I have a Google apps email account and a gmail account and ever so often I notice that my PB stops displaying any message content at all. I can select the email from the list at the side but in the content pane there's...nothing.

Anyone else have that happen to them? Quitting messages and restarting seems to help, but it's seriously annoying.
    06-28-12 10:53 AM
    Hi
    I'm having this issue too! just today I started my PB and had the same issue just like you and with Gmail account. I don't know if the size of the mails (long ones with chains) could be the cause.
    Alex
    06-28-12 11:24 AM
    Live account. Haven't had that yet.
    06-28-12 11:27 AM
    Mine is worse. It often say cannot connect to server and only way to get it back is to restart playbook.
    06-28-12 11:45 AM
    never had that, my googlemail-account and my gmx.de-account (imap) (German provider...) working fine, I usually get emails on it even before I get them on my Bold.
    06-28-12 11:46 AM
    Happens to me constantly 2.1 beta did not fix it as I hoped it would (hotmail account).
    06-28-12 01:20 PM
    Mine is worse. It often say cannot connect to server and only way to get it back is to restart playbook.
    Try going into settings (gear icon, home page, upper right) Accounts, Save button probably shows it can be depressed, click save, this should eliminate the need of a restart, this happens to me occasionally.
    06-28-12 01:27 PM
    Try going into settings (gear icon, home page, upper right) Accounts, Save button probably shows it can be depressed, click save, this should eliminate the need of a restart, this happens to me occasionally.
    It's ridiculous we need to do this in the first place, do you know if this is fixed in the latest beta version?
    06-28-12 02:54 PM
    It's ridiculous we need to do this in the first place, do you know if this is fixed in the latest beta version?
    Can't say 100% but it hasn't happened since I went to beta.
    06-28-12 02:59 PM
    I have a similar issue. I always read and then delete my gmail items from my playbook. Sometimes I get a new e-mail notification, I open up the app and select the new e-mail from the list, but in the right pane it shows the content of the last e-mail I deleted and not the new one! There seems to be no fix apart from closing the mail app and waiting for more mail to arrive.
    06-28-12 03:03 PM
    I have a similar issue. I always read and then delete my gmail items from my playbook. Sometimes I get a new e-mail notification, I open up the app and select the new e-mail from the list, but in the right pane it shows the content of the last e-mail I deleted and not the new one! There seems to be no fix apart from closing the mail app and waiting for more mail to arrive.
    In the left pane put your finger on the list of emails and pull down, it will say release to refresh or something like that, sometimes this helps, it might take more than one try.
    rich_a likes this.
    06-28-12 03:17 PM
    nah - it's worse than that - the email app says it's not connected to wifi - which is rubbish cos you can use internet etc.

already have a thread open on this

happened with me on 2.0.1 and 2.1 beta

stop/start of playbook is only way I've seen to fix.
    06-28-12 03:50 PM
    nah - it's worse than that - the email app says it's not connected to wifi - which is rubbish cos you can use internet etc.
    Exactly thats my point, I sometimes get lazy and don't close apps, if I leave the house and go out of wifi range with the email app running when I reconnect to wifi my email is frozen with a message that it can't connect to wifi, even though I'm connected, by resaving the settings I can avoid a restart.
    06-28-12 04:10 PM
    This is a common problem with the native email. Doesn't matter what your type of account. I have gmail, pop mail, live/hotmail. When one goes down, they all go down, meaning the Messages app stops working. Go to Accounts (under the gear icon) and you'll find it doesn't work either. Nor does Calendar, at this point. Only recourse is the lengthy PB reboot. Rim obviously aware but has no solution. Guess they've laid off too many people to fix it now. Curiously, sometimes it works for days at a time. Usually, just a few hours (at best). Makes Messages email app/calendar next to worthless.
    Haseleyman likes this.
    06-29-12 03:14 PM
    Exactly thats my point, I sometimes get lazy and don't close apps, if I leave the house and go out of wifi range with the email app running when I reconnect to wifi my email is frozen with a message that it can't connect to wifi, even though I'm connected, by resaving the settings I can avoid a restart.
    Dont think it's lazy to close apps - it's not the law.

Which settings do you go to?

Top swipe down in email or other? I ask as I dont see a save option.

ta
    07-04-12 12:17 PM
    Dont think it's lazy to close apps - it's not the law.

Which settings do you go to?

Top swipe down in email or other? I ask as I dont see a save option.
    It's from the main PB setting, from the home screen ( where airplane mode can be set ) you will need to select the account in question, click advanced settings, click save if highlighted, if it's not active to save this is probably not your problem.
    07-04-12 12:46 PM
    Doesn't work because when the emails aren't loading, neither are the Accounts, or Calendar.
    07-04-12 03:14 PM
    It has happened to me about a half dozen times now since the native mail client was released that it will just not bring in any new email. I'm usually alerted to this by someone that has sent me something that I did not reply to. A reboot of the pb fixes it every time, all the new mail just rolls in. Kind of annoying but I've learned to live with it.
    07-04-12 05:33 PM
    Doesn't work because when the emails aren't loading, neither are the Accounts, or Calendar.
    It looks like the problem I have is different than the one others are having, I can always see my account, but when I go into it I get a message saying the PB is not connected when I'm defiantly connected, it just seems to get stuck there if I go out of wifi range with the email app running, so by resaving the account setting I can avoid a restart.
    07-05-12 05:12 AM
    No problems here with native or bridge email
    07-05-12 08:30 AM
    I get an "Unable to connect to server" error that it cannot connect to some services. It usually is either Yahoo! Mail or LinkedIn inbox.

I find it happens on Bridge, as if there is a max timeout time. If I choose in the Native Email Client the "@" symbol for accounts, select the one with the "!" mark (the one with an issue), and try to do a refresh by pulling down the email list, it works.

It most likely has something todo with connection speed. Once I tether my playbook or use wifi, I don't usually have this problem.
    07-05-12 09:58 AM
    When this happens, one Gmail account might be reachable and another not, which is my situation right now. It is very annoying to see an error message, "Your PlayBook is not connected to a network. Connect to a network and try again." when it obviously is connected. I've tried hitting 'Save' in Accounts, but that just leads to a 'Verifying and saving your settings' loop, without resolving the problem.

It is also very annoying that nobody from RIM responds to these posts. We live in the Land of the Walking Dead.

Now I'll have a coffee and breakfast and read the print edition of the morning newspaper while my PB reboots so I can read my latest urgent emails. Maybe there'll be one from RIM informing me of an OS update that solves the Messages problem (AND includes bookmark management!). Fat chance.
    Mr_Bunny likes this.
    07-05-12 10:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD