does the 3 buttons reset (the power, volume + & -) will required an OS downloading again (as if we done a Security Wipe), or just a reset and restart like a battery pull on a blackberry handheld.

The reason i am asking this is because I am currently in a no-wifi area and my Playbook seems need to hard restarted. I will post the problem here if the hard restart doesn't fix it

Thanks in advance!!
    08-16-11 06:13 AM
    I have used the hard reset many times and it never has done a wipe for me. You should be fine.
    08-16-11 06:17 AM
    I have used the hard reset many times and it never has done a wipe for me. You should be fine.
    thanks for the info Anyway, just tried the method by pressed and hold the Vol +,- then power button..it showed a "turn of option" then shut down, but after pressing more than 10 seconds, no red right or restarting happened. I have to turn on the device manually and it powered on again.

is there i missed in the method to do it ?
    08-16-11 06:24 AM
    Nope, what you did is correct. The hard reset powers off the PB. It doesn't restart it.
    keisartampubolon likes this.
    08-16-11 06:25 AM
    Nope, what you did is correct. The hard reset powers off the PB. It doesn't restart it.
    okay, so this hard reset is simply a "force shut down" task Then it doesn't resolve my original problem, since I have a Wifi issue for connecting to a network and I hoped the hard reset would fix it
    08-16-11 06:37 AM
    You may have to reset the router if you cannot get connected to it with the PlayBook.
    08-16-11 07:16 AM
    I have a Wifi issue for connecting to a network and I hoped the hard reset would fix it
    If you have control of the router you are trying to connect to, reboot the router and see if that fixes your problem. If not, check to see if you can connect to other routers. If you can not connect to any wireless router, you might have a problem with the PB itself.
    08-16-11 07:53 AM
    I love to try to help you but your information is a little confusing to me. You said you cannot connect to a wifi network yet you also noted you are not near wifi?

A few things that would be good to know:

What kind of wifi network are you trying to connect to?
    Have you ever been able to connect to that network?
    Are you receiving any error message?
    Are you able to connect to other wifi routers?
    Do you have permission to connect to the network you are having issues with?
    How close are you to the router when attempting to connect?
    Have you tried rebooting the router?
    Have you reinstalled the current OS?

From my experience on rare occasion there have been a few PlayBooks that had wifi issues related to hardware. However, the majority of wifi issues can be resolved. Maybe you can fill us all in and someone here can assist you more. Or contact RIM support you have 90 days of complimentary support. If you are outside your 90 days it nearly all cases they will extend the complimentary support at this time.
    08-16-11 09:07 AM
    I guess I will ask - did you actually accomplish the HARD reset. You have to make sure that you hold all three buttons down at the same time and hold for 10 or so seconds. You should have seen the blackberry start up with those little balls/globes of color.

You definitely need wifi to reload the OS. I don't know if the DEBRICK restore needs wifi to finish loading the OS.
    08-16-11 09:18 AM
    I love to try to help you but your information is a little confusing to me. You said you cannot connect to a wifi network yet you also noted you are not near wifi?

A few things that would be good to know:

What kind of wifi network are you trying to connect to?
    Have you ever been able to connect to that network?
    Are you receiving any error message?
    Are you able to connect to other wifi routers?
    Do you have permission to connect to the network you are having issues with?
    How close are you to the router when attempting to connect?
    Have you tried rebooting the router?
    Have you reinstalled the current OS?

From my experience on rare occasion there have been a few PlayBooks that had wifi issues related to hardware. However, the majority of wifi issues can be resolved. Maybe you can fill us all in and someone here can assist you more. Or contact RIM support you have 90 days of complimentary support. If you are outside your 90 days it nearly all cases they will extend the complimentary support at this time.
    sorry for some confusions in my previous post
    Here's the situation : basically I am in a area with a wifi connection, but I must say "no-wifi area" is because my playbook couldn't find the network (it only shows searching for available network), so to wipe my Playbook is not my first option since I'm afraid it will not connect to the network later for initial setup

To answer your question one-by-one :
    1. its a WEP network
    2. My BB9300 and my ipod able to connect, although sometimes it took several attempts to successfully join the network (maybe this is a security issue from the network's admin ?!?). Anyway, my PLaybook never found the network....already tried to connect it manually by typing the password, the Playbook only shows "attempt to connect 1 of 3
    3. no error message experienced
    4. I haven't tried this, since i am working in a remote area currently
    5. I don't think i need a special permission, since my other devices above able to join the network so far
    6. the router only 10 feet away from my desk
    7. I coudn't restart the router since its my office's network
    8. Not yet, due to this wifi issues..

hope this can help you to solve my problem
    08-16-11 08:18 PM
    You should have seen the blackberry start up with those little balls/globes of color
    little balls / globes.. afaik, when the Playbook started, it will first shows the "Blackberry Playbook" sentence in a black background
    08-16-11 08:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD