No, it doesn't look good for Thorsten Heins He really should stop slagging competitors and markets when his own company is floundering.

Anyway, my take on the mobile computing dream has nothing to do with QNX. You don't need some fancy QNX distributed processing nonsense or a super-smartphone which acts as the main computer in your life... if you lose the damn thing, you're screwed.

I keep thinking back to a scene in Minority Report where a guy "throws" an image from a tablet onto a display table. We can't do that now because smartphones, tablets, laptops and PCs are all designed as standalone devices with not much interoperability. We need a way of sharing data, applications and program states easily across platforms online and offline. For example, I can start a browser session on my phone, tap my phone to my tablet and have the same session appear there. Cloud storage would allow me to access my data across all platforms.

If I need to do some heavy number-crunching, for example doing CAD, I can start the session on a workstation with 64 cores and 1 TB of RAM (5 years from now ). I can then go out and continue the session on a tablet while the actual heavy lifting is done by the workstation. NVIDIA are selling 3D cloud virtual servers where multiple users have access to the workstation graphics hardware no matter where they are or what device they use, as long as they have a fast network connection.

The future will be a mix of smart terminals sharing data and program states over the Internet and using short-range protocols, and remote desktops for enterprise and processing intensive tasks. The low cost and increasing performance of mobile SoCs means smartphones, tablets, goggles, smart watches etc. should have a decent amount of processing power to do a lot of offline tasks. There will always be room for different device form factors because screen size will continue to be a limitation - you don't want to read on a watch or use a smartphone to edit a movie.
    With Bridge and ScreenShare you're almost there. It is coming, sharing from a single device, and it's not that far off.
    05-02-13 10:06 AM
    May 15th. Os10 is allready working on playbook but i think there are some issues

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, a couple of posters on the PB forum have done it and a web link by a dev shows how to do it, but with a few disable features. Looks cool running on the PB.
    05-02-13 10:10 AM
    Tech moves so quickly it's hard to even guess what we may have in 5 years.

Then again, who would have taught 10 years ago that Windows XP would still be one of the main operating system in use. No one really knows where we will be in five or ten years, but right now tablets ARE selling, business ARE buying them for use in all types of industries, and consumers love them. BlackBerry's problems has ALWAYS been a lack of understanding of the consumer market, a lack of and ecosystem to provide the tools (apps) that business could use and being able to price devices competitively (still a problem).

If BBRY can't make it into that tablet market... not sure they will have a change to make it into their dreamed of all in one mobile computing future.
    FF22 likes this.
    05-02-13 10:22 AM
    BB for rich. BB for corporate. So is Thor. It's like the device is meant for Olympus or none.
    05-02-13 10:36 AM
    And so in this "smart-phone rules all" of the future, we will all have Screens and keyboards in every room, basement, garage and backyard of our homes? Maybe. And while on vacation this larger free screen will be where? While I lounge in the shadow of the Eiffel Tower (hopefully, again someday) where will this larger screen be found and which of the thousands or even hundreds of other users find theirs?
    holy crap, 19,000+ posts! that sir, is amazing
    05-02-13 10:54 AM
    I'm not sure what the point is of carrying around a screen, or looking for a place where you can hook up your phone?
    05-02-13 10:54 AM
    I'm not going to look too much into this. Isn't there better things to do then dig up/search for reasons to justify pessimism.

BB10 will come to the Playbook.
    05-02-13 11:20 AM
    Your phone will become a mobile PCU and you plug it into.screens, now one problem, Microsoft still have not designed or near the battery technology for their first Microsoft Windows QNX product, we are all in beta, every step of the way
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-02-13 11:33 AM
    I think the contrary as what Heins thinks.

Since I have my tablet I just need an old feature phone, which gives me 3 weeks of battery life.

Between the convenient screen of a tablet and the battery life of a feature phone, smartphones are not for me.
    sad_old_man and dmlis like this.
    05-02-13 12:24 PM
    holy crap, 19,000+ posts! that sir, is amazing
    And all in the last 6 months! Just kidding. I forget when I joined but seriously, I was looking for a CRACK to unlock the gps on my Verizon-locked 8830. CRACKberry seemed like the right place.
    05-02-13 05:44 PM
    Well done Heinz

BBC News - Tablet sales soar as Blackberry boss predicts market's death

What a way to miss the boat...
    sad_old_man and FF22 like this.
    05-03-13 09:35 AM
    I agree that tablets in 4-5 years won't be as popular as they have been in the past 3-4 years and that's because phones will be able to just all a tablet can do and more.

Nobody wants to carry 2-3 devices with them, so get a phone device that can do it all like a laptop and tablet and phone combined and your rocking.
    05-03-13 10:21 AM
    I agree that tablets in 4-5 years won't be as popular as they have been in the past 3-4 years and that's because phones will be able to just all a tablet can do and more.

Nobody wants to carry 2-3 devices with them, so get a phone device that can do it all like a laptop and tablet and phone combined and your rocking.
    While I agree that nobody wants to carry too many devices, the circumstances will dictate what I and others carry. Out and about, my phone goes almost everywhere, walking, hiking, biking going to the gym. But if weight or size is not an issue, then my pb goes along including on some bike rides (for fun pictures or videos) and when I went to Europe, I wanted a large enough screen to view videos and read the browser and forums and email. Sorry, but while I might have survived with only my phone in the past, screen real estate is important. Again, I could have survived with a smaller screen on a phone - NOT if I now have a choice. Same with getting real work done - writing reports, reading reports and emails.

I guess I might admire folks who can do it all on their phone but that's not for me.
    bambinoitaliano likes this.
    05-03-13 11:53 AM
    The man is a clown. Almost all the media outlets are covering his nonsense along with their relatively poor sales.

Instead of trying to be a futurist he should pull his finger out and start making things that sell now. Can you imagine Lenovo et al., making such a ridiculous statement? No. Rather they are meeting the demands of consumers today.

What a clown! When you have nothing to say, say nothing.

And I still maintain there will be no update for the Playbook because he is not committed.
    05-03-13 11:59 AM

You may have heard the expression "size isn't important"?

You'll understand that that expression has never been said to me personally but I've always believed it's one of those expressions that states the complete opposite of truth in order to console those it's said to.

For that reason, I reckon tablet market share will only increase, and that Thor is plain wrong. As evidence of that, Q1 tablet sales grew by 142% compared to last year.

I would always prefer to browse the web on a large screen rather than on a phone screen less than half the size. It's much easier to use when the screen is much bigger in proportion to the finger used to navigate and, for those of us with less than perfect eyesight, the extra real-estate makes browsing a much more relaxing experience.

So, size is important.

Sorry.
    05-03-13 02:50 PM
    For those that are still holding their breath for the Playbook 2 or Playbook 10" or whatever, what shade of blue do they need to be before realizing that the Playbook was a one off and we should just be pleased to be proud owners of a collectors item.
    Nnnnnnooooooooo!
    Lalalalalala (ears plugged). LOL.
    I plan on living in denial. I love my playbook and can't wait for the new one! It will come. It will be released. There is a Santa...

From Zed to U via CB10
    FF22 and JeepBB like this.
    05-03-13 03:33 PM
    The man is a clown. Almost all the media outlets are covering his nonsense along with their relatively poor sales.

Instead of trying to be a futurist he should pull his finger out and start making things that sell now. Can you imagine Lenovo et al., making such a ridiculous statement? No. Rather they are meeting the demands of consumers today.

What a clown! When you have nothing to say, say nothing.

And I still maintain there will be no update for the Playbook because he is not committed.
    Wow, do I agree!!!!!

Sheesh, if nothing else he managed to stir up the pb's early and continued failure and his disdain for tablets did nothing to blunt that.

So, is this like their phones, they will sit back and wait 5 years to produce what consumers/customers want? Hey, let's leave a void and see who fills it better than we can. Sheesh, what drivel.
    Tim1131 and JeepBB like this.
    05-03-13 03:46 PM
    If this doesn't happen, I'll be waiting with a good old fashioned middle finger salute for you Mr. Heinz and I'll gladly take my business elsewhere. Everybody, even you Thor need to know they're special now and then. Do NOT fawk this up...

Don't pull an HP!
    Tim1131 likes this.
    05-03-13 03:56 PM
    When your company is doing badly, blame somebody else!

this doesn"t look good for the playbook!-playbook_dead.png
    JeepBB and sad_old_man like this.
    05-03-13 06:28 PM
    I believe tablets and VOIP will cut into the cell phone market. Ask the phone companies how much profits they have lost from customers canceling their landlines.
    05-03-13 10:29 PM
    There may be some slight hope for us Playbooksters...

I posted the below on the news forum in response to ChrisU's blog post on Thor's futuristic ramblings. It's obvious from the wording used by the BB suits in their "clarification" that they are backing away from the obvious conclusions that come out of Thor's statement.

The BB Execs must die a thousand deaths every time they put Thor up in front of the cameras... this isn't the first time they've had to issue a clarification after everyone "misinterpreted" what he'd said.

LOL

On ChrisU's front page blog post on this, there's an update statement from BB to "clarify" matters.

The comments that Thorsten made yesterday are in line with previous comments he has made about the future of mobile computing overall, and the possibilities that come with a platform like BlackBerry 10. We continue to evaluate our tablet strategy, but we are not making any shifts in that strategy in the short term. When we do have information about our PlayBook strategy, we will share it.

I read that clarification statement as: "Yeah, we don't know what Thor was on either when he said that. Try to pretend he never said it... oh, and by the way, we still haven't ruled out a Playbook replacement... honest!"

LOL
    FF22 likes this.
    05-04-13 04:23 AM
    Thorsten Heins on tablets:
    Will be dead

Bill Gates on tablets:
    Microsoft's Gates: iPad Users Really Just Want a Surface - John Paczkowski - Mobile - AllThingsD
    05-07-13 09:23 AM
72 123