Developers are able to now sign up to participate in the Blackberry Playbook NDK Beta 1 program! http://devblog.blackberry.com/2011/08/native-sdk-for-blackberry-tablet-os-closed-beta/?CPID=TWDBeta82411

If you are a developer planning to use the NDK, sign up! And please be kind enough to share your plans with the Crackberry Nation in this thread.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-24-11 10:26 AM
    This has me so excited! I'm looking to support the playbook in my 2&3D game engine that I'm currently working on. My dev team and I are working on an original game ( 3D MMORPG ) for the PC that's gesture based and I feel like it would fit the playbook perfectly!
    08-24-11 10:45 AM
    First up, an SSH client. Sound good?
    Extra bonus: Inbuilt blackberry-connect allowing you to SSH in to your own device.

So, an SSH client and a Playbook terminal in one.
    08-24-11 10:55 AM
    This has me so excited! I'm looking to support the playbook in my 2&3D game engine that I'm currently working on. My dev team and I are working on an original game ( 3D MMORPG ) for the PC that's gesture based and I feel like it would fit the playbook perfectly!
    Sounds awesome! The Playbook is definitely in need of high quality games, for which the NDK is perfectly suited.

08-24-11 11:16 AM
    First up, an SSH client. Sound good?
    Extra bonus: Inbuilt blackberry-connect allowing you to SSH in to your own device.

So, an SSH client and a Playbook terminal in one.
    Its already being worked on: Good news/bad news | marcparadise.com
    08-24-11 11:53 AM
    Is NDK going to be mainly for games? No native apps? Are we going to see clean, smooth and repsonsive apps ever? Why do they focus on games only? Native apps are so important!
    08-24-11 12:21 PM
    VLC QNX source code is available. I wish of someone consider porting it to the PlayBook.
    08-24-11 12:23 PM
    VLC QNX source code is available. I wish of someone consider porting it to the PlayBook.
    Link pls ?

08-24-11 01:52 PM
    videolan.org/vlc

scroll down and you will see VLC for QNX.

videolan.org/vlc/download-sources.html for the source code. I desperately want it on the PlayBook.
    08-24-11 08:14 PM
    There is a wealth of Unix/linix software that could be ported with the NDK. I want to port for instance an application to view crystal structure files. Other scientific applications that are generally not available as apps in app stores, but available in source code under GNU etc. Most of this stuff uses OpenGL.
    08-24-11 08:24 PM
    Likewise, a lot of the physics/radiation programs I use would port nicely from Linux.

This device really is looking good in terms of apps. Already with a wealth of Android apps (possibly all will be compatible with video driver). Then all those flash games which are often better than dedicated phone apps. Now all the desktop apps should easily port (X11 the only blocker). Soon java apps.
    08-24-11 08:43 PM
    VLC VLC VLCCCCC!!!!
    Imagine playing ALL kinds of video files with VLC..WITH subtitles! Never ever convert a video again! AND play MKV files :O
    08-24-11 11:10 PM
    VLC probably will kill the battery life. Don't even know if the Playbook uses TI's DSP for the codecs.

Download ffmpeg and do a command line container conversion from mkv to mp4.
    08-24-11 11:24 PM
    VLC VLC VLCCCCC!!!!
    Imagine playing ALL kinds of video files with VLC..WITH subtitles! Never ever convert a video again! AND play MKV files :O
    I thought you were doing Roman Numerals!
    08-24-11 11:48 PM
    Open source applications for QNX, hopefully these are easy to port to playbook.

Open Source applications for QNX - Browse Files at SourceForge.net
    08-25-11 04:07 AM
    The console QNX6 ones will work straight away.
    The Photon QNX6 ones will just need to change the UI framework.

By the way, I tried downloading a few of them and they only provide binaries. No source.

The question is: which one would you want on your tablet?
    Last edited by xsacha; 08-25-11 at 05:30 AM.
    08-25-11 05:13 AM

By the way, I tried downloading a few of them and they only provide binaries. No source.

Mozilla will be great!
    08-25-11 02:34 PM

There is no UI framework for the NDK yet, thats why its only for game devs
    08-25-11 02:37 PM

Mozilla Firebird for QNX?? In the immortal word of Keanu Reeves, "Whoa!". This would be the fast and easy answer for everybody wanting a native email app...
    08-25-11 03:00 PM
    There is no UI framework for the NDK yet, thats why its only for game devs
    Isn't that what Cascades is for? Also, come on.. we all used to write our own UIs in the 90's anyways
    08-25-11 03:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD