I just glad that bozo kept quiet!

No interviews claiming 60 days.
    No interviews of leap frogging.

Refreshing!!!

Galaway was good, Alec was good... CES Video that RIM did was very professional and informative.

I'll give them credit also for NOT showing a BB10 phone, until its ready no point in killing potential OS 7.1 devices. Good move.

Overrall 7/10.

3 Points lost due to:
    Bb10 not being ready
    OS 2.0 still lacking information, complete list of changes, can you take a photo and email it? Simple protuctivity improvments.
    Video Store is US only, no word on Australia.
    No 10 inch Playbook.
    No navigation.
    No partner for Voip (skype)
    No Sms from PlayBook
    No FaceBook on intergrated inbox (yet)
    Still no way of printing (on paper Rim!)
    I don't know why people keep complaining about the US only video store. A video store isn't like an app. You have to get approvals for each country. Look at dvds they had regions. This isn't something rim did to people off. I live in Canads so I'm use to it and i wasn't surprised when it was said thsat it would be US only at first. If it takes off they will open up every area they can.

10" Playbook would be good as an option for some but i think that a 10" tablet is too big in a lot of cases. And its too early to make on i think.

They are getting better reviews now. Let OS 2.0 release on time, let it get some great reviews on the final release and then let them see increased sales. Also so developers coming on board making apps for the Playbook. Until then it would seem crazy to put out a second size Playbook. Size isn't what is hurting sales imo.

For now Skype means nothing to me so i shouldn't say much about it but I didn't see them talk about any product by any company other then their own. They still have 2-6 weeks for that stuff. Why rush into talk about that when you are trying to showcase what you just built for your own product. Skype could make people lose focus on the other features.

I think they did it right. If there are any big products coming up they can start name dropping on the way to the release date of 2.0 to keep Blackberry and the Playbook in the news.

James
    peter9477 and blue-b like this.
    01-14-12 09:07 AM
    I don't know why people keep complaining about the US only video store. A video store isn't like an app. You have to get approvals for each country.
    exactly, look at the netflix launch in the UK, not a huge amount of content (and a higher price than ther competitor lol), as they still workin the licenses for some of it. yet most people on here bang on about netflix like its the best thing ever lol.

content stuff is subject to licenses, so its always something to bear in mind, of course RIM have (i would assume) been workin on international licenses, but much like everything else, these take time.
    01-14-12 09:17 AM
    Sounds like someone is insecure about their device.

Sent from my IPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    sounds like someone needs to look up the word sarcasm.
    01-14-12 05:13 PM
    quote myself again 'generally'. but my point was that bb users tend to be apple haters more so than the other way round. i used to love my bb but i find the os and functionality outdated compared to my iphone.

apologies that was off topic so back on topic i wasnt impressed with the pb at ces 2012, nothing we hadnt seen or been promissed before, lets see if rim can deliver on time this time. hope they realise its mid jan already and there are only 24 hours in a day.
    Actually that's not true. While they did previously show "native email" previously it was nowhere near the same as was was shown at CES with the unified inbox, contacts and calendar connections to social networks, or the enhanced bridge app with remote control (incliuding bezel swipe), , presenter mode, Open on Playbook, Print to Go, Videochat with presence detection, not to mention the automotive capabilities to the extent shown at CES. Funny ro say "nothing new at CES from RIM" when if this is old hat then why are none of these features (except maybe print to go) on any other tablet?

If I have heard correctly from other sources is that the native email demoed at CES is a completely new program. I believe the earlier version was written as a Java app and was scrapped as Java was not to be included in OS 2. As a result the new version it would have been written from the ground up and now includes ActiveSync technologies along with an extra layer of security which is one of their many strengths.
    01-14-12 05:59 PM
    Hello all, let's see ... I've read some people that are ex RIM user/s now converted to Android/iOS/Win ... for all of you out there to whatever you had pick & like it, kudos for you all, after all it's an Open Market and every person is different, that's what make each one of us 'unique'.

I myself used to use NK/Symbian, SE, RIM, Brue, Win. CE, iOS on 3G/3GS, and I switched back to RIM and I'm also using Samsung Admire w/ Android v2.3 and have pre-order placed for Asus TF201. Btw, I bought the iphone 3G because during that time there wasn't much of a good selection for a touchscreen phone & I was already w/ AT&T, but I have switched all those.

I just like to try & play around w/ new device/OS and would like to see what BB10 will be, also like any new OS, there will always some kind of enhancements, bugs then the company just use the term of so called an 'upgrade' software release. I don't really mind, as long as the OS won't crash every month or too often.

I switched back to BB, well it's pretty a simple decision, about a total 70% of my friends in US, asia, Ausie, Europe & some in Toronto still using BBM & Groups. It's just much easier & faster for us to keep communicate with and one of the reasons I like about BBM, is that we can sends/receives files up to 6 MB, like; photos, MP3s, videos, Docs., etc. plus in a secure way, which is not too important for me regarding the 'secure' feature, but it's already provided by RIM when you use the BBM, so I guess, it's a good feature whether I care or not.

As for PlayBook, like others has already mentioned, the PB's OS is still in version 2.0 [coming soon], as for Android is already v4.0 ICS and iOS v5.0. So, I don't mind waiting nor regret bought & using the PB. I like the PB because of the hardware specs, whenever I want to buy a new toy [technology] I always look for the spec of the hardware, which OS and apps can be develop by RIM & other developers also it will just get keep evolving.

The so called Eco System environment, again to me that's just 'preferences'. No, I don't really care or need 20 gazillions apps from one Eco System, that's just part of the marketing boost/hype.

I have the 3rd gen ipod touch, which most of the time I left it in my glove box in the car for my MP3 player & I sold the 1st gen ipad to bought the ipad 2, but again I sold the ipad 2 for an exchange so I can buy the Asus Prime TF201 [yes, Asus will come out w/ TF700 ... blah blah]. The ipad didn't really thrill me that much, hence it's only an ipod touch in a XXL size, but lack of HiDef capability. No, I don't make an HD such a big of a deal, but with the trends heading to HD and it's becoming common, so yes I like HD do-hickky & I can just plug an HDMI to my LCD TVs/projector and my current laptops also already have an HDMI equipped. It's a toy/entertainment & of course it's capable for some business uses & presentation, too.

This is the only thing I dislike about RIM's new handset, the battery!! RIM, if you happen to read this, use a Lithium Polymer & with at least 1,500 mAh or higher. Come on, you guys putting; a 16 mil display, touchscreen, 1 or 1.2 ghz, 3G and 4G LTE soon [which is network dependent & if the signal is bad from the carrier, it will even drain the battery much quicker]. I loved using the Bold 9780/Onyx II, that phone came with a perfect battery, it had the Lithium Polymer. RIM, do stop putting/using those cheap & lousy Lithium Ion batteries.

That is all guys & just have fun & try to enjoy your life to the fullest as possible with anything you have & buy/use whatever you want, just don't be so fanatic w/ things, especially with only such contraption. The benefit mostly is to the company that you praised and I don't think that's healthy.

Cheers Ya'll
    Last edited by B_Berry; 01-14-12 at 09:26 PM.
    01-14-12 07:11 PM
    Hello all, let's see ... I've read some people that are ex RIM user/s now converted to Android/iOS/Win ... for all of you out there to whatever you had pick & like it, kudos for you all, after all it's an Open Market and every person is different, that's what make each one of us 'unique'.

I myself used to use NK/Symbian, SE, RIM, Brue, Win. CE, iOS on 3G/3GS, and I switched back to RIM and I'm also using Samsung Admire w/ Android v2.3 and have pre-order placed for Asus TF201. Btw, I bought the iphone 3G because during that time there wasn't much of a good selection for a touchscreen phone & I was already w/ AT&T, but I have switched all those.

I just like to try & play around w/ new device/OS and would like to see what BB10 will be, also like any new OS, there will always some kind of enhancements, bugs then the company just use the term of so called an 'upgrade' software release. I don't really mind, as long as the OS won't crash every month or too often.

I switched back to BB, well it's pretty a simple decision, about a total 70% of my friends in US, asia, Ausie, Europe & some in Toronto still using BBM & Groups. It's just much easier & faster for us to keep communicate with and one of the reasons I like about BBM, is that we can sends/receives files up to 6 MB, like; photos, MP3s, videos, Docs., etc. plus in a secure way, which is not too important for me regarding the 'secure' feature, but it's already provided by RIM when you use the BBM, so I guess, it's a good feature whether I care or not.

As for PlayBook, like others has already mentioned, the PB's OS is still in version 2.0 [coming soon], as for Android is already v4.0 ICS and iOS v5.0. So, I don't mind waiting nor regret bought & using the PB. I like the PB because of the hardware specs, whenever I want to buy a new toy [technology] I always look for the spec of the hardware, which OS and apps can be develop by RIM & other developers also it will just get keep evolving.

The so called Eco System environment, again to me that's just 'preferences'. No, I don't really care or need 20 gazillions apps from one Eco System, that's just part of the marketing boost/hype.

I have the 3rd gen ipod touch, which most of the time I left it in my glove box in the car for my MP3 player & I sold the 1st gen ipad to bought the ipad 2, but again I sold the ipad 2 for an exchange so I can buy the Asus Prime TF201 [yes, Asus will come out w/ TF700 ... blah blah]. The ipad didn't really thrill me that much, hence it's only an ipod touch in a XXL size, but lack of HiDef capability. No, I don't make an HD such a big of a deal, but with the trends heading to HD and it's becoming common, so yes I like HD do-hickky & I can just plug an HDMI to my LCD TVs/projector and my current laptops also already have an HDMI equipped. It's a toy/entertainment & of course it's capable for some business uses & presentation, too.

This is the only thing I dislike about RIM's new handset, the battery!! RIM, if you happen to read this, use a Lithium Polymer & with at least 1,500 mAh or higher. Come on, you guys putting; a 16 mil display, touchscreen, 1 or 1.2 ghz, 3G and 4G LTE soon [which is network dependent & if the signal is bad from the carrier, it will even drain the battery much quicker]. I loved using the Bold 9780/Onyx II, that phone came with a perfect battery, it had the Lithium Polymer. RIM, do stop putting/using those cheap & lousy Lithium Ion batteries.

That is all guys & just have fun & try to enjoy your life to the fullest as possible with anything you have & a buy/use whatever you want, just don't be to fanatic w/ things, especially with only such contraption. The benefit mostly is to the company that you praised and I don't think that's healthy.

Cheers Ya'll
    completely off topic!

unified inbox has been availabe on modern blackberries and since ios4, its not a new feature and something one expects from an inbox / email client. tbh do i want my fb, twitter, personal mail and business email all together, no. plus the inbox misses the basic bes functionality so you still have to use the bridge for bb. whether the other features are more useful than airplane mode will be seen in due course.

from crackberry, especially kevins videos. i would have like to seen more questioning around some of the missing features and our wants and needs. but seems they are sleeping together and all i saw was 'wow ans inbox, cool a remote control' lol
    01-14-12 09:30 PM
    completely off topic!

unified inbox has been availabe on modern blackberries and since ios4, its not a new feature and something one expects from an inbox / email client. tbh do i want my fb, twitter, personal mail and business email all together, no. plus the inbox misses the basic bes functionality so you still have to use the bridge for bb. whether the other features are more useful than airplane mode will be seen in due course.

from crackberry, especially kevins videos. i would have like to seen more questioning around some of the missing features and our wants and needs. but seems they are sleeping together and all i saw was 'wow ans inbox, cool a remote control' lol
    If you can't see anything new in any/all of the video reviews then you either weren't paying attention, ignored what was said, are just interested in being negative or haven't yet seen all of them. I choose to believe that you probably just haven't seen all of them, but then that's just me. However suggesting that CB Kevin "is probably sleeping with them" was uncalled for just because he's not the crack reporter you are. Maybe you didn't notice but RIM staff very much controlled the demos and did not let anyone have a free hand at the devices. Likely because they were not demoing release builds of OS2. The last thing they would need is someone exposing a serious bug on an incomplete build or access something that may be a future feature and not be in the release version

Let's have a closer look at just the new native message/calendar/contacts.

Messaging

1. Multi-tasking - multi-tasking with in the messaging app as has been demoed is unique and as far as I know isn't available on any other tablet or Smartphone not even Blackberry phones. That make this a new feature.

2. Unified Inbox - As demonstrated no other phone or tablet support this feature as demoed. In PBOS 2 it is a unified message box, not a unified notification box. Other devices recieve the notification, but in order to respond they open an external app (twitter, linked in, facebook. As demoed the OS2 implementation allows you to respond from within the messaging app or create a new direct message to the recipient via Twitter, Linked In and in the future Facebook. One of the possible reasons Facebook is not yet working is because there maybe some challenges with making it work with Facebook's messaging system which is not the same as posting to someones wall. This is likely requiring a little extra work o both sides depending on the complexity and security (snide remarks about Facebook and security aside) of the Facebook messaging. This feature would be huge for many of our management for example in spite it not being important to you. Since we are a unversity, management, staff and faculty here have many connections to people using social networking and this would make it much easier to maintain contact whatever means is used.

3. Calendar - This will be huge for many business people whether large or small business. With the new Calendar linking again to social networks to pull relevant information in about others involved in a meeting will make for much better meeting preparation in a much shorter time. The ability to easily pull up past meeting information via the People option will have past info at your finger tips even while in the current meeting. This new app will also benefit many others such as fund raisers, churches and other non profit groups, clubs and many individuals. The date numeral re-sizing in the calendar display is another great new feature as it is increased in size depending on how full a given days is. This gives you an "at a glance" view of the days of your week, month, year.

4. Contacts - As with Calendaring the social networking integration will greatly enhance the.productivity of the same groups and poeple mentioned above. Pulling in company profile information for examole would be huge for salesmen or fund raisers for example. HR department would also find this feature of great value.

So you can see that there.are many new and innovative technologies being implented in OS 2 and this is just in the PIM. Can all of these things be done using existing technologies? Of course they can but I challenge you to be able to do so with as little as a single mouse click or touch on the screen.

While you may not find these features.useful or compelling, I'm sure 10's of millions will and would give their eyenteeth for them today.
    Flexin likes this.
    01-15-12 04:12 PM
157 ... 567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD