I know I'm a little late to the party, but I was just given a PlayBook and am trying to root it. The only issue is I cannot find a good link to download dingleberry. Tons of tutorials out there just can't find the program.

If anybody knows where I could find it that would be much appreciated.
    02-26-17 12:17 PM
    Sorry to say but it won't work. Blackberry fixed that hole ages ago with an OS update. Unless you have one of the original OS versions on your Playbook (and I highly doubt it) you will NOT be able to root with Dingleberry or any other method.
    02-26-17 12:43 PM
    And I'm assuming downgrading the os won't work either?
    02-26-17 12:51 PM
    And I'm assuming downgrading the os won't work either?
    No it won't. When BB saw that there was an opening for this, they plugged it to avoid security problems.
    02-26-17 12:55 PM
    Son of a gun. So my only option is convert apk to bar files and sideload?
    02-26-17 01:04 PM
    Son of a gun. So my only option is convert apk to bar files and sideload?
    If you can find old enough apps that only require Android 2.3 and do not run native code.
    02-26-17 01:08 PM
    If you can find old enough apps that only require Android 2.3 and do not run native code.
    So you're politely saying good luck? Haha
    02-26-17 01:20 PM
    So you're politely saying good luck? Haha
    You can still find lots of old apps but it really is trial and error at this point. Just search for "older apk downloads" and look at minimum requirements for each apk. Choose the ones that run on Gingerbread 2.3.3 or less, then convert to. Bar using apk2bar.org and finally sideload to the Playbook. You can still find dropbox,box, onedrive, and various other apks that work fine. Just don't expect all the fancy features etc. Good luck--oh and somewhere here on CB there is a list of working apk converts.
    02-26-17 01:57 PM
    You can still find lots of old apps but it really is trial and error at this point. Just search for "older apk downloads" and look at minimum requirements for each apk. Choose the ones that run on Gingerbread 2.3.3 or less, then convert to. Bar using apk2bar.org and finally sideload to the Playbook. You can still find dropbox,box, onedrive, and various other apks that work fine. Just don't expect all the fancy features etc. Good luck--oh and somewhere here on CB there is a list of working apk converts.
    Excellent, I'll look around for it. Thanks to both of you for your assistance!
    02-26-17 02:22 PM
    Also, I used to use a Google Chrome extension that would let you upload an APK and it would automatically convert and load it to your playbook.

Of course, you still had to have an APK that would work with the playbook, but it's a step in the right direction.
    03-05-17 10:40 AM
    There is a BB10/playbook chrome extension that allows you to load .bar files but have never seen one that allows .apk to PB.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-17 02:24 PM
    Ah the PlayBook. Might just have to get mine out and play with it today. Wish there was a newer version of it. Sadly, there will never be.

Flicked via the BlackBerry keyboard on my PRIV.
    03-13-17 11:12 AM