Yes............
    08-28-14 08:46 PM
    How do you turn it on? My bing maps doesnt find my location

Posted via CB10
    08-28-14 09:21 PM
    You need data or wifi

Z10STL100-3/10.3.0.1052 on Bell with Unlimited Data
    08-28-14 09:26 PM
    Try downloading GPS Test from app world. Then, go outside and run the app. Then, forget about Bing. You can sideload Google Maps or install Osmand from app world, among others, both of which don't need data or wifi to run.
    08-28-14 10:34 PM
    you dont need internet, first sat fix is max 20 min, or use the app gps test or
    gps status than the sat fix is faster
    08-29-14 03:35 AM
    Thanks . Used 'gps test' the one with the satellite receiver icon. As there seems to be 2 apps with same name...

Worked pretty quick first scan 51m (?) down to 1.7 on about 6th scan back at the house (had gone down the street to the open park to ensure 'open sky').

Now to try maybe osmand?

** Loaded Osmand found that they require too many permissions, which could NOT be turned off later since it does not appear under the BBPB settings/app' security field even after a PB restart ! Apps like slacker seemingly can be turned off ! So uninstalled osmand (and gps test) as I'm not one who wants unknowns looking thru my unit (private) areas.... shucks you theoretically even give them permission to use the PB cam and/or microphone to record sounds/vid' whenever they choose to ...
    Last edited by Cracklen; 08-30-14 at 06:53 PM.
    08-29-14 06:53 PM
    you dont need internet, first sat fix is max 20 min, or use the app http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/29/qypy3upe.jpggps test or
    gps status than the sat fix is faster
    From what App have you taken the pic? Do you have a link in app world?
    08-30-14 09:43 AM
    sideload android apk : gps test
    08-30-14 03:40 PM

** Loaded Osmand found that they require too many permissions, which could NOT be turned off later since it does not appear under the BBPB settings/app' security field even after a PB restart ! Apps like slacker seemingly can be turned off ! So uninstalled osmand (and gps test) as I'm not one who wants unknowns looking thru my unit (private) areas.... shucks you theoretically even give them permission to use the PB cam and/or microphone to record sounds/vid' whenever they choose to ...
    Does playbook have gps?-img_00000004.png

I think you're being a bit too paranoid. The app doesn't appear in the security settings/app permission list because it's an android app, and no android apps appear there. The above shows the permissions that the app requires, and they are all legit. Your location is needed because of Osmand's navigation function- if it doesn't know where you are, it can't guide you to your destination. Network access is required so the app can access and/or download online maps. Access to storage is necessary so Osmand can open downloaded maps for use when you're offline. Hardware controls (audio/video) access is needed because Osmand has a plug in that can be activated that allows you to take audio or video notes when navigating. Finally, access to system tools is needed so the app can keep devices from going to sleep when navigating. This last function doesn't work on the Playbook, though many wish it did. .
    dazzleaj likes this.
    08-30-14 09:08 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000004.png 
Views:	293 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	294726

I think you're being a bit too paranoid. The app doesn't appear in the security settings/app permission list because it's an android app, and no android apps appear there. The above shows the permissions that the app requires, and they are all legit. Your location is needed because of Osmand's navigation function- if it doesn't know where you are, it can't guide you to your destination. Network access is required so the app can access and/or download online maps. Access to storage is necessary so Osmand can open downloaded maps for use when you're offline. Hardware controls (audio/video) access is needed because Osmand has a plug in that can be activated that allows you to take audio or video notes when navigating. Finally, access to system tools is needed so the app can keep devices from going to sleep when navigating. This last function doesn't work on the Playbook, though many wish it did. .
    Thanks for that explanation! It's perhaps the best explanation of any apps technical side that I have read.
    08-31-14 11:11 AM
    Ok. Thanks for the response. it's funny that both bing maps and magellan compass used to find my location and about a month ago stopped doing so. I have wi fi by the way. I thot I changed the settings somehow but I'll play with this. Thanks

Posted via CB10
    08-31-14 12:47 PM