12-20-12 04:50 AM
- I think I was here a few weeks ago, made a post about considering a Playbook instead of a tablet. Well, I haven't had the greatest experience since then, but it's a long story. Basically, I am not too good with saving money. I like to buy stuff, but not the typical girly stuff. I wanted a Playbook during black Friday, but ended up going for a slightly cheaper Android 7" tablet, which unbeknownst to me, was sent from China (ordered on Amazon.) So I went through heck with FedEx just to get my crappy tablet from China, took 3 days of talking to the manager of the FedEx ***** driver who just was too lazy to try and find my apartment. Once I got the tablet, it was crap. I charged it all night, to 100%, and then when I finally tried it out, the battery power was, I kid you not, going down 1% PER MINUTE. Before my eyes. It may last about an hour if unplugged. And I was just futzing around with trying to switch it to English language and time zone, since it was all Chinese! So, sent the tablet back, and was just today refunded.
After that, I was peeved, and decided to spring for the absurd $220 price tag for the Acer 10.1" Iconia Tab at my local Wal-Mart. I have an Acer laptop I am really happy with, so I thought having an Acer tablet, that I could buy right THEN, was new in box and I didn't have to worry about if it would work, or where it was sent from, or whatever. Well, so far it's been great, with what little I have used it. I got a 16gb micro sd card for it, but when I tried to put it in my tablet, the karma gods screwed with me again and sent the card flying from my little tight fingernail grasp on it. It has literally been sucked into another dimension, because even with me seeing where it went in general, I have spent hours scouring my carpet, my clothes, my shelves and desk and everything ON them. Nothing. So, I have been in a pretty pissy mood lately. BUT, I couldn't stop wishing I had a Playbook. I still wanted one, even after all this...
So tonight I took a jaunt to ebay. I only had a little bit of money in my Paypal, so I wasn't even expecting to get anything until I could come up with the $150 or so to get a used one. I searched up and down, the used ones and the 'Buy It Now' ones. Then lo and behold, the skies parted. (I guess it was a bright moon or something. lol) I saw a 16gb Playbook, advertised as "In new condition, with small problem". I noticed even with just $78 in my account, I had JUST enough to BUY IT NOW from this guy, USA seller, 100% feedback. His "small problem"? This 'blinking red light and black screen' which I had read about before. I took a really quick 5 minutes to look up on YouTube, and sure enough, there were some various "fixes" for this problem. I jumped on it. Before I lost my chance again. I have a tendency to do that.
So, my big question, well, main question... Did I make a stupid mistake??
Also, it only comes with an AC adapter charger. BUT, I also already have a new in box RIM 'Rapid Charging Port'. So my other question is: WHAT all do I now need to order to get the full potential from my PlayBook once it arrives? Assuming it is salvageable. I hope. *whimper*12-13-12 09:38 PM
- if its blinking read light chances are you can get it to work. You will need to try one of several different things. Leaving it on the PB charger for several hours or overnight might work. If not then hooking it up to the PC and using desktop manager to "debrick" the device would be my next step.12-13-12 10:45 PM
- No it doesn't work, I had actually been ready to order a PB and had ordered the charger separate, but the seller on Amazon refused to cancel my order less than 2 hrs later. So I have a new unopened charger. Thanks for the compliment. I fancy myself a writer, though 'blogging' seems to be my niche.12-14-12 01:27 AM
- Hey, if any of you see this tonight, do I have to buy a bluetooth keyboard, or is there any way to use the mini usb keyboard I already got? If I do need another one, where is the cheapest one I can get that still works well. I kind of don't have another $50 to spend on a little keyboard...12-14-12 01:29 AM
- Hey, if any of you see this tonight, do I have to buy a bluetooth keyboard, or is there any way to use the mini usb keyboard I already got? If I do need another one, where is the cheapest one I can get that still works well. I kind of don't have another $50 to spend on a little keyboard...
HP TouchPad Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard | eBay12-14-12 04:47 AM
- if its blinking read light chances are you can get it to work. You will need to try one of several different things. Leaving it on the PB charger for several hours or overnight might work. If not then hooking it up to the PC and using desktop manager to "debrick" the device would be my next step.12-14-12 05:50 AM
- 12-14-12 05:55 AM
- 12-14-12 05:58 AM
- If you can find a HP keyboard from their Touchpad, it works well for typing but no trackpad or moving around the screen, so just use your finger on the screen for that bit then type away. HP FB344AA#AC3 TouchPad Wireless Keyboard - Walmart.com
HP TouchPad Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard | eBay12-14-12 06:01 AM
- The first thing to do is charge or try charging it. If you attach it to a computer with Desktop manager and it is off or does not have enough power, it might START an Update process but stop due to insufficient charge and you are better off NOT being in the middle of the update. So first try getting it to charge and let it fully charge - at least, that would be my suggestion.12-14-12 10:46 AM
I bought a 16 GB Playbook, in similar condition, and Rapid Charger for $40. I was able to revive it.
Let us know when it is actually in your hands.12-14-12 02:21 PM
- You recommend a keyboard that only partially works yet your forum signature tagline has a link to the BlackBerry Bluetooth Keyboard manual. I recommend either the Hip Street Bluetooth Keyboard and Case plus Logitech V470 Bluetooth Mouse, or the BlackBerry Bluetooth Keyboard with built-in trackpad and Convertible Case.
Actually it's more than get by, the bb keyboard is great for Web browsing and a little typing, but if you are typing an essay or paragraphs then the quality hp touchpad keyboard is hard to beat being a full size almost same as the apple keyboard.12-14-12 03:02 PM
- I almost hate to suggest this but, as soon as you get it, call the RIM 1-800 # for your country. They will ask you to register your device but as far as I know they don't require you to provide your purchase receipt. Describe the problem to them. See what they suggest. You can spend a lot of time with the helpful suggestions posted here... and not sort out your problem. From my experience and based on comments in these forums, RIM can be quite accommodating especially with providing a replacement unit. Last summer, my PB stopped charging and even though it was after the one year warranty, they replaced it free of charge. It's worth a try.
Good luck. As you can tell by all these posts, we're all eager to hear how you make out.12-14-12 04:11 PM
- 12-14-12 05:20 PM
- By Sainthak in forum BlackBerry Torch 9800Replies: 6Last Post: 10-19-10, 04:22 PM
- By Kannelos in forum BlackBerry Curve 85xxReplies: 16Last Post: 07-24-10, 11:26 PM
- By Sabaka in forum BlackBerry OS 5 & 4.xReplies: 4Last Post: 08-29-09, 10:52 AM
- By stevefo in forum BlackBerry Curve 83xxReplies: 3Last Post: 07-19-08, 06:06 PM
- By MadisonFaye in forum BlackBerry Curve 83xxReplies: 8Last Post: 05-29-08, 07:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD