File upload/download is different than using another device as a viewer.
    all files upload and download as well as media streaming.
    He'd be doing Full Screen browsing on the PlayBook, so in that case the Atrix would be eewwwww
    but it sure is sweet to have a full form factor screen on your phone for surfing the internet when you're out and about without your tablet. But as you say, for many people all they care about is emailing and texting type activities and a physical KB is much better for that
    01-17-12 09:30 PM
    but it sure is sweet to have a full form factor screen on your phone for surfing the internet when you're out and about without your tablet. But as you say, for many people all they care about is emailing and texting type activities and a physical KB is much better for that

So media Streaming allows files to be sent/opened? like PDF's from within emails?

I am sure having the 4" screen is semi pleasing when surfing the net, but you still lose that screen when typing, I spend far more time doing than viewing, but to each there own
    01-18-12 08:28 AM
    So media Streaming allows files to be sent/opened? like PDF's from within emails?
    I'm still not quite sure what you need to do, so I'll just let you know what it basically does -

-You start mobile hotspot on your phone, connect to it on your PB. Then you start the android app WiFi File explorer on your phone, which then acts pretty much as a file and media server. (note that you don't even have to have data enabled on your phone for this phone-to-PB WiFi connectivity)

-You punch in the IP address WiFi File Explorer tells you to on your PB browser, and then you can see the interface for your phone's file structure. From there you can transfer files back and forth, as well as stream any music/video media content that resides on your phone.

That's it in a nutshell, but if you're looking for stuff like email integration, attachments etc, then it won't do that. But... Android also has a free app called ES File Explorer, and it has integration with Dropbox, Sugarsync and Box and it will also connect to content that resides on your Playbook. You can transfer files back and forth between your phone, PB, and cloud accounts pretty easily. ES File Explorer is already on OS2 Beta I hear so we'll get it pretty soon on the official. It's a really damn good app

edit: for email stuff though, isn't that going to be fixed next month with OS2 anyway? If that's the case, that would negate any need for a phone to manage email attachments on your PB.
    Last edited by omniusovermind; 01-18-12 at 08:52 AM.
    01-18-12 08:48 AM
    I'm still not quite sure what you need to do, so I'll just let you know what it basically does -

-You start mobile hotspot on your phone, connect to it on your PB. Then you start the android app WiFi File explorer on your phone, which then acts pretty much as a file and media server. (note that you don't even have to have data enabled on your phone for this phone-to-PB WiFi connectivity)

-You punch in the IP address WiFi File Explorer tells you to on your PB browser, and then you can see the interface for your phone's file structure. From there you can transfer files back and forth, as well as stream any music/video media content that resides on your phone.

That's it in a nutshell, but if you're looking for stuff like email integration, attachments etc, then it won't do that. But... Android also has a free app called ES File Explorer, and it has integration with Dropbox, Sugarsync and Box and it will also connect to content that resides on your Playbook. You can transfer files back and forth between your phone, PB, and cloud accounts pretty easily. ES File Explorer is already on OS2 Beta I hear so we'll get it pretty soon on the official. It's a really damn good app
    It does sound like a great app, But it isn't what OS2 brings to the pairing of BB and PB like you mentioned earlier

with OS2 PB/BB I receive a PDF in an email, since I have a small screen and the PDF is an Engieers drawing I click "Open on PlayBook" and the PDF file opens on the PlayBook screen, it is not saved onto either device per say, it resides in temporary memory.
    the same goes for Excel, Word, Picture files
    Bridge has been able to access files on the BlackBerry for a long time like the way this file exporer does, (Not sure about streaming I have no video/audio content on my BB to try that)

So with Apps you get some of the function with An Android as you do with the Bridge, but not all, and it takes a few more steps to get there.
    01-18-12 08:54 AM
    It does sound like a great app, But it isn't what OS2 brings to the pairing of BB and PB like you mentioned earlier

with OS2 PB/BB I receive a PDF in an email, since I have a small screen and the PDF is an Engieers drawing I click "Open on PlayBook" and the PDF file opens on the PlayBook screen, it is not saved onto either device per say, it resides in temporary memory.
    the same goes for Excel, Word, Picture files
    Bridge has been able to access files on the BlackBerry for a long time like the way this file exporer does, (Not sure about streaming I have no video/audio content on my BB to try that)

So with Apps you get some of the function with An Android as you do with the Bridge, but not all, and it takes a few more steps to get there.
    I'm getting from this that you don't use web based email services, where you could access this stuff from either device anyway come OS2? You're using POP3 or something like that? What I mean by that is that, for example, If I want to access the email from my ISP, I can either a) login to my ISP's mail website rogers.yahoo.com, or b) set up Outlook on my PC to download my email using POP3. So you're looking to use method b, but as it applies to an app on your phone?

Because come OS2, you`ll be able to do exactly what bridging is doing for you now - use an email app on your PB exactly like you`re using the email app on your BB phone.
    Last edited by omniusovermind; 01-18-12 at 09:08 AM.
    01-18-12 09:02 AM
    Thanks for all the replies guys. Not as biased as I was expecting!

I am able to trade in my Galaxy S2 and it will pay off the rest of my contract that I bought myself out of. I now have the BB Torch 9860 on a new contract and so far I can do everything I want to that I could on my Galaxy with the exception of a good soccer score update app.

Hoping with OS2 and the touchscreen it will open up even more possibilities.

I have downloaded Splashtop, thinking tower upstairs, accessed by splashtop on my PB hooked up to the TV via HDMI and controlled by my Torch. The possibilities are endless!

Thanks agian.
    congratulations on your new BB phone! I would recommend giving Score Mobile FC a try if your still looking for a good soccer app. The us version (Score Mobile) is pretty good.
    01-18-12 09:28 AM
    I'm getting from this that you don't use web based email services, where you could access this stuff from either device anyway come OS2? You're using POP3 or something like that? What I mean by that is that, for example, If I want to access the email from my ISP, I can either a) login to my ISP's mail website rogers.yahoo.com, or b) set up Outlook on my PC to download my email using POP3. So you're looking to use method b, but as it applies to an app on your phone?

Because come OS2, you`ll be able to do exactly what bridging is doing for you now - use an email app on your PB exactly like you`re using the email app on your BB phone.
    I have a BES enabled BlackBerry running with an Exchange email
    and I have a BIS enabled BlackBerry with Paid Google Apps, Hotmail, Yahoo, Free gMail, and a 3rd party private Server.

My tablet will not have Native email set up, as it becomes a VERY expensive liability to me without having the ability to lock and remote wipe on the device. Bridge is the perfect way to get email on the tablet, from both of my BlackBerry's as needed. and the ability to send to PlayBook is ideal especially when links are sent inside an email as I can send the link to the PlayBook but continue getting through my emails, once done I can pick up the link and go, other advantages of the push from the BlackBerry will be controlling a powerpoint presentation using my BlackBerry Bridged to the Playbook connected to the screen. I don't need physical access to my PlayBook to push the next bit of content to the screen,

Bridge brings functionality to the PlayBook that can't be had other ways.
    01-18-12 10:24 AM
    I have a BES enabled BlackBerry running with an Exchange email
    and I have a BIS enabled BlackBerry with Paid Google Apps, Hotmail, Yahoo, Free gMail, and a 3rd party private Server.

My tablet will not have Native email set up, as it becomes a VERY expensive liability to me without having the ability to lock and remote wipe on the device. Bridge is the perfect way to get email on the tablet, from both of my BlackBerry's as needed. and the ability to send to PlayBook is ideal especially when links are sent inside an email as I can send the link to the PlayBook but continue getting through my emails, once done I can pick up the link and go, other advantages of the push from the BlackBerry will be controlling a powerpoint presentation using my BlackBerry Bridged to the Playbook connected to the screen. I don't need physical access to my PlayBook to push the next bit of content to the screen,

Bridge brings functionality to the PlayBook that can't be had other ways.
    I didn't realize you had such a complex private business oriented setup going I can definitely see why bridging would be important in your case
    01-18-12 10:29 AM
    I went from a Samsung Moment to a BB 9850 (a week or so ago) I couldn't be happier. I had considered the GS2, but I really only use my phone for TuneIn Radio, text message, and phone calls (this is why i never upgraded, plus i wanted something with a qwerty keyboard (I sacrificed that). I'm on Sprint, so the bridge connection, giving my Playbook internet anywhere without a fee is the major plus of switching. I would recommend it if you are on Sprint, and your primary phone use is like mine.
    01-18-12 10:41 AM
    Sorry but a Galaxy S2 to ANY BB is a definite DOWNGRADE in anything other than funcitonality with a Playbook, which really should not be a criteria for choosing a phone, especially as the upcoming OS2.0 update will give the Playbook all of the features it should have shipped with a year ago that do not require a BB device.

The S2 was by far the best phone I ever owned... the screen is still (barring resolution) the best on the market, the Exynos chipset is blazing fast and can pump out high (and I mean high, 30m/s+) bitrate 1080p media to a Plasma without breaking a sweat, the camera is sublime and still regarded as one of the best on any phone, and it will recieve an upgrade to Ice Cream very soon that will still make it competitive against the very latest smartphones. The overall experience, including Android and the choice of apps available, is in my opinion superior to that of BB (which I have a lot of experience with as I control the mobility for my company and we are heavy BB users). The hardware is dfinitely still better than anything BB can offer.

If you come to a BB forum expecting an objective opinion on whether you should buy a BB or not then you really need a short sharp slap in the mush and an injeciton of common sense to the eyeball.

Joking aside, there really is nothing besides niche functionality to gain by swapping your S2 to a BB, especially if you have already invested in the Android ecosystem and purchased apps etc. if you had said a lesser phone as the one you wanted to upgrade then I would agree with those above me, but the S2 still really has few competitors in this world... regardless of OS/platform.
    Hi! Is the Samgung G S2 able to provide infrastructure wifi?
    01-19-12 07:44 AM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD