is it possible to build an app that would allow using the playbook to make & recieve calls via bridge/bluetooth??? you've got your 1st customer/tester right here...
    axllebeer and dazzleaj like this.
    01-07-14 07:56 AM
    I would like to see this also.
    01-07-14 08:55 AM
    I would like to see this too. In my office or house. I do all my messaging /texting through my PlayBook. The phone is usually close by but I only use it for calls or if I'm away from house. Saying that (except for the camera), you should be OK using a bluetooth ear piece rather than the PlayBook for phone call.

Posted via CB10
    01-07-14 01:12 PM
    I would like to see this too. In my office or house. I do all my messaging /texting through my PlayBook. The phone is usually close by but I only use it for calls or if I'm away from house. Saying that (except for the camera), you should be OK using a bluetooth ear piece rather than the PlayBook for phone call.

Posted via CB10
    i do,,, but this is a different application & something i've been harping on for a while,,, being able to use all phone capabilities via the bridge function is something BB overlooked w/ the pb & it would've put it in its' own category,,, all the hardware is there, so it's merely a software issue,,, consider it already plays music via bridge, so inbound/outbound calls are just an eager beaver dev away,,, any dev that pulls this off will be a playbook god...
    Last edited by SEAWARRIOR; 01-08-14 at 05:15 AM.
    dazzleaj likes this.
    01-07-14 03:36 PM
    I'm not sure how the quality would be over Bridge, but I use Spare Phone to make and receive calls on my PlayBook. It uses Google Voice for the phone number. I also use the Google Voice app for voicemail and texting. At least it is an option.
    01-07-14 03:55 PM
    There is a version of Taki for the PB.
    01-07-14 03:58 PM
    I'm not sure how the quality would be over Bridge, but I use Spare Phone to make and receive calls on my PlayBook. It uses Google Voice for the phone number. I also use the Google Voice app for voicemail and texting. At least it is an option.
    There is a version of Taki for the PB.
    i wanna steer clear of sideloads & voip apps,,, ephone is another in that vein,,, ideally a native, built for bb type thing is what i have in mind,,, i wanna use my existing # & not sign up for a service or get another #,,, this would not only be super convenient when using the playbook, but also ideal as a desktop speakerphone when coupled w/ the charging dock,,, of the 2mill+ pb's out there, there'd be a pretty good # that'd jump on this...
    Last edited by SEAWARRIOR; 01-08-14 at 06:16 AM.
    01-08-14 05:13 AM
    Now this is a great idea!

Posted via CB10
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    01-08-14 05:27 AM
    Now this is a great idea!

Posted via CB10
    hopefully the guy that builds it thinks so too & remembers me in his will...
    01-08-14 06:17 AM
    hopefully the guy that builds it thinks so too & remembers me in his will...
    I think any developer considering it will need to see this thread blow up with request to even consider it.
    01-08-14 07:01 AM
    I think any developer considering it will need to see this thread blow up with request to even consider it.
    I am sure that would highly depend on the kind of developer that would take a shine to such a project. A commercially interested party would no doubt need more confirmation before setting out to try this. A hobbyist, however, would merely have to believe in the project per se and have the time to spare to actually build it...
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    01-08-14 07:47 AM
    Basically, you want a sip server on blackberry OS. That way, you could use anything (computer, tablet)... It should use an inetd-like interface, so it is only ever loaded when somebody connects to the sip port... needs some security.... hm. I will look into this....

I have not yet looked at the sdk, so I am not sure what is possible what not.

Posted via CB10
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    01-08-14 10:59 AM
    The PB SDK sets are quite extensive as they were the precursor for BB10. It doesn't allow background apps, but you could easily build PB apps in NDK to do a lot of this.

I gave all my PBs away when I moved to my surface pro, so I'm afraid I can't help much. But I wish you luck in the endeavour.

Posted via CB from my LE
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    01-08-14 12:04 PM
    Basically, you want a sip server on blackberry OS. That way, you could use anything (computer, tablet)... It should use an inetd-like interface, so it is only ever loaded when somebody connects to the sip port... needs some security.... hm. I will look into this....

I have not yet looked at the sdk, so I am not sure what is possible what not.

Posted via CB10
    not sure what you just said, , but if it means getting the playbook to act as a bluetooth device w/ make/recieve call capabilities between a bridged BB phone, that'd be awesome,,, ,,, pM me if you want to go into more detail about features & testing...
    01-08-14 06:43 PM
    I take it the free Comwave e-phone app won't do it? I use it fr calls on my PlayBook but have not tried it over BlueTooth.
    01-08-14 07:21 PM
    I take it the free Comwave e-phone app won't do it? I use it fr calls on my PlayBook but have not tried it over BlueTooth.
    nah, i'm shooting for a native bluetooth app,,, if you can imagine the playbook working like a BT earpiece/speakerphone but w/ really cool (g)ui & being able to make/recieve calls using your existing # via the existing bluetooth/bridged connection...
    01-08-14 07:24 PM
    .Ah, OK, different app and function than I was thinking. Would be a great feature for the PlayBook.
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    01-08-14 07:27 PM
    .Ah, OK, different app and function than I was thinking. Would be a great feature for the PlayBook.
    you betcha!!!
    01-08-14 10:13 PM
    I never understood why they just limited it to showing incoming call on the PlayBook, why not allow us to answer the damn call if you can show us someone is calling!?

Posted via CB10
    01-08-14 10:20 PM
    I never understood why they just limited it to showing incoming call on the PlayBook, why not allow us to answer the damn call if you can show us someone is calling!?

Posted via CB10
    hopefully w/ some help, we'll fix that...
    01-08-14 10:21 PM
    Let's get this going on kickstarter. Is that something that can be done?
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    01-08-14 11:42 PM
    Let's get this going on kickstarter. Is that something that can be done?
    this could be a legit option if i get a dev that'll go in w/ me...
    01-09-14 12:49 PM
    Not sure how it would work on kickstarter. You would have to find a dev and the cost associated with it?
    I've never used kickstarter.
    01-09-14 11:24 PM
    Not sure how it would work on kickstarter. You would have to find a dev and the cost associated with it?
    I've never used kickstarter.
    from what i've read, yes...
    01-10-14 10:40 AM
    ComWave offers an application for the BlackBerry PlayBook to make and receive telephone calls.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-14 07:34 AM
46 12