I am positive I dont need one but I sure am very very happy that I have one.
    04-21-11 06:17 AM
    i work in a gas station n obviously dont need a tablet but since its a blackberry playbook i get it anyway.. just cant help it lol
    04-21-11 06:17 AM
    In that respect, why does someone need a luxury car? Or a vacation? Or big screen TVs?

The answer is simple....we don't "need" any of that stuff (Playbook included). Sure there are some that can find legitimate business uses for a tablet, but for the most part it is a luxury item.

Personally I like using the tablet in bed or on the road (on my iPad now). It sure beats lugging around my laptop.
    Exactly this.

The only things that we do absolutely need, is food, water and shelter. Everything else, is luxury, stuff we don't actually need. But we buy it anyways because it could make our lives easier, or simply just because we want something new, different, to entertain us while we wait for our next meal, or for sleep to come.
    04-21-11 06:25 AM
    I replace my 10 years old Gateway laptop with one. It was pretty much down to its last legs. Didn't work without beening plug in, one bearly working usb port. Just problem after problem. Hopefully I won't have to replace my PB for the next 10 plus years.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-21-11 06:25 AM
    Every time I see a thread like this I take it as a personal insult. Please read my post on the link below. I explain why I need a tablet such as the PB. Sure I can explain until the sun comes up and you will still not understand....but hey that's your problem not mine.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f222/cr...83/index5.html
    A personal insult? I think you might want to lighten up bro.
    04-21-11 06:43 AM
    Today, I do not need one, nor can I justify the purchase. In the house we have a desktop and a lap top. If the lap top should ever die, I would replace it with a tablet. We use it for nothing more than web browsing anyway.
    04-21-11 06:50 AM
    That's exactly the reason I bought a 16GB Playbook...I have a MBP and do a lot on it. If space becomes an issue on the Playbook I'll just have to organize a littler better....now....bring on the apps!
    04-21-11 07:48 AM
    The better question is, how would you utilize a tablet, if you can come up with enough reasons to justify the price then buy it, need is the wrong word. I know for many uses this will eliminate my need to carry a laptop and replace many organizational functions of my planner.

Why do you need a Blackberry?
    04-21-11 07:57 AM
    I agree...although my laptop is portable, it's still a PITA to lug around sometimes. The Playbook allows me to download presentations (and other multiple files), it allows me to have a full web experience (when I need it), and I can access cloud based services - upload - ect.

With all the functionality the Playbook has that I mentioned, I would've had to download 5+ apps on the iPad.
    04-21-11 08:03 AM
    I've been working on my "thesis" for this...

I've had my Smartphone Hierarchy of Needs for a while now.

Now I'm working on "CrackBerry Kevin's Matrix of Mobile Computing".

I think it's true that while a tablet isn't totally necessarily a necessity from the point of view that you can accomplish the same things on a phone and computer, the big thing is ease of use, convenience and enjoyability.

Tablet Ease of Use - People like my parents (in their sixties) don't want to deal with a phone more than they have to (bad eyes, less dexterity in their fingers) and computers are a bit too frustrating for them to use. Don't get me wrong, they know how to use them, but it's just too much and too many things all over the place. Tablets nice big touchscreens and simple OS's to figure out. And this ease of use carries over for all people...

Convenience - Tablets are more convenient to use in a lot of places than even a small Macbook air. More enjoyable in bed, on a plane, lighter to yank out a purse or coat pocket, etc.

Enjoyability - A lot of activities, like media consumption, casual web browsing, gaming/apps experience on tablets is simply more enjoyable than on either a phone or laptop.

So I see it as this:

Phones - always on you, always connected. communications tool first and foremost, plus critical applications (google maps if you get lost, etc. etc).

Tablets - kicking back in a chair with your feet up experience. media consumption, enjoyment, and for some on the go, even productivity (maybe not as productive as a computer, but more portability which means you use it more, so in total more productive than not having a computer with you).

Computers/Laptops - time to get work done. head down, get whatever you're done done so you can go back to casual mode. I think over the years we've spent sooo much time in front of computers that most of us want to get away from them now as fast as we can (i know i'm that way), so even if i can do the casual stuff on it, i don't want to sit at a computer a minute longer than i have to.

anyways... that's sort of how my take on it is shaping up. haven't even checked out the articles at the top of this post yet to see what they said, but will check em out later (on my PlayBook... not my computer or phone!).

K
    04-21-11 08:17 AM
    One of the main uses I have for it is storing and reading research papers in pdf format. I attempted this with the e-reader and frankly it was the most horrendous experience. I was able to download a pdf without any problems and view it perfectly on the playbook. It will be far easier than printing off thousands of pages worth and the form factor is just easier when reading them rather than carrying my laptop all over the place. However this also could just be one big excuse to buy it and might not actually need it at all.
    I bought an iPad partly because my eReader sucked as a PDF eReader and my netbook sucked as an eReader in general (actually it just sucked in general). Tablets also make better eReaders for Newspapers and Magazines than the eInk devices.

As a mobile device they offer several advantages over a small laptop or netbook. Speed of startup and use, compact form factor (very useful if you frequently travel by train or plane) and smartphone priced convenient data plans. With a laptop, unless you bypass tethering restrictions, data is probably going to cost $40 a month and up, for an iPad you can pay as little as $15 a month on a month to month basis.
    04-21-11 08:27 AM
    Tablets - kicking back in a chair with your feet up experience. media consumption, enjoyment, and for some on the go, even productivity (maybe not as productive as a computer, but more portability which means you use it more, so in total more productive than not having a computer with you).
    Yep, but I don't think it ends there... this will become an all in one device, it will totally replace my laptop in some cases.. such as..
    Carrying Regulatory guides and work documents for quick reference while at meetings or traveling.
    It will replace most of my my paper planner/organizer.
    Quick edits of PP, word and Excel docs can be done on the PB rather than powering up the computer.
    E-book reader.
    Photographs will be downloaded from camera, or plugged in via HDMI for instant viewing/editing without lugging out the laptop.
    This will become my GPS.
    Hopefully remote access will be supported, half the time I go in remote it is just to grab a quick item..no need for the big screen.

I see this becoming relied upon more and more as it is used.. I think the lounging on the couch mentality is an iPad byproduct, because people don't want to carry the 10" tablet around, and it's usefulness ans a business tool is not as great.
    04-21-11 08:34 AM
    So I see it as this:

Phones - always on you, always connected. communications tool first and foremost, plus critical applications (google maps if you get lost, etc. etc).

Computers/Laptops - time to get work done. head down, get whatever you're done done so you can go back to casual mode. I think over the years we've spent sooo much time in front of computers that most of us want to get away from them now as fast as we can (i know i'm that way), so even if i can do the casual stuff on it, i don't want to sit at a computer a minute longer than i have to.

K
    Looks spot-on to me.

One realization I have come to in the two days I've had my PB is that it is not going to replace any aspect of my phone's communications. I still find it easier to compose emails and messages on my trusty BB phone keyboard (assuming there's going to be an SMS bridge app at some point), although there's no comparison between reading them on the phone vs. PB. Neither is any tablet ever going to replace my desktop computer. But since I don't have a laptop, the PB is going to fill that gap between head-down at the computer and on-the-go with the phone.
    04-21-11 08:35 AM
    I definitely don't need one, but it sure as **** is much more comfortable to use while laying down on the couch and watching TV than a laptop is.

Despite its name, I feel that a laptop, with it's cumbersome keyboard and touchpad, is more suited to be used on top of a table than on your lap. Not to mention that the Playbook's battery life is much better than my laptop's.
    04-21-11 09:35 AM
    I think the lounging on the couch mentality is an iPad byproduct, because people don't want to carry the 10" tablet around, and it's usefulness ans a business tool is not as great.
    Really. In what ways is the current PB more useful as a business tool (ignoring any pointless size arguements).
    04-21-11 09:46 AM
    I agree on alot of your core points here.

Tablet Ease of Use - It has to be a pick up and go product, intuitive UI, more than a PC it has to perform as you think it should in your mind. Natural navigation.

Convenience - Tablets should do everything you hate about your traditional laptop/desktop. Remove the long boot time, complicated installations and configuration, access the full web at your fingertip.

Enjoyability - Apps experience, there are a few paradigm shifts we need to accept, APPs should not be viewed as a stop-gap solution to provide content, a la Netflix Silverlight doesn't work natively so we should make an app for that. APPs should be an optimized interface to present content. This is where things become..delightful. Full browser facebook with chat is great, Full facebook with chat options, optimized facebook games and profile viewing, wall posts/comments Facebook app is better. Flipboard is a great magazine type implementation of this optimized interface, improve content consumption with excellent delivery.

Tablets - where once Tablets were programmed and started as portable PCs with touch interface, they have been lumped more with mobile computing and communications and I like that. Where the traditional laptop/PC allows for more precise refinement and content creation, the tablet should be a prime time demo, communication and information fetching machine. Integration across apps and media is a must. I'm very much looking forward to this...
    Last edited by BaconMunch; 04-21-11 at 10:29 AM.
    04-21-11 10:24 AM
    This has always been my thought as i decide on a tablet purchase.

For the OP... he has a laptop, kindle, and bb. I dont have a kindle.... i do like reading pdf files, news, and other website content.

i carry a sony vaio 11 inch laptop that weights like 3 lbs. Battery lasts like 6 to 7 hours.. ultraportable.. i love it for business travel. i paid like $1000 for it like 2 years ago... when i could have paid $400 for a 15 inch 7lb laptop. Portability and ease were the two factors that made my decision....

But laying the couch with the laptop, or hanging around the house.... i dont like use to my laptop...... i also have my desktop... but that gets shared in the household. The tablet is perfect.

For work... i can defintely leave the laptop for quick business trips'' 1 to 3 nights... i think more than that.. i would take my laptop as a backup...but i may never even turn it on.

I think tablets should be in the $300 to $400 range..... personally i cant justify paying $700 for 64 GB one. while the 16 GB at $499 is priced higher that i perfer.... im willing to pay alittle extra since it �links� with my BB phone.

I love my torch...its my favorite BB phone of all time.... i thought nothing was going to replace the original bold. Bold 2 might do it..... but love the size of the Torch screen. It can do about 70% of what the PB does already..... but there are times when you just dont feel like browsing off the web.. or reading-replying emails off it.

right now im holding off buying the playbook..... maybe next week. i For me i want to see

The Bridge Accessing the Media-Files from the phone SD card( so i can feel safe going for a 16GB instead of a 32 GB)
    BBM or a Video Conference

for alot of different people.... every reason will be different. someone who doesnt have touchscreen cell phone would probably enjoy the tablet much better. some people dont have laptops...etc... list goes on and on.

we all are going die one day..and we cant take our money with us... hahaha so enjoy life..spend your money... if this makes your life alittle more enjoyable... why not...

playbook with a bold 2.... wow.. scary dont want to think about that right now....
    04-21-11 11:23 AM
    "Do we need......?" is quite relative, and such a broad stoke of a question.

maybe it should be "How bad do you want.....?"
    04-21-11 11:29 AM
    The more I use tablets the more I value a 11" macbook air.

Tablets are a big compromise and very early in there development cycle.

A MacBook air may have a keyboard but everything you want to do works, it's lightweight, silent and super fast compared to any slate!

But I'm typing this on a iPad
    Last edited by Sonic77; 04-21-11 at 11:58 AM.
    04-21-11 11:56 AM
    Its just the progression onf things overall.

Atari - we didn't need it...but that led to other games and now gaming is mainstream and still not needed but imbedded into society.

Early PC's - Didn't need them...most didn't but we bought them. Now they are necessary for productivity, information, entertainment, making money, school, work, etc.

Internet - Nah, we didn't need that either. Now you can't do anythign without it. If a router flaps in maryland, the east coast wanders out into the streets wondering what to do. lol

Laptops - That was for the mobile exec and marketing guys...then the tech guys, then home based workers who went out on calls...now every house has one...do they need a laptop? No, but it's part of the progression of things.

Tablets - They've been hacking away at making them for years. Nobody got it right till apple...and yes, you can say what they want, but they created the first real, useable one...and now they're being manufactured, sold and growing...in a few years...it will be needed...maybe sooner.

So yep, they are needed...to go to the next thing...

Maybe BrainBerry will be next..that chip in your head that shows a keyboard in front of you (that only you can see), that you type on and get the info in full view right in front of you...oh wait, an incoming call...blink twice...HELLO?? Sorry honey, im running late...my flying car just ran out of High Fructose Corn Syrup...

Hey, the others werent necessary or imaginable years ago...someone had to dream it..and now we need them.
    04-21-11 12:17 PM
    These arguments of "portability" seem way overblown. I just handled the Ipad 2. The thing is light and thin. Devices go one of two places. In my pocket or in my briefcase. Dont see the PB going in my pocket.
    04-21-11 12:52 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD