I prefer this approach ... ask them what they want to do with their phone or tablet, give the pros and cons based upon the needs and then say, "try them for yourself and see what you like".

People just have personal preferences that asks for them to try things out themselves. Try as I might, I just can't get into Samsung Galaxy, no matter how many features it has, apps it has or how popular it is.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    05-23-13 09:46 AM
    I can understand not recommending a playbook. But the phone too? That is a disservice to all BB users. You are just helping the shorts. Tell people PB is a 2 year old device that is starting to see limited support and it makes sense to anybody not to buy it. I don't get this way of thinking anyway. Why get mad at BB like it is personal? It's business. Just get something that makes you happy. Life is to short.
    Yes the phones too. I'm the one who supports them because none of them are techy at all. Until the random rebooting is resolved I would never recommend BBRY. I don't want to hear all the complaints about how unreliable the phone is and the only answer I could offer is wait for an update, whenever that may be. If they buy it on their own, fine. But I'll still be the one hearing the biotching. At least then it isn't my fault I recommend a crazy (in their eyes) phone.
    05-23-13 09:56 AM
    I think the OP should pull their head out of their a**. im not saying you have to like the PB or recomend it, but being spitefull because you expected to have BB10 on your PB already just shows how inmature you are and shows many reasons why your not resonsible enough to even own a phone or tablet.
    05-23-13 10:00 AM
    I still recommend playbook for media consumption as iin australia you can get 64gb for under $200 sometimes. but man is it terrible at everything else until it gets bb10
    05-23-13 11:03 AM
    If you're in the uk, pcworld has the 64 GB for �99. An absolute bargain in my eyes.
    Playbook or crappy android tablet with very dodgy build quality and laggy as hell?
    I know which way I went and have no regrets.
    05-23-13 11:06 AM
    Try as I might, I just can't get into Samsung Galaxy, no matter how many features it has, apps it has or how popular it is.
    I have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus smartphone. I bought straight from Google because I wanted an unlocked smartphone and it was $300 cheaper than an unlocked iPhone.

I've had it for about a year now and it's been excellent, overall. It's a well-designed device and looks great, but Samsung's trademark is cheap plastic and the Galaxy Nexus is no exception. The finish is wearing off the power button and I can see signs of wear around the edges, especially near the charging port.

I got an Otterbox case for it, but stopped using it after a while because it made the phone look and feel bulky and cheap.

I'm not sure what my next smartphone will be, but I will look at several other options before considering a Samsung phone again. They just don't seem built to last.

My PlayBook is clearly a better-constructed, higher-quality device. It makes me want to look at BlackBerry phones when the time comes for me to upgrade.
    05-23-13 12:12 PM
    I take the same approach. Depending on what a person wants to get out of their technology, I'll recommend different devices. Brand loyalty, to me, is foolish. Why restrict yourself to a very limited selection of technology when there is so much out there to choose from?
    for me, Dallin, its all about how our micro decisions indicate what we will accept in the macro. I don't believe in walled gardens(Apple), and I don't believe in data mines disguised as free markets(Google). As for Microsoft, Bill Gates owns a lot of shares in a company who's exploitation of genetic drift is destroying my country's farmers.

A walled garden is just a tyranny, being constantly data-raped and having your privacy constantly invaded is a deplorable condition to live in, and I like un-genetically modified foods and farmers.

Whether you all want to believe it or not, accepting these principles on a small scale is a good indicator you will accept them on much larger scales (though the Microsoft one is already large scale.)
    Last edited by ThaSwapMeetPimp; 05-23-13 at 03:23 PM.
    05-23-13 03:13 PM
    I, for one, am disgusted by the OP's approach. If you don't like a product - fine. But the OP's premise is infantile. I have a PB which Iove and I have a Q10 - which I also love. By the same token, while I would like BB10 on the PB, the tablet is 2 years old now. I wouldn't be saying to anyone "Don't buy a BB 'cause they haven't put BB10 on my tablet!". What on earth do you think you're proving? I know what it says to me ... and it isn't pretty!
    05-23-13 03:23 PM
    Well for me the playbook has zero issues honestly. What I used it for is YouTube music and Web browser and for everything there it is perfect. Yes we suffer from apps but the playbook was blackberry first real go into the tablet market anf they didn't break into the market and they failed however we cannotwrite the playbook off for two year old tech it still works like a mid range tablet speed is great and a lotbetter then the resr of the tablets out there
    05-23-13 03:35 PM
    Someone interested in getting a tablet saw my PB today and asked about it. I told him what made it awesome and then promptly discouraged him from buying anything BlackBerry, because they seem to have no interest in even talking about the PB anymore.

That makes two. First my sister, now some random stranger. Will update every time I discourage another potential BB owner. See how many people in the market one unhappy PB owner can reach. I'm not gonna seek out people, just see how many random people who ask about my tablet I can discourage until BB10 makes it to PB.

So you are at the Campus bar hoping to meet someone by pulling out your playbook ... my hint of the day is to take off your pocket protector and the BB holster for your BB Torch and bring a cool new MS Surface next time and ask some chick or guy ( depending) for help uploading to Tumblr.
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    05-23-13 03:39 PM
    I'm not sure I could recommend a PlayBook at this time despite the cheap prices unless the person was just interested in a web browsing tablet (not sure what problem people have with the browser, it's just fine for me). I also use it to play a few miscellaneous games including ported Words with Friends. I got an email from Groupon that was selling them for cheap so there are still a bunch out there still in the box.

However the Z10 is a whole different story. I talk about its virtues with anyone who will listen, despite the slow OS updates. I like it more and more each day.
    05-23-13 03:45 PM
    I will discourage people from buying ipads until the ipad receives bb 10 update.

Posted with my Q10
    sklotz2000, eldricho and habicht like this.
    I can understand not recommending a playbook. But the phone too? That is a disservice to all BB users. You are just helping the shorts. Tell people PB is a 2 year old device that is starting to see limited support and it makes sense to anybody not to buy it. I don't get this way of thinking anyway. Why get mad at BB like it is personal? It's business. Just get something that makes you happy. Life is to short.
    You think I'm doing them a disservice? What about the service rendered? When RIM was struggling, working on BB10, share prices so low that it really looked like it was the end for them, I made myself an advocate for BlackBerry. I'm the guy who laughed at Apple users for not having a tablet with a common sense design (I mean really, why is the Playbook the only tablet I have seen that has front facing stereo speakers placed where they logically should be?) and a clunky home button with no real multitasking; also am the guy who ranked down android users for allowing Google to data-rape them in their quest to encompass all human thought within 15 years through their search browser. When people would talk about upgrading phones, I told them to hold off; BlackBerry was coming out with something awesome and new, and if they were talking tablets, I would advocate getting a Playbook, even though it runs on an inefficient AIR OS, because it's supposed to get BB10, which should fix a bunch of issues hopefully, along with unlocking some of the native features that the PB is capable of.

If BB doesn't bring the BB10 to PB, then that makes me a liar. Anyone who purchased based on my advocacy, will feel like I lied to them. I am an extremely honest person, to the point that it causes problems in my actual life because I am super blunt and tell people what is on my mind. I don't like being made into a liar.

In a nutshell, I advertised for them when they were really struggling. Now they seem to be leaving me out in the cold. You think I'm not going to start discouraging people? I'm an honest person, if asked about something Im not going to lie I'm going to say how I feel. And right now I feel that putting any trust into the one company andmobile ecosystem I was OK with would be a mistake.

Remember, I'm not seeking anyone out, but when asked I will discourage away.
    I think the OP should pull their head out of their a**. im not saying you have to like the PB or recomend it, but being spitefull because you expected to have BB10 on your PB already just shows how inmature you are and shows many reasons why your not resonsible enough to even own a phone or tablet.
    I just want some word other than Thor saying they've talked enough about the Playbook.....which is pretty dismissive and makes it sound an awful lot like they are going to abandon it. Give me some kind of status update, show some screenshots or something. Then I will advocate for them again. Until then they have treated me and other PB users like we don't matter. Well, we do. We are walking ads for or against BB, our opinions affect other consumers, and we are all within our rights as unhappy consumers to discourage people from supporting those who seem to have abandoned us.

Maybe you should pull your lips of BB's d***.
    blueberrymerry likes this.
    05-23-13 03:52 PM
    for me, Dallin, its all about how our micro decisions indicate what we will accept in the macro. I don't believe in walled gardens(Apple), and I don't believe in data mines disguised as free markets(Google). As for Microsoft, Bill Gates owns a lot of shares in a company who's exploitation of genetic drift is destroying my country's farmers.

A walled garden is just a tyranny, being constantly data-raped and having your privacy constantly invaded is a deplorable condition to live in, and I like un-genetically modified foods and farmers.

Whether you all want to believe it or not, accepting these principles on a small scale is a good indicator you will accept them on much larger scales (though the Microsoft one is already large scale.)
    I understand your reasoning for not wanting to support Apple, Google, or Microsoft. Believe me, I do. But using their products doesn't mean you explicitly support their dreadful deeds. That's like saying residing in the U.S. indicates explicit support for its government's foreign policy.

If I were to completely refrain from using their products, I wouldn't be able to provide for my family.

And let's not overlook the fact that a lot of good is done in the world by individuals and groups who use their technologies, as well.
    MasterOfBinary likes this.
    05-23-13 04:32 PM
    So you are at the Campus bar hoping to meet someone by pulling out your playbook ... my hint of the day is to take off your pocket protector and the BB holster for your BB Torch and bring a cool new MS Surface next time and ask some chick or guy ( depending) for help uploading to Tumblr.
    This induced my second laugh out loud moment today! Thank you!
    05-23-13 04:35 PM
    I'm not sure I could recommend a PlayBook at this time despite the cheap prices unless the person was just interested in a web browsing tablet (not sure what problem people have with the browser, it's just fine for me). I also use it to play a few miscellaneous games including ported Words with Friends. I got an email from Groupon that was selling them for cheap so there are still a bunch out there still in the box.
    Heh - I use PlayBook all the time. I email, I browse, I watch movies, I stream news content, I view office files, it's an alarm clock, it's a games console, a music player, I check the weather, tweet, listen to the radio, read the news, find nearby movies, look at recipes to cook, read books, read graphic novels, edit photos, video chat ...

I'd consider it pretty useful for a �99 tablet that had 64 GB of storage myself
    CerveloJohn and sklotz2000 like this.
    05-23-13 04:38 PM
    Umm...no....what is Tumblr anyways? Pocket protector? Who writes things these days? And I went from a Curve to a Bold, never had a Torch...and who has money for another tablet? I don't want to meet anyone I have a gf....

Gotta love ruining jokes by acting like it's serious lol
    05-23-13 04:42 PM
    Well i still recommend PB, in fact did a demo today, result three more PB users. They are already OS7 users so no problems with bridge. Difficulty at the moment is getting hold of them. Seem to be in very short supply.
    End if the day it all boils down to what you want to use it for. Me personally, still use the device albeit not as much as when didn't have the Z10 but it still gets used. Even picked up one of the rapid chargers the other day for 14. Yes I do mention it's a big unknown with regards updates but at the price I think you would be hard pressed to find anything that came close. So the more BlackBerry users the better in my opinion

Posted from my Z10 with CB10
    sklotz2000 likes this.
    05-23-13 04:48 PM
    I understand your reasoning for not wanting to support Apple, Google, or Microsoft. Believe me, I do. But using their products doesn't mean you explicitly support their dreadful deeds. That's like saying residing in the U.S. indicates explicit support for its government's foreign policy.

If I were to completely refrain from using their products, I wouldn't be able to provide for my family.

And let's not overlook the fact that a lot of good is done in the world by individuals and groups who use their technologies, as well.
    No but paying for their products does directly support them, Dallin. I don't buy Pepsi because of how dominant they are/were in the economy of Myanmar, but I drink itwhen it's free, because it is subverting them. They want me to pay, I find a way to use their product without paying. Same with Windows. I have never bought a Windows OS. Bought games, but never an OS. Not because of any principles at first, at first it was because I have lived a life of poverty and could never justify the cost of anything that was more than like 100 bucks for anything in my youth (seriously, my first car was 75 bucks, my second 7 or so years later (not my youth) I only spent 200 bucks on (and that was an old Mercedes, pretty good deal), I live cheap). And I'm not some old dude who lived when everything was super cheap. I'm a kid of the 80's and 90's. But now, with Bill Gates actively supporting Monsanto and propagating the overpopulation myth (do the math, you can fit every human on the planet right now in an area the size and shape of Texas with 1118.61 sq. ft. per person (not saying this is an ideal way to live, but it's true); also, scientists have been warning that we are not going to have high enough birth rates in the next hundred years to even replace the humans that are here if lowered birth rate trends in developing and developed countries continue the way they are, within a few centuries we could fit the whole race within a single senior citizens center; what a great future we are blindly walking into eh?) I will never purchase a Microsoft product again, unless there is a fundamental change in Gates supposed altruism. But I still use the copy of Windows XP that I have never paid for(when I use a computer for anything other than storage, which is rare nowadays I use my PB for most things).

If the Devil (or whatever you believe in as pure evil, if you believe you exist in such a dichotomy) came at you with a plan to make everything great for everyone, would you believe him or would you look for his ulterior motives? If that same Devil sold a product, and buying that product, even if it could be used for good, meant supporting the ulterior motives of the vendor, would you buy it?

But if you could get away with doing good with it and not supporting the motives behind its production....that's the way I choose to live. In the past week I have been using my computer to learn to code, starting with html and css, then jQuery now I'm on Javascript. Just basic beginning courses on Codecademy. But it's a start. And I'm a quick learner. Eventually plan on learning what's needed to code for my PB, so I can make my own versions of the emulators and other apps that have had their support dropped. Maybe ones that don't run in the Android emulator so I can phase using that out. Share them with my community. Use their product to learn to do something good for my community.

And no, I do not really think drinking Pepsi for free is really doing anyone any good. Pepsi is bad for us period.
    05-23-13 05:32 PM

However the Z10 is a whole different story. I talk about its virtues with anyone who will listen, despite the slow OS updates. I like it more and more each day.
    Does words work well for you? Slow as on mine...

Posted via CB10
    05-23-13 06:48 PM
    When people ask about the PlayBook I tell them both the good and bad and leave the decision up to them.

I strive to inform, not persuade.
    This. I helped a friend buy his first smartphone. Made sure he spent time with the iPhone and a couple Android handsets plus the Z10. It came down to the iPhone vs. the Z10. He picked the Z10... the two selling points were the Facebook integration and the fantastic onscreen keyboard.

I let the Z10 sell itself.

I've recommended the PlayBook to people. Those who have picked one up have told me it's a great tablet for the price. I agree. I hope it gets updated to BB10 but even if it doesn't I will continue to use it.
    Dallin Crump likes this.
    05-23-13 07:21 PM
    I would neither encourage or discourage. I would ask the person what his/her expectation of a tablet. What do they need a tablet for. What is their budget. I would show them my playbook and let them play with it. I will be as honest as possible of what I can and cannot do with the playbook. What apps or games they most wanted. I will also inform them the might and might not happen of an update and their decision should base on without the update. As impatient as I am about the update and the possible of disappointment of without it, I'm not going to past a chance that someone might enjoy using a playbook as is.
    05-23-13 07:24 PM
    I would neither encourage or discourage. I would ask the person what his/her expectation of a tablet. What do they need a tablet for. What is their budget. I would show them my playbook and let them play with it. I will be as honest as possible of what I can and cannot do with the playbook. What apps or games they most wanted. I will also inform them the might and might not happen of an update and their decision should base on without the update. As impatient as I am about the update and the possible of disappointment of without it, I'm not going to past a chance that someone might enjoy using a playbook as is.
    Yeah I learned what happens when you let people play with it, my 16gb was stolen when I stupidly let someone play around with it, I wouldn't even have one anymore if it wasn't for the great people in this forum community. Thanks again everyone!
    05-23-13 08:25 PM
    Yeah I learned what happens when you let people play with it, my 16gb was stolen when I stupidly let someone play around with it, I wouldn't even have one anymore if it wasn't for the great people in this forum community. Thanks again everyone!
    So, do you possibly have another PB that "I" could play around with?
    05-23-13 08:41 PM
84 1234