I think I was here a few weeks ago, made a post about considering a Playbook instead of a tablet. Well, I haven't had the greatest experience since then, but it's a long story. Basically, I am not too good with saving money. I like to buy stuff, but not the typical girly stuff. I wanted a Playbook during black Friday, but ended up going for a slightly cheaper Android 7" tablet, which unbeknownst to me, was sent from China (ordered on Amazon.) So I went through heck with FedEx just to get my crappy tablet from China, took 3 days of talking to the manager of the FedEx ***** driver who just was too lazy to try and find my apartment. Once I got the tablet, it was crap. I charged it all night, to 100%, and then when I finally tried it out, the battery power was, I kid you not, going down 1% PER MINUTE. Before my eyes. It may last about an hour if unplugged. And I was just futzing around with trying to switch it to English language and time zone, since it was all Chinese! So, sent the tablet back, and was just today refunded.
    After that, I was peeved, and decided to spring for the absurd $220 price tag for the Acer 10.1" Iconia Tab at my local Wal-Mart. I have an Acer laptop I am really happy with, so I thought having an Acer tablet, that I could buy right THEN, was new in box and I didn't have to worry about if it would work, or where it was sent from, or whatever. Well, so far it's been great, with what little I have used it. I got a 16gb micro sd card for it, but when I tried to put it in my tablet, the karma gods screwed with me again and sent the card flying from my little tight fingernail grasp on it. It has literally been sucked into another dimension, because even with me seeing where it went in general, I have spent hours scouring my carpet, my clothes, my shelves and desk and everything ON them. Nothing. So, I have been in a pretty pissy mood lately. BUT, I couldn't stop wishing I had a Playbook. I still wanted one, even after all this...
    So tonight I took a jaunt to ebay. I only had a little bit of money in my Paypal, so I wasn't even expecting to get anything until I could come up with the $150 or so to get a used one. I searched up and down, the used ones and the 'Buy It Now' ones. Then lo and behold, the skies parted. (I guess it was a bright moon or something. lol) I saw a 16gb Playbook, advertised as "In new condition, with small problem". I noticed even with just $78 in my account, I had JUST enough to BUY IT NOW from this guy, USA seller, 100% feedback. His "small problem"? This 'blinking red light and black screen' which I had read about before. I took a really quick 5 minutes to look up on YouTube, and sure enough, there were some various "fixes" for this problem. I jumped on it. Before I lost my chance again. I have a tendency to do that.
    So, my big question, well, main question... Did I make a stupid mistake??
    Also, it only comes with an AC adapter charger. BUT, I also already have a new in box RIM 'Rapid Charging Port'. So my other question is: WHAT all do I now need to order to get the full potential from my PlayBook once it arrives? Assuming it is salvageable. I hope. *whimper*
    12-13-12 09:38 PM
    Hopefully, one of the Stack Charging methods or DEBRICK threads will help you get it going. Good luck
    12-13-12 10:37 PM
    if its blinking read light chances are you can get it to work. You will need to try one of several different things. Leaving it on the PB charger for several hours or overnight might work. If not then hooking it up to the PC and using desktop manager to "debrick" the device would be my next step.
    12-13-12 10:45 PM
    Thanks, I will try that when it comes. Do you mean leave it in the wall charger, or the charging dock I have?
    12-13-12 11:06 PM
    Either charger will work. But leave it on there 24 hours. Do not use USB to charge it.
    12-13-12 11:37 PM
    Luckily the only time my Pb has a flashing red led light and black scrn is when it is on standby, meaning a sweep and pwd entry !

Good luck with your used purchase ... hopefully no baby bump nor recessed on button issues !!

nite
    12-14-12 12:10 AM
    Ask the seller when he bought it and if he has ever contacted RIM or registered the PB.
    After you get the PB, plug it in and report back exactly what it is doing. There are many knowledegable people here.
    12-14-12 12:13 AM
    Thanks for your funny story. You have a way with words! Just wondering why you already had a rapid charger though. Does the pb rapid charger work for non bb products?
    12-14-12 12:20 AM
    You should be able to get it up and running but I cannot guarantee that it won't be a pita. I had a blinking red light issue and it took two days for me to get it up and running again. The thing is that I got it up and running good luck.
    12-14-12 01:08 AM
    No it doesn't work, I had actually been ready to order a PB and had ordered the charger separate, but the seller on Amazon refused to cancel my order less than 2 hrs later. So I have a new unopened charger. Thanks for the compliment. I fancy myself a writer, though 'blogging' seems to be my niche.
    12-14-12 01:27 AM
    Hey, if any of you see this tonight, do I have to buy a bluetooth keyboard, or is there any way to use the mini usb keyboard I already got? If I do need another one, where is the cheapest one I can get that still works well. I kind of don't have another $50 to spend on a little keyboard...
    12-14-12 01:29 AM
    All will be well. You are in the right place!
    12-14-12 04:34 AM
    Hey, if any of you see this tonight, do I have to buy a bluetooth keyboard, or is there any way to use the mini usb keyboard I already got? If I do need another one, where is the cheapest one I can get that still works well. I kind of don't have another $50 to spend on a little keyboard...
    If you can find a HP keyboard from their Touchpad, it works well for typing but no trackpad or moving around the screen, so just use your finger on the screen for that bit then type away. HP FB344AA#AC3 TouchPad Wireless Keyboard - Walmart.com
    HP TouchPad Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard | eBay
    12-14-12 04:47 AM
    if its blinking read light chances are you can get it to work. You will need to try one of several different things. Leaving it on the PB charger for several hours or overnight might work. If not then hooking it up to the PC and using desktop manager to "debrick" the device would be my next step.
    She'll need to debrick the tablet to remove any trace of the former owner's configuration and to ensure no trojan software has been installed and hidden.
    12-14-12 05:50 AM
    Good luck with your used purchase ... hopefully no baby bump nor recessed on button issues !!
    Cutesy terms like "baby bump" instead of the ugly reality term of "pregnancy" spreading like wildfire through the media and pop culture has to stop. Besides I was not aware tablets could give birth much less get pregnant.
    Kris Garvey likes this.
    12-14-12 05:55 AM
    So, my big question, well, main question... Did I make a stupid mistake??
    Is there such a thing as a smart mistake? < /humour > You only made a mistake if the tablet cannot be recovered to a usable state but presumably ebay has a means to get a refund on defective merchandise, disclaimers on the auction item notwithstanding.
    12-14-12 05:58 AM
    If you can find a HP keyboard from their Touchpad, it works well for typing but no trackpad or moving around the screen, so just use your finger on the screen for that bit then type away. HP FB344AA#AC3 TouchPad Wireless Keyboard - Walmart.com
    HP TouchPad Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard | eBay
    You recommend a keyboard that only partially works yet your forum signature tagline has a link to the BlackBerry Bluetooth Keyboard manual. I recommend either the Hip Street Bluetooth Keyboard and Case plus Logitech V470 Bluetooth Mouse, or the BlackBerry Bluetooth Keyboard with built-in trackpad and Convertible Case.
    12-14-12 06:01 AM
    Yeah I was kinda confused about that one myself, lol
    12-14-12 08:20 AM
    If you have a desktop PC, it would be advisable to install the BlackBerry Desktop software... you can download it from BB site... this will help you easily to reinstall the PB Latest OS version, in case you can't access the PB at the very beginning...
    12-14-12 09:51 AM
    The first thing to do is charge or try charging it. If you attach it to a computer with Desktop manager and it is off or does not have enough power, it might START an Update process but stop due to insufficient charge and you are better off NOT being in the middle of the update. So first try getting it to charge and let it fully charge - at least, that would be my suggestion.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    12-14-12 10:46 AM
    Is there such a thing as a smart mistake? < /humour > You only made a mistake if the tablet cannot be recovered to a usable state but presumably ebay has a means to get a refund on defective merchandise, disclaimers on the auction item notwithstanding.
    It was sold as a defective item with the defect stated so, no there is no refund option through eBay / PayPal.

I bought a 16 GB Playbook, in similar condition, and Rapid Charger for $40. I was able to revive it.
    Let us know when it is actually in your hands.
    jsdhornby likes this.
    12-14-12 02:21 PM
    You recommend a keyboard that only partially works yet your forum signature tagline has a link to the BlackBerry Bluetooth Keyboard manual. I recommend either the Hip Street Bluetooth Keyboard and Case plus Logitech V470 Bluetooth Mouse, or the BlackBerry Bluetooth Keyboard with built-in trackpad and Convertible Case.
    She said she wanted cheap, and you can get by with the $20 ones. I have the hp touchpad one and the official one.

Actually it's more than get by, the bb keyboard is great for Web browsing and a little typing, but if you are typing an essay or paragraphs then the quality hp touchpad keyboard is hard to beat being a full size almost same as the apple keyboard.
    12-14-12 03:02 PM
    I almost hate to suggest this but, as soon as you get it, call the RIM 1-800 # for your country. They will ask you to register your device but as far as I know they don't require you to provide your purchase receipt. Describe the problem to them. See what they suggest. You can spend a lot of time with the helpful suggestions posted here... and not sort out your problem. From my experience and based on comments in these forums, RIM can be quite accommodating especially with providing a replacement unit. Last summer, my PB stopped charging and even though it was after the one year warranty, they replaced it free of charge. It's worth a try.

Good luck. As you can tell by all these posts, we're all eager to hear how you make out.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-14-12 04:11 PM
    Get a pot of coffee brewing and get ready to be on here talking to F2 for the stack charge salvage
    kbz1960, FF22 and jsdhornby like this.
    12-14-12 04:59 PM
    Get a pot of coffee brewing and get ready to be on here talking to F2 for the stack charge salvage
    We need Timezone info and _I_ only do decafe the other stuff keeps me awake all night. Ah, the OLD days when I'd have a double espresso at 11pm and head off to bed a bit later! I did just purchase 3 pounds of Starbucks' Christmas blend, on sale, for my espresso machine - DECAFE!
    12-14-12 05:20 PM
61 123