Hey guys, I'm a doctor that writes for imedicalapps.com, and I wrote up a review for how the PlayBook functions as a smaller, more convenient tablet. Thought you guys might enjoy the read.

Note: I intentionally tried to focus on the practical, professional aspects of the PlayBook rather than just just a typical gadget blog. This led to less of an emphasis on certain aspects, such as gaming/photography, etc.
    07-06-11 12:56 PM
    I agree with your review. This would be perfect for doctors and nurses, but the lack of or should I say no medical apps, kills this right now. We run Epic in a big way, and they have both iPad and iPhone apps, doubt they'll be ported to the PlayBook though.
    07-06-11 01:36 PM
    cant wait to see how the flyer compares
    07-06-11 01:42 PM
    very well composed, and a great write up
    07-06-11 02:21 PM
    Thanks for the review. I enjoy reading about how people use their Playbooks at their job.

As far as the apps go, yes the current situation is bad. This mostly has to do with how most Blackberry phone developers write their apps for a java environment and as far as I know, RIM has not released the API's for java and the Playbook. The app situation is sure to get much better in a few months.
    07-06-11 02:38 PM
    So for medical purposes, it's like owning a 600 HP tractor to haul an empty trailer. So much potential, and nothing to haul.

I remember one of the first YouTube videos showing a medical usage-viewing an X-ray. They need to get out of this cranial-rectal inversion mode and start making this device live up to its potential.

Nice job on the article, I sincerely hope they can turn this corner and pay attention to detail.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-06-11 03:04 PM
    as a premed, its nice to see what a doctor thinks about the pb
    07-06-11 03:14 PM
    I am a physician and Blackberry enthusiast including proud owner of a Playbook. Right now, my playbook allows me to handle e-prescription requests but little else in the way of business productivity (but don't even get me started on the non-business uses!). I'm eagerly awaiting more applications and uses for our profession!
    07-06-11 07:41 PM
    I really enjoyed reading your review! A very unbiased, yet honest look at the Playbook. Can't wait to read about the HTC Flyer. Thanks for sharing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-06-11 08:02 PM
    Yeah the apps have sucked on ever since they were called apps. This isn't just a 2 month old issue.
    07-06-11 08:17 PM
    Hey guys, I'm a doctor that writes for imedicalapps.com, and I wrote up a review for how the PlayBook functions as a smaller, more convenient tablet. Thought you guys might enjoy the read.

Note: I intentionally tried to focus on the practical, professional aspects of the PlayBook rather than just just a typical gadget blog. This led to less of an emphasis on certain aspects, such as gaming/photography, etc.
    Wondering if the Playbook had the medical apps you require for work, would this have been the device you use for work?

Also are these all of the main apps used in the medical field?
    07-06-11 08:57 PM
    i like your review, yet for most people PlayBook wins when it comes to work..
    07-06-11 08:58 PM

Im not a doctor but when I go to my family physician he sometimes references some big *** book (must be some sort of reference book anyway). Any way you can get that on pdf? That might bring some additional utility to the device.
    07-06-11 09:03 PM
    Im not a doctor but when I go to my family physician he sometimes references some big *** book (must be some sort of reference book anyway). Any way you can get that on pdf? That might bring some additional utility to the device.
    Only the copyright holder (publisher/author) can do that. No different than the situation with e-books.
    07-06-11 09:10 PM
    Only the copyright holder (publisher/author) can do that. No different than the situation with e-books.
    Was just saying the author might offer it on pdf.
    07-06-11 09:13 PM
    Doc, it hurts my head when I read whiner posts. Any suggestions?
    07-06-11 10:04 PM
    Is there no third party med apps from companies like SAP or IBM, you
    might not find them in app world?
    07-06-11 11:04 PM
    I'm a second year medical student and use my playbook every single day.
    It goes with me to the library because I have my 5 main text books in pdf format on it (wish there was a CHM reader though because a few books are CHM format), but I never pull it out on ward rounds. Maybe after a ward round to look something up quickly.

I def think that we need some med apps, but even before that we need a SEARCH FUNCTION in the PDF Reader so that I don't have to scroll through a 1000 page book looking for 1 topic.

Again, the potential to be something really special, but still worth every penny for me currently
    tkresge, purijagmohan and Jake2826 like this.
    07-06-11 11:30 PM
    thanks for the feedback. i'll post an update when the flyer review gets posted, although it might not be for a few weeks. i also plan on doing a head to head afterwards.

i'll give a sneak peek for you folks however, for those of you who might be on the fence in terms of purchasing. my overall feel is that i'm disappointed by the HTC Flyer, except for the stylus support.

in terms of hardware, it's two-toned white/grey blend comes off as cheap, and it doesn't feel as sturdy overall. what i expected to be its strength (app support due to being on Android) is not quite there. i'm still trying to figure it out, but Android's fragmentation is glaringly present. Since Google hasn't yet authorized Honeycomb to be used on 7 inch tablets, it's running a modded version of Gingerbread. Therefore, a lot of the medical apps (and Hulu Plus, Netflix) don't seem to function properly and/or are not supported. I'm still trying to get to the bottom of this, so don't quote me on it.

The Android Tablet OS itself is nice and has some perks, but the PlayBook OS is better-designed in my opinion. The Flyer's keyboard does offer spell-check and autocorrect, in addition to easy insertion of punctation by holding down certain letter keys. Those improvements are key.

The stylus support is impressive and disappointing at the same time. Since its unique as an Android tablet, there are few (maybe none) third party apps that support the stylus (it's a whole different input mechanism, rather than just simulating a finger). The official HTC notes application is well-designed, though, and it syncs automatically with Evernote, which is great. The stylus performs quite well, although there is a slight delay, and it's a little noisier than i expected (the tap tap sound of older styluses). However, as the only software option is the official Notes application, there are times where I would desire more complex features.

so in summary, it's a tough call. Both the PlayBook and HTC Flyer have significant shortcomings, in my opinion. Gut reaction, I am more impressed with the PlayBook from a hardware/OS perspective, but I think the HTC Flyer has more long-term potential (given the fact that Android is not going anywhere) and the stylus support is a unique perk. If the app situation and fragmentation improves on the HTC Flyer, I think it would potentially be something I would carry around daily.

I wouldn't rush out to buy either one, though. They both have a ways to go.
    Last edited by ahncall; 07-06-11 at 11:41 PM.
    07-06-11 11:39 PM
    but I think the HTC Flyer has more long-term potential (given the fact that Android is not going anywhere)
    Neither is QNX and the Playbook. That's funny though.
    07-07-11 12:50 AM
    Just because there are no apps in the app store doesn't mean there are no medical apps for the playbook. I personally know of at least 2 PACS companies that have invested deeply into the playbook for their SW. They just do everything in the browser. One vendor was @ HIMSS with a pre-release playbook showing off their SW.

You don't need apps when you have a properly functioning browser.
    07-07-11 06:36 AM
    Just because there are no apps in the app store doesn't mean there are no medical apps for the playbook. I personally know of at least 2 PACS companies that have invested deeply into the playbook for their SW. They just do everything in the browser. One vendor was @ HIMSS with a pre-release playbook showing off their SW.

You don't need apps when you have a properly functioning browser.
    What about if you're in an area with no wifi, such as some place deep within the bowels of a hospital?

An app with offline content that you could search within would be very useful.
    07-07-11 06:47 AM
    So you're basically trying to get more hits on your blog?
    07-07-11 07:17 AM
    What about if you're in an area with no wifi, such as some place deep within the bowels of a hospital?

An app with offline content that you could search within would be very useful.
    How about using the browser off line with locally saved content like you can do on a computer?
    07-07-11 07:22 AM
    So you're basically trying to get more hits on your blog?
    Yes, spamming is OK if it contains playbook praise. If anyone dared post links to any Ipad2 med apps as a comparison to hp or playbook, they will get a timeout and have to sit in the corner.
    07-07-11 07:26 AM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD