I've noticed that sometimes by brightness slider is greyed out and I can adjust the screen brightness, anyone know why this is happening.
    04-18-12 11:17 AM
    Whenever i play certain games it does this, but usually comes back afterwards. I have also noticed if I plug the device in and then unplug it, it generally comes back.
    04-18-12 11:20 AM
    I've noticed that sometimes by brightness slider is greyed out and I can adjust the screen brightness, anyone know why this is happening.
    Try a reboot?
    04-18-12 11:20 AM
    This happens by design, to make sure the screen is bright enough for you to see and manipulate, when the ambient light level is quite high, like when you're outdoors.

Just cover the light sensor for a few seconds with your hand (it's in the same place that the LED is) and you should see the brightness drop and the slider become enabled again.
    narci, Boight and kjm2010 like this.
    04-18-12 11:22 AM
    Peter that makes sense, but I am usually on a train/metro when it happens to me. (the only time i play games on the device). It is usually fairly dim in those areas.
    04-18-12 11:24 AM
    If you're in full sun it automatically jumps to full brightness to compensate and Greys out the slider. Similarly ij the dark it will decrease brightness. The light sensor is in the front camera.

I figured this out by getting irritated by my screen constantly brightening and dimming while reading in portrait - then I realized that I kept covering the sensor with my thumb. Oops.
    peter9477 likes this.
    04-18-12 11:49 AM
    Thanks everyone, the light sensor thingy did the trick.
    04-18-12 02:06 PM
    In the screen setting you can also turn on/off automatic backlight dimming.
    04-18-12 02:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD