How about using the browser off line with locally saved content like you can do on a computer?
    That might be fine for reading a web page. But if the tablet is to be a functional computer, it needs to compute!

This means an abundance of business apps including hundreds geared towards the medical professionals.
    07-07-11 07:30 AM
    That might be fine for reading a web page. But if the tablet is to be a functional computer, it needs to compute!

This means an abundance of business apps including hundreds geared towards the medical professionals.
    Tablets like the Playbook, iPad, Touch Pad are NOT computers. People in the medical field have been using Tablet Computers for longer than the iPad has been around and those are now getting even smaller. The newest Tablet Computer is comparrable in size to the Playbook as well so why buy a Tablet like these new ones when the Tablet Computers are getting lower and lower in price?
    07-07-11 10:25 PM
    Most importantly, as a physician, the medical apps I use most (Epocrates, Medscape, Skyscape, etc.) are not available on the Playbook. The image above captures the entire app listing under Medical Guides, and most of these apps are not practical for usage by clinicians. This complete absence of apps is the deal breaker of the Blackberry Playbook�s viability for use in the hospital. As demonstrated in the Display portion of this review, it functions excellently as a web browser for UpToDate.com and eMedicine, but comparing the thousands of medical apps for iOS with the barren wasteland of medical apps in the Blackberry Store is saddening
    ...quite true...

...RIM should find way (in one way or another) to overcome this "shortcoming"... before Apples produce tablets having better hardware specifications than what playbook is having right now...
    07-08-11 06:29 AM
    before Apples produce tablets having better hardware specifications than what playbook is having right now...
    What does hardware spec's have to do with anything?

iOS is fairly deeply entrenched in the medical community as is OSx, as it stands today. Clearly the hardware has nothing to do with this. I will agree that the playbook has better hardware, but that only means something to fanboys and geeks that care about the size of their... processors and memory, and GPU's, and resolution, you get the point. The average Joe cares and knows nothing about what's under the hood. They only care about can it do what I need it to do...

-Cal
    CBplayer likes this.
    07-08-11 07:01 AM
    Doc, it hurts my head when I read whiner posts. Any suggestions?

Drink more Kool Aid, the pain will slowly go away.
    kirson and ahncall like this.
    07-08-11 07:06 AM

iOS is fairly deeply entrenched in the medical community as is OSx, as it stands today.

-Cal
    So is QNX and Microsoft. What does it matter. I bet there are more Tablet PC's running Microsoft in hospitals than iPads. That are actually doing real hospital work and not clinical reference.
    07-08-11 07:28 AM
    Drink more Kool Aid, the pain will slowly go away.
    Sorry,but no ipop for this cowboy.
    07-08-11 07:58 AM
    Fair and balanced review.

But the conclusion that app availability is a deal breaker is a no-brainer. Apps will not get written unless the developer can make money.

The classic catch-22 applies to any profession:
    1. Medical profession won't choose PlayBook because there are no medical apps.
    2. There are no medical apps because doctors don't use PlayBook.
    07-08-11 08:53 AM
    I'm a first year med student and stumbled upon Dr. Ahn's review of the playbook. He approached it from a healthcare viewpoint in mind, but I think this really serves as a microcosm for why the playbook is not successful despite all the potential.

�Most importantly, as a physician, the medical apps I use most (Epocrates, Medscape, Skyscape, etc.) are not available on the Playbook.�

If RIM were truly committed to their product, they would be bending over backward for the developers of great apps to build them for BlackBerry. Pay them if necessary, but then build the relationship and work with them to make the Epocrates/Kindle/�insert popular app here� experience on PlayBook every bit as good as on the iPad. They�ve already invested likely hundreds of millions into developing the Playbook, why not continue investing in high-reward areas that will actually make your product more desirable and usable?

What�s really perplexing is that RIM has a natural advantage in the healthcare space. Built-for-enterprise, productivity, security--these are all areas in which RIM excels and hospitals value. I feel they�re squandering a golden opportunity in a market that�s only in its infancy and one that RIM could win on merit, if only it tried.
    Cozmik, tkresge and howarmat like this.
    09-11-11 07:49 AM
    [QUOTE=freespeed27;6667115]I
    If RIM were truly committed to their product, they would be bending over backward for the developers of great apps to build them for BlackBerry. Pay them if necessary, but then build the relationship and work with them to make the Epocrates/Kindle/�insert popular app here� experience on PlayBook every bit as good as on the iPad. They�ve already invested likely hundreds of millions into developing the Playbook, why not continue investing in high-reward areas that will actually make your product more desirable and usable?/QUOTE]

This is absolutely true. But RIM's problem is much more basic that that. They seem to be unable (unwilling?) to spend a few thousands of dollars so that developers can access PlayBook's awesome hardware. It is not even possible to write apps that use Blueooth, usb or sensors other than GPS.

I know I will get the usual reminders that I need to be patient and that the much-anticipated "re-launch" will magically result in a plethora of killer apps. They will tell me that the NDK and Android player will solve all of RIM's problems by instantly giving users what they crave.

The reality is different. Business, scientific and medical apps (and users of these apps) do not materialize out of thin air. RIM will continue to lag behind the competition unless they take drastic measures to attract a large base of "native" developers who can deliver the goods.
    09-11-11 09:05 AM
    Well, I believe, if not for the present PlayBook hardware specs, QNX flawlessly multi-task will not be that good... so, hardware specs really matters... and it has to do with anything we are experiencing rigth now and RIM plans on future QNX...
    09-11-11 10:21 AM
    Nice review! Enjoyed it... Just like you, I am continuing to wait.
    09-11-11 12:12 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD