View Poll Results: Do you like to see BB10 Dev Beta on PB before Christmas?

Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • Great idea because it strengthen BB10 presence in holiday season!

67 52.76%
  • Yes if it doesn't pull too much resource from main line f development on BB10 phones

40 31.50%
  • No need for extra distraction, RIM should be laser focusing on BB10 phone development

25 19.69%
  • Bad idea, period.

6 4.72%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Personally, I like to see it before Christmas if it doesn't jeopardize the launch in Q1, 2013. And I believe the bugs found through beta testing on PB will be beneficial for yielding a more robust build at launch.
    10-22-12 08:51 PM
    doubtful, they have the dev alphas for the testing for the most part. Their focus is very much on the phones and the PB seems to be on the very back burner right now.

would i like to see it, of course but i dont count on it
    10-22-12 08:54 PM
    Multi-choice guys.
    Zildjian71 likes this.
    10-22-12 08:56 PM
    doubtful, they have the dev alphas for the testing for the most part. Their focus is very much on the phones and the PB seems to be on the very back burner right now.
    Not enough man, beta testing is a huge part of the development cycle in any SW development. The larger the scale of development, the more important it is.
    FF22 likes this.
    10-22-12 08:58 PM
    I would say they will only bring it out to the PlayBook if the BB10 phone version is complete. If there is still work to do, then it doesn't make sense to add to the pre-release work.
    10-22-12 10:10 PM
    Wishful thinking by the threadstarter.

BB10 WILL come some months AFTER phone launch. Probably by last quarter of next year.

Now just sit tight and stop these BB10 for Playbook threads.
    Zildjian71 and peter9477 like this.
    10-22-12 10:17 PM
    Wishful thinking by the threadstarter.

BB10 WILL come some months AFTER phone launch. Probably by last quarter of next year.

Now just sit tight and stop these BB10 for Playbook threads.
    Talking about Dev beta here, not official release.
    10-22-12 10:21 PM
    May I ask you what you have as proof behind your statement about your timing for that update? It's always nice to follow someone with inside information.
    10-22-12 10:25 PM
    How many here posted a bug during the 2.1 beta?
    l signed up for and ran beta 2.1 and I don't even know how or where to post a bug.
    10-22-12 10:30 PM
    How many here posted a bug during the 2.1 beta?
    l signed up for and ran beta 2.1 and I don't even know how or where to post a bug.
    Bugs can be posted in the Issue Tracker: https://www.blackberry.com/jira
    aha and DrBoomBotz like this.
    10-22-12 11:27 PM
    It would be great to see it before xmas, and it would be the smart move. There is focus on the phone, but I am sure RIM is thinking they need an ecosystem and BB10 should be designed to be a pretty universal OS for them. I think BB10 Dev. beta will be released at the latest around the same time as the phones and the final will be out a few months after. I could even see RIM releasing the beta in December as a bit of a grass roots marketing tool and to make sure developers have access to it streamline their BB10 phone app with BB10 PlayBook.

Also (though I don't know the wording they have, so maybe it doesn't apply) with the 10k challenge, RIM would be wise to have 2 devices to make the chances of selling that app a bit higher. In this case even though BB10 final probably won't be out at the same time, the less time between them the better. I don't know if you have to buy the same app for each device (I hope not), but it would not leave out those single device consumers (PB owners waiting to see if they should stick with RIM for the BB10 phone or waiting to their contract to expire).

Maybe I am too optimistic, but I think that would be a good move by them... and they seem to be making good moves now.
    aha likes this.
    10-23-12 01:02 AM
    It certainly would be a smart move. If it is as "amazing" as they say BB10 on the playbook before Xmas would bring wonderful advertisement for their phones in January.

Also it would be technically feasible, since development for large touchscreen phones and tablets is very close, and they are already testing it on pb anyway.

But then it's RIM so you can doubt they will do anything smart. Or maybe their OS is so buggy that they don't want people to discover that until they have sold a good number of phones to their usual customers...
    aha likes this.
    10-23-12 04:20 AM
    I don't think you'll see a beta until after the BB10 Phones are released.

There will probably be at least 1 beta release before the official PlayBook BB10 though.

And yes, I'd like to see a beta before Christmas, but I doubt it will happen.
    10-23-12 04:51 AM
    I like the OS2.1... No problem waiting
    10-23-12 04:57 AM
    Let me add, since the edit post button just spins when I tried to edit my last post, that I hope for an OTA update that fixes the icons disappearing from the dock on the home screen and arrow keys/tab button on the virtual keyboard. Preferably before Christmas.
    10-23-12 05:21 AM
    If it's a pb beta yes, if it's the phone beta no.
    aha likes this.
    10-23-12 05:28 AM
    i hope there will be a new beta and it would be nice to have bb10, current OS still lacks many necessary functions....
    If its not worse than the current 2.1 i will take any new beta OS.
    Had the 2.1 beta running since it was released and never had problems with it.
    aha likes this.
    10-23-12 05:36 AM
    i wouldnt like to, i would love to!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    aha likes this.
    10-23-12 05:36 AM
    If it's a pb beta yes, if it's the phone beta no.
    Definitely, the only BB10-capable blackberry hardware out there is PB. No phones can run BB10 until the launch.
    10-23-12 07:45 AM
    May I ask you what you have as proof behind your statement about your timing for that update? It's always nice to follow someone with inside information.
    I did read someone from RIM mentioned their plan to have a beta release on PB "a little before the launch", but he didn't specify how "little" that is.
    10-23-12 07:51 AM
    Sorry OP, but we (developers) have been told specifically that there will NOT be a BB10 beta on the PlayBook prior to the release of BB10.

End. Of. Story.
    homer1475 likes this.
    10-23-12 08:00 AM
    I did read someone from RIM mentioned their plan to have a beta release on PB "a little before the launch", but he didn't specify how "little" that is.
    yes, it was a tweet from @BlackBerryDev, in the beginning of Oct., someone even posted a screenshot here.
    10-23-12 08:08 AM
    The problem I have with RIM releasing anything in December or anyone else for that matter is it's a known fact that solar maximum starts in the early part of December this year, it's also known that NASA and scientific community have laid down their cards and have said the solar maximum this year may have the same impact as the Carrington event did in 1859 were the suns release of radiation (this is when the north and south pole of the sun flip) was so intense that is fried almost all of the telegraph systems around the world. Our world is still fragile that we could be without power for a while. There is a bill that has been in the US congress for the last 3 years that has been stalled that is to pour 14 billion into the US hydro network. Currently the way the infrastructure is designed power travels over the the transmission lines to power stations, from the lines it goes to transformers there is nothing in between to regulate the power if there is a spike. When a solar storm hits a the transmission line it amplifies the current traveling across the lines that it causes massive damages to the transformers. We are not safe in Canada, Ontario either Ontario Hydro (hydro one) sells our power to the US and in turn buys it back from them, so our power goes out over to NY say and in turn we buy it back from Ohio.

If this event were to happen this would make the power outage of 2003 look like a walk in the park as we could be faced with a lengthy power outage for months as the hydro operators at best keep 10 to 20 transformers as replacement units on had at any one given time. . Keep in mind grocery stores only keep 72 hours of food stocked, there will be no water running in our taps, etc. No way to pump gas. With no power that means there will be no way for the hydro companies around the world to properly power down the nuclear power plants, these take months to properly cool down so their could be melt downs. Just look at the issues at Fukushima with reactor 4 catching fire recently and the fuel pools being exposed. These pools consist of thousands of tons of plutonium.

I am not trying to be mr. doom and gloom and would love to see RIM release something before December but I am not holding my breath. Also not everyone is self aware so I expect most of you to be hostile which is fine. )
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    10-23-12 08:10 AM
    So, does that mean that there will be a BB10 beta for playbook after BB10 for the phones is released?
    10-23-12 08:13 AM
    Check out the second search result in the link below... don't click on it yet, read it directly on google page... the tweet was deleted by Rim but Google kept the record.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&no....1.jSX-UO-DkuI

I think it means it's in RIM's plan but they don't want to promise anything. Hence the tweet and then the deleting.
    10-23-12 08:15 AM
59 123