View Poll Results: Do you mind when games have ads?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • I don't like ads. I'd rather pay for a game.

26 52.00%
  • I don't mind ads but when there are too many it's annoying.

18 36.00%
  • I looooooove ads.

1 2.00%
  • I don't play games.

2 4.00%
  • I hate you.

3 6.00%
    I'm just wondering what people think of game ads in free games. Actually in any app - but I'm developing a game so that's my main focus. For me, I honestly hate ads. I realize devs need to make $$ somehow but if a game is worth playing I'd rather pay a couple dollars than have ads. Especially when the ads are in your face all the time.

I'm not sure if I can post polls, being new here and all, but I'm going to try. Do you mind ads? Would you rather pay than play a free game with ads? Doesn't matter either way?

Edit: Sorry I posted this in the wrong thread, I was going to put it in apps & games...
    Last edited by MasterOfBinary; 05-27-12 at 03:54 PM.
    05-27-12 03:37 PM
    I hate ads in apps or games

But you can be creative with it. Put it in the game and let me blow it up real good
    05-27-12 04:11 PM
    I don't like ads in the app itself but like on CrackBerry there is an ad bar on the posts which I usually ignore. Ads wouldn't be so bad if they related to PlayBook or whatever device one was using. I know that is pretty much impossible but would be nice.
    05-27-12 04:24 PM
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm not actually surprised.
    05-27-12 04:31 PM
    I believe this practice originates largely from Android. There it is ridiculously easy to pirate apps (with a rooted device, you can install an app, copy the APK off the device, then get a refund for the app and reinstall from the APK. Or you can just find the APK online, no root required or any other hack at all). So what would have been paid apps became free apps with ads, because releasing a paid app just led to piracy and no revenue for developers. I guess this transfered across.
    05-27-12 04:31 PM
    I think you should ask the people of platforms that do have ads in them.

Myself I'd rather pay a little to be added free. I don't know how many people the ads work on as I ignore them anywhere they are.
    05-27-12 05:12 PM
    i dont mind an add,but when ther constantly in my face i delete the game
    05-27-12 05:15 PM
    I have tried apps with ads and then paid for the ad free version if I liked it.
    05-27-12 05:19 PM
    I would and do pay extra to be add free, I don't like distractions, but in some cases its unavoidable, like here on Crackberry
    05-27-12 05:52 PM
    Yep do a trial with some ads and if it's good people will pay for ad free version
    Harryl6134 likes this.
    05-27-12 05:56 PM
    I would rather pay for the game,
    Or have in game purchases to add value to the game.

Say you were making a Racing game like Need4Speed.
    I would want the game free, and wouldn't mind Ads in game that go with the game, like an Ad for Tires, or a Race where you collect tasteful ad placements.

and I'd appreciate being able to buy in game features with real money, maybe I want to get that Engine upgrade NOW and don't want to wait till I've earned enough in game money, let me buy in game money! or let me buy exclusive for purchase items in addition to the in game rewards.

there are creative ways to put ads in the game without making them intrusive, and there are ways to make games more fun with in game purchasing, as long as you don't require in game purchasing to be able to win the game.
    05-27-12 05:59 PM
    I looooooove adds!
    05-27-12 06:08 PM
    I dont mind ads as long as there's a reasonable amount and if I really like the game I will buy it.
    05-27-12 06:34 PM
    Acceptable on a free or trial game/app only.
    Not acceptable on paid games/apps.
    05-27-12 06:46 PM
    and I'd appreciate being able to buy in game features with real money, maybe I want to get that Engine upgrade NOW and don't want to wait till I've earned enough in game money, let me buy in game money! or let me buy exclusive for purchase items in addition to the in game rewards.

there are creative ways to put ads in the game without making them intrusive, and there are ways to make games more fun with in game purchasing, as long as you don't require in game purchasing to be able to win the game.
    Although I rarely pay for in-game stuff, I feel the same way. I had a game where I basically hit a dead end that I couldn't get past without paying, and I just dumped the game. But I know that there are some people that would spend money without even thinking.
    05-27-12 06:47 PM
    I totally detest ads.. I'll buy a game first... I even hate ads on the TV.

I remember when cable was being introduced... they toted that it would be ad free and you would be able to see TV channels from around the world!! ... yeah, right.. LOL Now there are more ads that actual TV show content..
    05-27-12 06:53 PM
    Although I rarely pay for in-game stuff, I feel the same way. I had a game where I basically hit a dead end that I couldn't get past without paying, and I just dumped the game. But I know that there are some people that would spend money without even thinking.

I played Travian which is a web based game years ago, and never put in a dollar, then last year I decided to pick it up again, since I could play it from my Playbook, but I'm far more busy now, so I spent 60 bucks on day 1 to get in game stuff so I didn't have to worry about putting in the early game time.

Now that I have more money, and less time, I spend the money to save the time but still get the enjoyment,
    build a game that is fun with or without paying, but make paying easy without compromising the game fun, and people like me will pay
    MasterOfBinary likes this.
    05-27-12 07:35 PM

I remember when cable was being introduced... they toted that it would be ad free and you would be able to see TV channels from around the world!! ... yeah, right.. LOL Now there are more ads that actual TV show content..
    DVR... The best (whatever it cost) I ever spent. I can't remember the last time I watch a commercial. Some hour long shows are only 38 minutes of content.
    05-27-12 07:39 PM
    Ads don't really bother me unless they are placed where they are easily opened while playing. Like most others have stated I normally pay for the ad free if I like the game though.
    05-27-12 07:56 PM
    I looooooove adds!
    You should download the free version of Hambo, I think you'd enjoy it.
    05-28-12 12:24 AM
    Ads don't really bother me unless they are placed where they are easily opened while playing. Like most others have stated I normally pay for the ad free if I like the game though.
    That seems to be the general consensus... thanks guys, you're awesome!
    05-28-12 12:26 AM
    That's the problem with PB, since it's only model is still WiFi only.
    In Android, most apps are free (like Angry Birds) but they put ads on it.
    And they have raise the bar since some apps/games also require u to be connected to WiFi/3G in order to open that apps/games.
    It's a new term of "Freemium" apps. Whether there are ads in it, or have specific item-mall that u can buy with real money.
    05-28-12 04:40 AM
    IMHO, the best way is to have in-app purchase instead of ads
    or make Lite version

in app purchase is harder to hack, but I have seen some famous games in Android is slighly modified to make all the in-app purchase priced at 0 gold or have initial gold at 999999999

--BB 9700 using Crackberry Apps
    05-28-12 08:04 AM
    As a developer myself, I wholly stand behind the free trial method. My own apps work for 7 days after install as a full-featured trial and then require the app to be purchased for continued use. I like to give people the chance to decide if my app is what they require before they spend any money.

The above method would also work by providing an ad free paid version plus a free version with ads. You could even code one version and use device or blackberry id specific keys to unlock the ad free version.

Russ.
    Last edited by russnash; 05-28-12 at 08:36 AM.
    05-28-12 08:06 AM
    I'm kind of leaning toward having a smaller (free) version and having more levels, etc. in the paid version. And I think it's just nicer to have the free version ad-free.
    05-28-12 09:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD