Beginning to wonder what's up with RIM. They seem to have sold a lot of Playbooks at launch and their TV ads must be driving new sales. But Playbook has some serious shortcomings that have been well discussed in this forum. But lots of Playbook owners are asking for fixes, functionality and new apps; the product just isn't up to its ads ... but not a word from RIM. Seems like there was a bunch of stuff released at Blackberry World, but not much since, and no indication of what and when it's coming next.

What's up with that. RIM can't afford to operate like Apple. RIM stock is in free fall and lots of smart people are betting RIM is going to be the next PALM. I know all the tech companies like to keep secrets, but RIM better get moving and start delivering.

Do we think anyone from RIM bothers reading this stuff.
    05-26-11 09:02 PM
    I doubt it.
    05-26-11 09:08 PM
    maybe they are too busy reading engadget hehe
    pb will be launched in china, europe (uk & holland) (june?) and indonesia (august).
    3g version should be launched sometime in june thru sprint (?) but no update so far.
    so june will be a busy month, so at least next month they will feed media something.

but the silence - don't know - rim bosses seems to be sulking. or something. they are not the most open person. i mean jon rubinstein is way better, more open, more media-acceptable. even though palm went rip.
    05-26-11 09:09 PM
    RIM stock is in free fall
    free fall being a 1% rise today then? and consitently up for the last 3 days! not really a freefall, lets not all be melodramatic here.

maybe RIM comes on here, maybe they dont, they are by no means obliged to, if you have an issue then either contact them on support or leave a post on their own device support forums.

im sure they are working on stuff, software isnt like simply going `we need to fix this this and this, ah there we go, done` software is alot more complex than that, with tens if not hundreds of thousands of lines of code, in which even on letter or symbol out could cause a glitch.

im sure RIM are working on stuff, but until they`ve tested it, giving you a date it would be very poor idea, because lets say theres a bug and they need to fix this prior to launching that update, then that could easily set them past the date, leaving you crying into your cereal and hating them when if they`d said nothing or used unambiguous terms such as `summer` or `shortly` or `as the platform evolves` then you wouldnt have a solid date to get all upset about. its called managing expectations.
    05-26-11 09:11 PM
    I think RIM does read Crackberry, so Yes. As for why the delay, I am not sure, it could be that the competition have made or are in negotiations to have exclusivity on certain "in demand" apps. Hopefully that is not the case, it screams anti trust and competitive lawsuits. The other reason for delays could be RIM itself, not wanting to overextend itself in the "tablet" market. Perhaps waiting for sales figures from Europe and Asia. I hope this is not the case since half hearted attempts in this new market will only guarantee the doom of the product by cutting off any legs it was hoping to start running on.
    05-26-11 09:13 PM
    As for why the delay
    what delay? when have they given you a firm date and said OS x.x.x will be out on this date? even if we were to go off what kevin said in a podcast where he had been talking to someone at bbworld and they said they were looking to do monthly updates, EVEN if thats true (in the sense that a comment to a blogger on what they wish to do isnt nessecarily what they finally decide to do) then they still have over a week.

there simply is no delay.
    05-26-11 09:18 PM
    05-26-11 09:20 PM
    i sure hope they read it, they'd be stupid if they don't. so many fixes for the playbook are software related so its not like it'd cost them anything in terms of hardware, seeing what the customer wants right at the source seems like a good idea to me, but like a lot of companies they don't bother to browse forums.

3 simple fixes they could do its to make the backlight time-out set to 0 so it never goes on giving the playbook the ability to be a digital picture frame or a clock while plugged in (with the app of course) and have the power-on LED blink red when there is a new notification while bridged just like the smartphone, and maybe bezel scrolling - that'd make a lot of people happy, its all software related and im sure it wouldn't even take that long to do, especially the first 2.
    05-26-11 09:21 PM
    i sure hope they read it, they'd be stupid if they don't.
    wouldnt we be the stupid ones for not posting on their forum where we know they read our stuff? i mean posting something here they `may` look at it, but theres no guarantee, posting it on their own forum or contacting their support would mean they actually know for certain. you cant expect to comment here, not tell them, then expect it fixed when you havent informed them, they ent psyhcic lol.

and yes i know for a fact they do read the forum from time to time, however when people keep starting threads for the same thing, and basically clogging up the forums with multiple threads on the same subject, then its gonna make it harder for them to find your potentially legitamte gripes.
    05-26-11 09:27 PM
    free fall being a 1% rise today then? and consitently up for the last 3 days! not really a freefall, lets not all be melodramatic here.

maybe RIM comes on here, maybe they dont, they are by no means obliged to, if you have an issue then either contact them on support or leave a post on their own device support forums.

im sure they are working on stuff, software isnt like simply going `we need to fix this this and this, ah there we go, done` software is alot more complex than that, with tens if not hundreds of thousands of lines of code, in which even on letter or symbol out could cause a glitch.

im sure RIM are working on stuff, but until they`ve tested it, giving you a date it would be very poor idea, because lets say theres a bug and they need to fix this prior to launching that update, then that could easily set them past the date, leaving you crying into your cereal and hating them when if they`d said nothing or used unambiguous terms such as `summer` or `shortly` or `as the platform evolves` then you wouldnt have a solid date to get all upset about. its called managing expectations.
    Not being melodramtic. RIM stock being up 1% in 3 days gives me no comfort. It's been sliding since June 2008, when it peaked at $148 a share. Close today was $42.70 off a low of $41.46. It's off from a high of $69.30 a year ago.

Point isn't whether they promised and aren't delivering; There is a lot of smart money betting they won't succeed with the playbook and bring new phones successfully to market this year.

Read this article.
    RIM stock: the next Palm? | FP Tech Desk | Financial Post

I'm hoping these guys do succeed; but they have to deliver some Playbook fixes soon and get some key apps on the device. They could do a lot more to manage expectations.
    05-26-11 09:45 PM

if they read this forum they would probably have people going insane left and right with the emotional rollercoaster that is this forum. for every 1 "playbook is awsome" post you get 3 idiotic posts. those who are on here are already insane so it levels us out. there is no delay i would expect this next update to totally cause your pants to burst into flames, if they have taken this long it has to be good. like everything good in life will come in due time, and dont wear pants durring the update.

mind you its a hope, despite all my rummaging there is no indication when the update is or how pants burning good it will be. but for all the trouble of staying quiet about it rim is doing, i have a sneaking suspicion socks will be knocked, pants will be burned, and your mind may melt. also trying to stay positive.
    05-26-11 09:47 PM
    Not being melodramtic. RIM stock being up 1% in 3 days gives me no comfort. It's been sliding since June 2008, when it peaked at $148 a share. Close today was $42.70 off a low of $41.46. It's off from a high of $69.30 a year ago.

Point isn't whether they promised and aren't delivering; There is a lot of smart money betting they won't succeed with the playbook and bring new phones successfully to market this year.

Read this article.

I'm hoping these guys do succeed; but they have to deliver some Playbook fixes soon and get some key apps on the device. They could do a lot more to manage expectations.
    you seem to have misread my comment, i didnt say up 1% over 3 days, i said up 1% on today (as in just today) and positive gains for the last 3 days, thats two seperate comments, either way ya look at it not the `freefall` one would expect, being as fall tends to imply a downwards fashion.

oh and on the subject of how well a companys doing vs its stock, apple stock is down 5% from this time last year. yet even with them being down they`ll prob have close to $100Bn by end 2012.

as for the article you link to, RIM is no plam, palm had issues with cashflow and getting the hardware, RIM doesnt have those issues, yet everyone forgets that, even if ya took devices away from RIM they still have alot of service based assests which is a big thing.

but how do you manage the expectations of those who expect a new software build every other day? thats just ridiulous, to make software updates you need to
    a) garner information about the current software, any bugs, issues etc, and more importantly the circumstances in which they happened, this will of course be done throught their support channels and their web forums, not potentially here.
    b) replicate said issues/bugs so as to have a working event log to understand what went wrong and where
    c) inspect event logs to identify potential cause of issues
    d) check code for said issue against event log, then re-code or edit code to potentially fix issue
    e) update dev device and again repeat circumstances in which error occured
    f) if not fixed return to point b) if fixed then tick that one issue as potentially sorted and move on to next

repeat above for EVERY reported issue. this will give you a potential build.

then same issues must be tested plus a general useage test to ensure update is working correctly.

say all goes well, theres your bug fix only update. hardly a ten second job, then add into that equation that you`ll be wanting to add improvements to apps/platform, and these will need the same testing too.

but yes they should be able to do all of this in a day or two easily right?
    05-26-11 10:03 PM
    what delay? when have they given you a firm date and said OS x.x.x will be out on this date? even if we were to go off what kevin said in a podcast where he had been talking to someone at bbworld and they said they were looking to do monthly updates, EVEN if thats true (in the sense that a comment to a blogger on what they wish to do isnt nessecarily what they finally decide to do) then they still have over a week.

there simply is no delay.
    The delay mentioned was in reference to this thread's authors' question about his/her perceived delay in 3rd party apps. I was just speculating that is why I chose words and combinations like "could and have and could be"
    I agree that RIM has smartly not given any timelines to updates or release of the promised "super apps". The RIM of just a few years ago was the king of underestimating when it came to things like sales and profits only to beat the street time and time again.
    I love my Playbook to death, it is the best Tablet out there and if you consider some of its shortcomings thats saying a lot but I am by no means a Fanboy of RIM or anyone else.
    I recently attended a research scrum sponsored by RIM. From what I can gather they are still a smart phone company with an interesting timeline of new updated Blackberry and Next Gen QNX Blackberry phones in the pipe, the latter being sometime next year or earlier.
    I am speculating and hoping that these new launches do not detract them from committing 100% to a tablet market that I think they can compete and win.
    Last edited by LesIsTechSavy; 05-26-11 at 10:43 PM.
    05-26-11 10:38 PM
    I wouldn't say RIM's stock is in a freefall, but it doesn't seem to be doing so well, either. It's worst performance seems to be the end of 2008, where it dropped from a high of about $145 to a low of about $38, all in about 6 months. From there, it has remained fairly level, only peaking at about $70 in mid-2009. Other than that, the stock has hovered right around $45.

Nope... no freefall. That happened years ago. But if you look at their performance compared to others and the market, they don't seem to be as strong as they should be.
    05-27-11 06:28 AM

Read this article.

I don't know if you heard we went through a global recession almost everyones stock price went down. Also basing your opinion on the stock price is not that great of an idea. I have seen GE stock prices fall but in no way think one day it will go out of business.

For all saying RIM is dead or it will be gone soon, sorry to tell them blackberry is a brand known throughout the globe. Even if they are involved in a takeover the blackberry brand will probably survive because of brand recognition.
    05-27-11 06:41 AM
    I've been over to the blackberry support forums and almost every issue that has been brought up here, has been brought up over there as well. I'm sure there are a few RIM reps that are looking through the forum, monitoring our discussions and reporting back. I think most businesses monitor their fansites. That being said, it's important that you do use their support forums in addition to CB.
    05-27-11 07:19 AM
    Do you think anyone at RIM reads this stuff?

I think they are so busy posting in the "Imaginary Update" thread, that they don't have time to actually roll out the update!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-11 09:14 AM

If your talking on Crackberry I highly doubt it, the two people I know that work there said it could cost them their jobs. They don't even get on this site (nothing against this site).
    05-27-11 09:58 AM
    Is it really to much to ask for a device that actually works? I mean it's one thing to wait for the odd update to fix minor issues but this thing is quickly becoming a paperweight for many. I really really want to like this device but I'm not having any luck
    05-27-11 10:05 AM

Read this article.

Agreed, I think most people would see a 70% off sign as a going out of business sale. OK maybe that was a bi dramatic and they are not going out of business anytime soon, but 70% off is a freefall.
    05-27-11 10:10 AM
    RIM tech support CS told me that they have a company policy not to read forum sites like this one.
    The only thing you can do is to call CS with comments and problems.
    05-27-11 11:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD