I finally got my Bold 9930. Ditched the iPhone 4 (good riddance!) an I'm am very impressed with the Bridge capability.

Now my question is, do you have the devices bridged all day? Are you worried that it can damage the Bluetooth in anyway, and not work at all after sometime?
    09-25-11 09:40 PM
    and all night too. No I don't worry about it damaging the bluetooth.
    09-25-11 09:44 PM
    all the time
    09-25-11 10:14 PM
    My 9700 has been bridged to PB day and night since April. No ill effects so far.
    daniekl likes this.
    09-25-11 10:19 PM
    I have it on ALL the time - days on end. Like right now.
    09-25-11 10:22 PM
    I only bridge it when I need it.. My concern is more on power consumption than messing up the BT...
    09-25-11 10:23 PM
    Wow, you guys really have the PB bridged all the time? That's a use case I hadn't considered. With the constant use of BT on both devices maintaining the bridge, what do you do about battery life on each device? Or do you sleep the PB and phone when not in use?

I have a PB and 9850 (luv em both) but I think this constant connection would suck down the batteries.
    09-25-11 10:24 PM
    Bridged24/7. One of the best features of the PlayBook and a Berry is the Bridge.

And I too just ditched an iPhone 4 for a Bold 9900. What a phone!! And with the PlayBook what a combo!!!
    09-25-11 10:25 PM
    By the way, Ivan, it's time to edit your user info which at this point still reads "waiting on... 9930" Also, congratulations
    09-25-11 10:25 PM
    I never turn off Bridge, even when I'm out without my PlayBook.
    09-25-11 10:28 PM
    Forever and ever.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-25-11 10:34 PM
    Is your connection stable? Mine drops the connection regularly.
    09-25-11 10:43 PM
    Now my question is, do you have the devices bridged all day? Are you worried that it can damage the Bluetooth in anyway, and not work at all after sometime?
    Yes, I have my BlackBerry PlayBook bridged 24 hours a day with my BlackBerry Bold 9780 and previously my BlackBerry Bold 9700. No, I do not worry that Bluetooth will mysteriously become damaged. Perhaps you meant to ask if we fear the Bluetooth hardware might wear out from constant use/activation. The warranty on both devices should protect us from hardware failures at least during the initial years after purchase.
    09-25-11 10:45 PM
    Is your connection stable? Mine drops the connection regularly.
    I have only experienced connection "lock-up" or refusal to connect on two occasions. Both times the tablet had been left at home when I took the smartphone out of the house and was away for an extended period of time. A simple reboot of both devices restored Bluetooth connectivity. As for being unstable I have not encountered such behaviour yet.
    SlcCorrado likes this.
    09-25-11 10:49 PM
    Mine is only bridged when I need it or want it bridged. But after reading what the masses do, I might just hop on board the 24/7 bridge train. Now that I got my new Bold and upped my data plan to 6gb/month, there is no excuse not to.
    jabroniw likes this.
    09-25-11 10:51 PM
    Mine are bridged since I got the Playbook 2 months ago.
    The only time when there is no connection between the two devices is when one of them is being restarted: 2-3 times for the Playbook and once per week for the Torch.
    Also, my Playbook has all the time WiFi enabled.

If I use the playbook during the day, I have to recharge it when I go to sleep. If I don't use it very often - it takes 3-4 days to drain the battery.

I don't see why I should turn off the bridge connection. Usually, my phone is on my belt and my Playbook is on my desk. When I get a mail it is easy to just swipe from top to bottom on the playbook, instead of taking my phone out of the holster
    Basically, I'm using the phone only for Voice calls and BBM Group messages.
    09-25-11 10:57 PM
    I didnt even consider keeping the devices bridged for that long of time as I presume that the battery life on either device would simply not last thoughout the day. Can you really go through the entire day?

At best, I bridge the two if I need to access the internet on the Playbook and I am outside of a wifi area. Aside from that, I dont really use the bridge as I find for accessing email/bbm messages, that my 9780 is far superior in that regard.
    09-25-11 11:01 PM
    Can you really go through the entire day?
    Well, the Playbook is not my primary device
    I have a laptop at work and desktop PC at home.

I suppose, if I had no laptop or PC, the Playbook's battery will hold not more than 6 hours of usage (I've never actually measured that time ).
    But the truth is that you never use your tablet all the time - you meet people, work, sleep ...

In case you get out of power during the day, then switching the bridge and WiFi off when not needed makes sense .
    Consider also reducing display brightness and keep both devices in sleep mode when you are not using them.
    Last edited by batboris; 09-25-11 at 11:17 PM.
    abvw likes this.
    09-25-11 11:12 PM
    Mine is bridged all the time. I get the whole day out of the PlayBook and usually 2 days out of my BB.
    09-25-11 11:23 PM
    No because it runs the batteries down faster - most notably the phone with bluetooth enabled, otherwise I would.
    09-25-11 11:30 PM
    I only connect the two when I need it.

I have the Seido extended battery so it helps when I do use the bridge.

Tim
    09-25-11 11:33 PM
    Permanently......the only time it might disconnect is when I stray too far from my phone at home. When I get back in range, one tap of the padlocked email app and boom - bridged again!
    09-25-11 11:33 PM
    I too leave it on all the time. However I put my BB to sleep every night (so not to get crazy calls in the middle of the night), and what I use to have to do is do a battery pull on my BB in the morning in order to reconnect to the PB.

NOW...after the update??? (not sure when it happened), it all of a sudden just reconnects. The only time I might have a problem is if I have to leave the PB behind in my car or something for an extended period of time and sometimes it won't reconnect. I'm starting to leave my BB with my PB so they stay connected.

Battery life is fine but I don't use email as much as the average business person. This BIRDGEing is awesome.
    09-25-11 11:41 PM
    All day, all night...bro

They get lonely, you know.

My Storm has great battery life with bluetooth on anyway.
    Using the PB for about 2 hours a day, up to about 6 hours a day. Battery always lasts.

Plus, I think the best way to avoid worrying about Batteries is just to keep a charger at work. Charger at bed. Get a spare battery. And I'm usually set for a few days.
    09-26-11 12:04 AM
    most of the time, except when battery life becomes issue. bridge is big reason i got pb.
    09-26-11 12:05 AM
87 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD