I wonder if we can make/receive calls like galaxy tab ?
    If so what about support ?
    Gsm 1800.1900. Cdma etc. ?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-20-11 09:17 AM
    I wonder if we can make/receive calls like galaxy tab ?
    If so what about support ?
    Gsm 1800.1900. Cdma etc. ?

Sounds like the initial models will be WiFi only. I'm sure there will be apps that will allow voice chats and calls over an internet connection.
    03-20-11 09:27 AM
    Actually I'd like to use my BES/BiS activated personel sim card number..
    I will put my sim card in PlayBook and use it my casual life..

03-20-11 09:31 AM

My guess is that a GSM network model will be out sometime after the initial models are launched. RIM has mentioned a Wimax model that will launch after the wifi Playbooks. Can't imagine that RIM won't offer GSM models.
    03-20-11 09:35 AM
    Yes, they've already mentioned an HSPA+ model. However- there's no word on phone usage yet. Of course over Skype and the like, but as for traditional cell use, we don't know yet.

03-20-11 10:08 AM
    Let's hope so..
    i don't want to change my cell tradition.
    03-21-11 06:33 AM
    Someone would need to make a SIP client for it. RIM wants you to have a Blackberry and a Playbook, and you may be able to make calls through the Playbook via the "tethered" Blackberry phone.
    03-21-11 07:24 AM
    From what I am reading, it sounds like the ***** accountants have seized us in a death grip so once again only the rich may use technology that (I believe anyhow) we should all have access to. I am totally disabled and truly need the equipment to have a life other than being bedridden watching cr*p on TV. My keeping my mind busy with my Blackberry using it to read everything I can access on the web and exchanging ideas with other users is pretty much all I have for a life. To me 'not learning would lead to complete madness. My so-called caregiver stole my tower and my laptop and there is no way I will ever be able to afford to replace them. Now even if I had one having to tether it to already overpriced networks (oh yeah, I'm a VietNam vet and was a taxpayer for more than 30yrs) kinda irks me since my tax money payed for the net we now get charged to access. Sigh....
    07-23-11 09:31 AM

Yes. Yes it does.

And on weekends it also makes French Toast. Not sure if it uses Maple Syrup though....

It should being a Canadian company and all....
    07-23-11 01:08 PM
    Not sure - but there is this cool device called a smartphone that does just that!!
    I'm not sure I want to walk around with my playbook held to my ear like a slice of toast...

I know I know there are headsets .. but they also plug into the phones just as easily...
    07-23-11 01:14 PM
    From what I am reading, it sounds like the ***** accountants have seized us in a death grip so once again only the rich may use technology that (I believe anyhow) we should all have access to. I am totally disabled and truly need the equipment to have a life other than being bedridden watching cr*p on TV. My keeping my mind busy with my Blackberry using it to read everything I can access on the web and exchanging ideas with other users is pretty much all I have for a life. To me 'not learning would lead to complete madness. My so-called caregiver stole my tower and my laptop and there is no way I will ever be able to afford to replace them. Now even if I had one having to tether it to already overpriced networks (oh yeah, I'm a VietNam vet and was a taxpayer for more than 30yrs) kinda irks me since my tax money payed for the net we now get charged to access. Sigh....
    I see that you are not happy about something in this thread, but I can't figure out exactly what your complaint is, what you are trying to do, or what you want. Sorry. Are you upset that the Playbook doesn't make calls (topic of thread), or that it costs too much? Something else entirely?
    07-23-11 02:11 PM
    I see that you are not happy about something in this thread, but I can't figure out exactly what your complaint is, what you are trying to do, or what you want. Sorry. Are you upset that the Playbook doesn't make calls (topic of thread), or that it costs too much? Something else entirely?
    I think the purpose is he's trying to say that galaxy tab or whatever does it, but Playbook doesn't - neener neener kind of thing....
    07-23-11 02:12 PM
    I think the purpose is he's trying to say that galaxy tab or whatever does it, but Playbook doesn't - neener neener kind of thing....
    I considered that might be it, but I really don't think so, because he could simply have purchased a Galaxy Tab instead if that capability was so important, right? I'm just not sure what he was trying to say. Money seems to be a factor, and making calls. But I'm pretty sure he has a device already for making calls. I'm curious, and hoping he returns to explain.
    07-23-11 02:20 PM
    I considered that might be it, but I really don't think so, because he could simply have purchased a Galaxy Tab instead if that capability was so important, right?
    Maybe he did and wants to brag about it... not the first time the behavior of rubbing other device's features in our face has occurred in here ... (dare I say native PIM) ....I'm curious also...

07-23-11 08:35 PM
    actually it can make a call.through videochat.
    mpcook likes this.
    07-23-11 08:38 PM
    i would like to answer calls coming in on the PlayBook instead of my phone. Use it as a speaker phone.
    07-23-11 08:51 PM
    Ihave been using the bb bridge but no luck
    08-31-13 06:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD