45 AM
    Last time I checked, there was a severe bottleneck of network speed to Android apps. In my tests, I was getting speeds of around 3-4Mbps in the stock browser, which dropped down to something like 0.1 Mbps in Dolphin. Nothing wrong with Dolphin browser, just the connection speed is reduced for Android apps compared to native.

Plus, as it's Android it doesn't support flash as mentioned above, due to the fact that the PB's Android player doesn't have flash support.
    12-05-12 10:51 AM
    Does Dolphin filter ads?
    ('was my key reason to buy SB+)
    playbookpa and QWKSNKE like this.
    12-05-12 11:07 AM
    I just started using the dolphin browser again (cause the native browser keeps giving url errors when trying to access my posts in forums)...my biggest gripe i have with it has to do with this site...just going to the crackberry homepage FORCES the ad that is normally in the top left corner to open up full screen and i can't avoid it. Not only that but it plays each and every time i click on an article or switch pages...it does not do this when using the native browser...other than that, it does seem faster on certain sites but when it opens up ads on it's own without giving me the option to minimize or turn it off makes me want to throw it up against the wall...

Also on a semi-related note, i downloaded the crackberry forum app and whenever i use the dolphin browser it gives me some kind of warning that it has to close the crackberry forum app cause it's not responding, even though i never opened it to begin with. I guess it somehow runs in the background cause it's an android app so now i wonder if all android apps run in the background if you open the dolphin browser...for the record those are the only 2 android apps i have on my playbook... Anybody with ideas, tips for these problems?
    12-05-12 01:06 PM
    Isn't FLASH going to become a non-issue since Adobe is no longer updating/supporting it? Yeah, our PB's still run it but its fast becoming a moot advantage. I still can't get some things to stream properly on the PB.
    12-05-12 01:12 PM
    I just started using the dolphin browser again (cause the native browser keeps giving url errors when trying to access my posts in forums)...my biggest gripe i have with it has to do with this site...just going to the crackberry homepage FORCES the ad that is normally in the top left corner to open up full screen and i can't avoid it. Not only that but it plays each and every time i click on an article or switch pages...it does not do this when using the native browser...other than that, it does seem faster on certain sites but when it opens up ads on it's own without giving me the option to minimize or turn it off makes me want to throw it up against the wall...

Also on a semi-related note, i downloaded the crackberry forum app and whenever i use the dolphin browser it gives me some kind of warning that it has to close the crackberry forum app cause it's not responding, even though i never opened it to begin with. I guess it somehow runs in the background cause it's an android app so now i wonder if all android apps run in the background if you open the dolphin browser...for the record those are the only 2 android apps i have on my playbook... Anybody with ideas, tips for these problems?
    You can download advanced manager to show you what is running in the background and shut it down. Crackberry forums app will open itself back up eventually it seems as it is almost always running when i open advanced manager.
    12-05-12 01:13 PM
    Id like to see an html 5 test or sunspider on one of these third party browsers on bb10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-05-12 04:52 PM
    Dolphin browser on playbook is a crap lol. LAGGY and CHOPPY. Just go to engadget website and you'll see.
    12-05-12 06:03 PM
    Dolphin browser on playbook is a crap lol. LAGGY and CHOPPY. Just go to engadget website and you'll see.
    I haven't tried Dolphin, but did try Simple Browser (free version). For the sites I went to SB was hopeless. Back to using Native browser and it is working well. I have it set on Private Browsing (after setting log in data) so no more logging in. For a couple of sites, I know to turn off Java so they will load properly. Not very good still, but the best we have. I did see somewhere that there is now a Firefox for Android. Wonder if we could get a version of that (or Chrome or even IE)
    12-05-12 06:24 PM
    i have dolphin on my playbook for one reason: Hookt's in-browser chat doesn't work on the native browser.
    12-05-12 06:35 PM
    wow is right . . I wonder if its a playbook thing because I've run dolphin hd on my motorola xoom for a long time and it has been the best of all I've tried. Seriously. (not trolling, I'm on crackberry because my phone is a 9650, the title caught my attention).
    12-05-12 08:27 PM
    dolphin is good on the PB for added funtionality since the default PB browser has almost none. Dolphin doesnt run for me all that well though. Its 10x better on an actually android device.
    it is better indeed. I am runing sideloaded 8.0 on PB.works well

Sent from Blackberry Playbook using TapaTalk 2
    12-05-12 08:34 PM
    Isn't FLASH going to become a non-issue since Adobe is no longer updating/supporting it? Yeah, our PB's still run it but its fast becoming a moot advantage. I still can't get some things to stream properly on the PB.
    That's puzzling since yesterday i was prompted that an update is available for flash on my pc.
    12-05-12 08:43 PM
    You can download advanced manager to show you what is running in the background and shut it down. Crackberry forums app will open itself back up eventually it seems as it is almost always running when i open advanced manager.
    Thanks, but like i said, i only have 2 android apps, the dolphin browser and the crackberry app which is a given that it's running (even though i haven't opened it) and it randomly asks me to shut it down... Now as for those ads that i have no control of, is it the same for everyone that uses dolphin?
    12-05-12 08:49 PM
    I've been playing around with Dolphin for a while now, and yes, it's laggy and slow, but I still like it. For an Android app, it doesn't run that horribly on the PB. It has a lot of nice features and I still hope that one day we'll see a native PB version of this browser. As it is, it's a tantalizing, but flawed glimpse of a great browser.
    12-05-12 10:55 PM
    wow is right . . I wonder if its a playbook thing because I've run dolphin hd on my motorola xoom for a long time and it has been the best of all I've tried. Seriously. (not trolling, I'm on crackberry because my phone is a 9650, the title caught my attention).
    I agree with you. Dolphin Browser on 'Galaxy tab 2' is the best of anything i've used so far (It really is). But it is a garbage when used in Android Player on PB. Because Android Player is pathetic and not yet polished. As of now, native browser is the best browser on Playbook.
    revtech likes this.
    12-05-12 11:39 PM
    I sideloaded Dolphin HD (8.6.1 from good ereader) and it's fast and you can have it to desktop mode and it works preettee great. Native browser only beats it out when flash is needed.
    12-06-12 12:10 AM
29 12