There seems to be a problem with my Playbook. It's taken quite a while to fully diagnose but I've finally proved it's regarding its DNS resolution while on wireless, and I think it's just on the wifi at work.

On opening the browser all works and finds webpages fine, then a few minutes later it ceases to find pages, the blue progress bar moves about a third then stops.If I put in a websites IP address it works as intended.

If I tether it to my Nokia N8 via bluetooth over O2's 3g it works fine.

I have wiped the wifi router at work, reconfigured it, set all of the varying security options to test from open to mixed WPA-PSK+WPA2-PSK etc with no improvement.

So for some reason DNS over wifi is getting disrupted. Is there anyway to reset and re bind it?

In my tracking down so far I've

reset the router
    wiped the router
    reconfigured the router
    attempted varying wifi security levels
    cleared the browser cache etc
    turned off various options in the browser and re enabled them
    deleted the wifi pairing (several times) and re-paired
    put fixed ip and dns settings into the playbook, including trying googles 8.8.8.8
    gone back to dhcp and dns resolved by our corporate servers.

established that no other device or user is having this issue from this wifi access point.

At the moment I've doing a full back up of the playbook so I can do a wipe/restore, but if possible I'd prefer not to

Any ideas guys? Any pointers re the wipe / restore?
    Last edited by slparry; 02-05-13 at 10:26 AM.
    02-05-13 07:52 AM
    Interesting take on why the native browswer hangs. Ths only happens to me with a slow internet connection typical of a "Lite" high-speed internet plan or in areas with a weak signal and thus lower transfer speeds.

I never thought of putting in the IP instead of the DNS name for these slower connections. Will try it out and see if it resolves "hang" at one third of the blue bar when on slower WiFi internet connection speeds.

[EDIT]

Yes, I definitely got a performance improvement going the IP route rather than the DNS on my high-speed lite at home. There are some page rendering issues going this route though. Everything is there but the format is strung out top-down as if the page loading had been interrupted.

The example I used was going to http://www.thewhig.com. That website is frustrating and difficult to load on a slow internet connection. The IP revealed on a lookup is 216.113.74.55. This defaults to the larger QMI IP which hosts dozens of newspapers. A click on the link to the Kingston Whig Standard yields the following which loads but formats differently:

http://216.113.74.55/dispatcher/fwd/www.thewhig.com/

Maybe this is an area where BlackBerry can look at in the design of the native browser.
    Last edited by Enyigma; 02-05-13 at 09:43 AM.
    02-05-13 09:07 AM
    I've performed the factory wipe and I was surprised at having to re download OS .1314

It's not looking hopeful as I've had to pause and restart the download a few time already, I suspect it's doing the same things even after a wipe
    02-05-13 09:28 AM
    right guys .... I've resolved it

I'm the IT Manager here and it's been an uphill struggle because the network was seemingly held together with bits of string and sticky tape

My predecessor .... grrrrrr ...... was absolutely clueless and had enabled DHCP on the subnet while also installing all sorts of devices willy nilly with fixed IP's and not setting any reservations. As a result it took me a while to track down why occasionally some webservices would die, ones that had a history of dying and were usually "fixed" by rebooting the relevant server. Of course I discovered that it was because occasionally DHCP would issue an address that was in use by a fixed device and things would go pear shaped.

It's hideous, there's no neat sectioning of the subnet, with servers at one point, switches, printers etc at another .

Anyway long story short, all of my playbooks recent problems have been down to an IP conflict with a security camera on the other side of the building.

The grief this has caused has been enormous. I've wiped my playbook, had to reinstall all of my sideloaded apps. Faffed about trying a million things. If I ever meet my predecessor I feel a slap is worthwhile

So IF you have similar check there's no IP conflict issues first!
    dave_h_946 likes this.
    02-06-13 08:45 AM
    right guys .... I've resolved it

I'm the IT Manager here and it's been an uphill struggle because the network was seemingly held together with bits of string and sticky tape

My predecessor .... grrrrrr ...... was absolutely clueless and had enabled DHCP on the subnet while also installing all sorts of devices willy nilly with fixed IP's and not setting any reservations. As a result it took me a while to track down why occasionally some webservices would die, ones that had a history of dying and were usually "fixed" by rebooting the relevant server. Of course I discovered that it was because occasionally DHCP would issue an address that was in use by a fixed device and things would go pear shaped.

It's hideous, there's no neat sectioning of the subnet, with servers at one point, switches, printers etc at another .

Anyway long story short, all of my playbooks recent problems have been down to an IP conflict with a security camera on the other side of the building.

The grief this has caused has been enormous. I've wiped my playbook, had to reinstall all of my sideloaded apps. Faffed about trying a million things. If I ever meet my predecessor I feel a slap is worthwhile

So IF you have similar check there's no IP conflict issues first!
    Well sympathies with the whole inheriting a DHCP environment with no reservations or exclusions for devices that need, or have, (effectively) static IP addresses - but surely using it at home or on some other WiFi network would be indicative that it's not a problem with the PlayBook itself, requiring all that wiping and stuff?
    02-06-13 09:08 AM
    true but it was confusing me that all other devices were working fine on the network here

I'd sort of started to think that there was a core problem with the PB in that it was retaining some settings even when I was deleting and recreating the profiles.

Things like this are so frustrating but so rewarding when resolved
    02-06-13 09:20 AM