Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By peter9477
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Does Standby means nothing is active?

If you've got your web browser open to check for emails on hotmail or whatever ...and you put the PB into Standby ... does it continue to check ... and do other apps continue to work ... or does Standby sort of put everything into a sleep or hybernation until you "wake it."
    Thanks
    CrackBerry Abuser

Not trying to be smart here .... just going to suggest the obvious ..... put your pb into standby mode and then on another device send yourself an email.

My bet is that when in Stand By it doesn't continue to work, but will update as soon as you bezel swipe to awaken out of standby.
    Here's looking at you (Emu)
    Thanked by:
    kingzogofalbania (11-01-2011) 
    CrackBerry Addict

It doesn't continue to work, it resumes when woken up. However, certain system services continue to run (wifi, for example). Not sure if app developers can play with that sort of functionality in the new NDK.

QNX is actually a REALLY amazing operating system. We're going to see big things guys.
    Thanked by:
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kingzogofalbania View Post
    If you've got your web browser open to check for emails on hotmail or whatever ...and you put the PB into Standby ... does it continue to check ... and do other apps continue to work ... or does Standby sort of put everything into a sleep or hybernation until you "wake it."
    Thanks
    The best answer is "it depends", or perhaps "it's complicated".

By default, AIR and WebWorks apps will basically stop receiving any events while the tablet is in standby. They would act much as they would when not active (in either Paused or Default modes, as opposed to Showcase mode).

I'm not sure about native apps, but my guess is they are unaffected by this unless they explicitly listen for and respond to a "standby" event by putting themselves into an "inactive" state (if that's appropriate). If that's true, it would be a "best practice" for most native apps to do this to avoid wasting battery in standby. (The new games from EA don't follow this guidance, and actually suck an unacceptable amount of power when inactive, including in standby. Folks should ask them to fix that.)

The browser you run is an AIR app wrapped around the native "webview" component, so what happens in that component is probably pretty flexible. In recent versions of the OS, streaming audio will continue to run, though I believe video halts. Generally any network activity other than audio is probably halted, though this may be under the control of the browser in some way I'm not aware of.

In a more general sense, the answer is basically that there's no single answer that applies to everything. It's not like the OS physically freezes everything... developers can definitely take advantage of various options to keep running.

My own apps do this in several ways. White Noise continues generating sound whether the tablet is awake or not, so it's not directly affected by Standby other than to halt any UI activity that would be a waste. Battery Guru is a bit unusual in that it is almost always acting as though the tablet were in Standby, to ensure it has a negligible effect on battery consumption. When the tablet is really in Standby, it does nothing except wake up every two minutes for a few milliseconds to record the new battery/power readings to its database.

Other apps can also request that the OS keep certain services active in Standby, so that they can continue to work. This currently includes GPS, networking, and the accelerometer, and some others are undocumented or (I'm guessing) in the works. If no app has requested a given resource, the OS will "park" it while in Standby, so that it consumes no or few resources. For example, if nothing is actively using WiFi, then after a while in Standby the WiFi is effectively shut off or put in a very reduced (probably receive-only) mode that uses little power.
    Last edited by peter9477; 11-01-2011 at 09:14 PM. Reason: add note re EA games
    Thanked by 2:
    Bulldawg (11-02-2011),  kingzogofalbania (11-01-2011) 
    JeepBB, Heavens1 and MrBugMan like this.

Actually, I believe notifications come through even in standby. The alarm clock would also, well, Alarm at the proper time.
    Thanked by:
    Banned

PIN
    Wooden shoe like to know

I have heard notifications come through in standby - woke me up from a nap. Also I think bluetooth connect notification..

Don't quote me on this.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,278 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me if you want/need it.

Quote Originally Posted by blackjack93117 View Post
    I have heard notifications come through in standby - woke me up from a nap. Also I think bluetooth connect notification..

Don't quote me on this.
    Wait what was that?

oh. too late. .

Lol. I've had mine go off in class for low battery.
    Love, Death
    Proud member of OpenSourceBB.com
    If I helped you or made you smile, Click the Thanks or Like button! Or both!
    Need a DropBox? 2GB is free! http://db.tt/vTAa8cw
    Click here to give me an Internet!
    CrackBerry Master

Yes - bridge notifications go off in standby....which is why I put the sound on mute overnight while it's charging!
    9000 > 9800 > BB Z10 > 32GB PlayBook and now Passport glued to my person!
    Thanked by:
    Banned

PIN
    Wooden shoe like to know

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcommand View Post
    Wait what was that?

oh. too late. .

Lol. I've had mine go off in class for low battery.
    That too!

Which is an awesome feature - it has saved me picking up the playbook with a dead battery when I need to use it so many times because of the warning to plug it in .

My phone doesn't do that.

How did you turn it off?
    You can pick up a usb battery from radio shack for $20 that might give you just enough extra juice to get you past the embarassment...
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 11-01-2011 at 11:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jvictor77 View Post
    Yes - bridge notifications go off in standby....which is why I put the sound on mute overnight while it's charging!
    My method is that my bb turns off between 11pm and 6am. Unfortunately, the Bridge app on the phone broke something two versions ago. When the phone turns on, the bt connection does not automatically re-establish itself. I have to go to manage connections on the bb and turn off bt and then turn it back on. I did verify that it was the bridge app as I was able to download ota from rroyy.com an older version and in the morning that version automatically re-established the bt connection.

Global Posts
    10,375 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey, what did you expect ?

Quote Originally Posted by F2 View Post
    My method is that my bb turns off between 11pm and 6am. Unfortunately, the Bridge app on the phone broke something two versions ago. When the phone turns on, the bt connection does not automatically re-establish itself. I have to go to manage connections on the bb and turn off bt and then turn it back on. I did verify that it was the bridge app as I was able to download ota from rroyy.com an older version and in the morning that version automatically re-established the bt connection.
    Many bridge problems (browser freeze, unpairing on wake up, ...) I had disappeared just by setting it again, in that ordered sequence :
    1. Delete both phone and BB bridge entries
    2. Delete both phone and BB BT entries
    3. [optional] restart both BB (button push) and Phone (battery pull)
    4. Go threw the bridging process (with TAG scan) without prior BT pairing.

Of course, this is a one shot method, won't do this every morning
    Join my BBM Channel : C00035FA6
    "I speak English like a Spanish Cow"
    I'm a StockBerrian, proudly holding 50 150 250 400 550 1000 BlackBerry shares