I hate to sound like a rim zombie but 2.0 will come when it comes *gaaaasp!*

By that i am warning you guys that new bridge releases have preceded OS updates by a few days... and there has been no new bridge... so tomorrow (or 4am or whenever) Balsillie is not going to say "click the update button! voil�! You have it!!!"

Because by now... its obvious its not ready. Yea the forums have been heating up with growing disappointment. just dropping my $.02 worth on curbing unjustified enthusiasm.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-17-11 08:51 AM
    Does this justify a new topic?
    10-17-11 08:53 AM
    I'm ready to hear what those who attend DEVCON have to say!! See what kind of new things we have to look forward to in the next few months. Whoever out there is going to DEVCON please PLEASE keep us who aren't up to date! OS2 aside, I want to know what else they have planned for us!

Hopefully someone will start a DEVCON thread that everyone can just post in that one thread so I wont have to bounce all over the forums. Just a thought.
    Last edited by ScoobsDM; 10-17-11 at 08:59 AM. Reason: bad spelling
    rleo25 likes this.
    10-17-11 08:58 AM

By that i am warning you guys that new bridge releases have preceded OS updates by a few days... and there has been no new bridge... so tomorrow (or 4am or whenever) Balsillie is not going to say "click the update button! voil�! You have it!!!"

Because by now... its obvious its not ready. Yea the forums have been heating up with growing disappointment. just dropping my $.02 worth on curbing unjustified enthusiasm.

The most recent update involved a bridge update. When was that? A couple of weeks ago? For beta testers perhaps?

I'm not assuming that 2.0 will be released immediately.
    10-17-11 08:59 AM
    The most recent update involved a bridge update. When was that? A couple of weeks ago? For beta testers perhaps?

I'm not assuming that 2.0 will be released immediately.
    Yea that bridge update was already coupled up with an OS update. 1 bridge update, 1 OS update.

I never thought it was going to happen, since Balsillie himself said "thereafter" (devcon) but speculation in here with all sorts of voodoo mathmatics is running wild that it is coming on devcon.

Well some have replied so i guess they thought so.
    Maybe you shouldnt have read it if it were a waste of time (?)

Last edited by kb5zht; 10-17-11 at 09:13 AM.
    10-17-11 09:10 AM
    Does anyone why RIM releases a Bridge update prior to the OS updates? Is there something on the technical side that requires this? I'm just guessing that there are some people that update their PB OS prior to their Bridge app on their phones (for any number of reasons).

Is it not possible that RIM releases both updates simultaneously? Or is there any reasoning behind them releasing the Bridge update days before?

All I'm saying is I don't think they HAVE to release the update days prior to the OS update. It's just what they've done in the past and if they really do want to keep the release of OS2 as a surprise, they may release the Bridge update at the same time and not days prior to the OS update.
    eanjr1964 likes this.
    10-17-11 09:22 AM
    Yea that bridge update was already coupled up with an OS update. 1 bridge update, 1 OS update.

I never thought it was going to happen, since Balsillie himself said "thereafter" (devcon) but speculation in here with all sorts of voodoo mathmatics is running wild that it is coming on devcon.

Remember, the OS now features differential updating. Also, the update description was somewhat vague.

We'll soon see what's up but as we are all aware the potential for this OS is enormous so tje conference should be very, very interesting.
    10-17-11 09:24 AM
    I'm ready to hear what those who attend DEVCON have to say!! See what kind of new things we have to look forward to in the next few months. Whoever out there is going to DEVCON please PLEASE keep us who aren't up to date! OS2 aside, I want to know what else they have planned for us!

Hopefully someone will start a DEVCON thread that everyone can just post in that one thread so I wont have to bounce all over the forums. Just a thought.
    there's an app for that you know ... Free BlackBerry DevCon Americas 2011 Mobile Guide - Download BlackBerry DevCon Americas 2011 Mobile Guide - Free Apps from BlackBerry App World
    ScoobsDM likes this.
    10-17-11 09:24 AM
    Maybe Im misunderstanding what a couple of you are saying. Those early Bridge updates are on phones. Nothing to do with incremental updates.

To the OP, thanks. The Bridge updates never occured to me.
    eanjr1964 likes this.
    10-17-11 09:38 AM
    Thank you, I saw that in the APP World but thought it was mainly for those who were attending DEVCON.
    10-17-11 09:41 AM
    Maybe Im misunderstanding what a couple of you are saying. Those early Bridge updates are on phones. Nothing to do with incremental updates.

To the OP, thanks. The Bridge updates never occured to me.
    It seems that the updates to the Bridge app on our phones is the precursor to a PlayBook update. That has been the pattern. Either the OS updates on the PlayBook affect the Bridge coding or it has all been coincidence.
    Last edited by newcollector; 10-17-11 at 09:47 AM.
    10-17-11 09:44 AM
    Alright.... I bit my tongue for too long... NO ONE SAID OS 2 was going to be released tomorrow morning. The annoucement made was that it would drop shortly there after Devcon, Devcon will annouce the features of OS2 and available at a later date. My now ex gf's brother who is a programmer at RIM said it should be out by Oct 31st!! So kb5zht, STOP TROLLING!!!
    10-17-11 10:05 AM
    Alright.... I bit my tongue for too long... NO ONE SAID OS 2 was going to be released tomorrow morning. The annoucement made was that it would drop shortly there after Devcon, Devcon will annouce the features of OS2 and available at a later date. My now ex gf's brother who is a programmer at RIM said it should be out by Oct 31st!! So kb5zht, STOP TROLLING!!!
    Actually, nobody said "shortly" thereafter either, they simply said "thereafter". Could be shortly, could be "longly".

(See the G&M article today about November).
    peter9477 likes this.
    10-17-11 10:22 AM
    i dont care about 2.0 its just some marketing thing. i would appreciate rim just releasing what is ready. i dont need to be convinced that i made a wise investment. i made that decision in the store when i bought the device for what it had not what was promised. its sad knowing other updates are ready to roll but because they want to have everything bundled for 2.0 they are making us wait. alas...
    10-17-11 10:26 AM
    I've only seen "after DevCon". No where was the term shortly used. As for Oct 31, like RIM cares about dates! "Summer", Oct 31st, just things for them to miss.

Anyway I'll just keep my expectations low and hope RIM one day releases all this potential energy pent up and stored in the Playbook. RIM needs to start delivering at some point. I will give them props on the OS7 devices dramatically improving the Playbook experience though. It is obvious that they intended for the Playbook to bridge to the OS7 devices and not the underpowered previous device from my experience now using both.
    dreadlocks10 likes this.
    10-17-11 10:26 AM

Are you sure by a few days. Now it could be my memory here buy I recall Bridge updates on Mondays sometime and a PB update overnight sometime, maybe morning as they roll it out. When has it been days in-between?
    10-17-11 10:41 AM
    I'm starting to think you are a like and thank "hoarder". If you don't have something constructive to add to threads, then let the admins decide on whether the threads should exist or not.
    Last edited by dabears580; 10-17-11 at 11:57 AM.
    10-17-11 11:49 AM
    Alright.... I bit my tongue for too long... NO ONE SAID OS 2 was going to be released tomorrow morning.
    Actually many threads have started with that exact same premise.

The annoucement made was that it would drop shortly there after Devcon, Devcon will annouce the features of OS2 and available at a later date.
    said that myself but okay...

My now ex gf's brother who is a programmer at RIM said it should be out by Oct 31st!! So kb5zht, STOP TROLLING!!!
    Um, did i make a mistake by taking your reply seriously?

10-17-11 12:49 PM

Not only is there an app for that, but you don't have to bounce anywhere - just go to the front page of CrackBerry.com! Kevin & Co. will be there and reporting - sometimes blogging live. That's all you will need to keep up to date.
    10-17-11 01:27 PM
    I listened to the investor call where OS v2.0 release time was discussed. Here is the quote from Mike from the call transcript that got everyone all fired up:

"Rather than easing these enhancements out little by little into the market, we are planning to bundle a number of significant features and enhancements into our new major software release for the PlayBook that will be demonstrated at DevCon in October and released thereafter."

Page 6 on this link is where he says it:

Research in Motion Ltd RIMM Q2 2012 Earnings Call Transcript
    10-17-11 01:32 PM
    2.0 will drop on the one year anniversary

Any sooner and it will be a treat!
    10-17-11 02:29 PM
    I just looked at the DEVCON app and there is some useful information, though full access seems to require actual registration at the event. I see sessions about the Android player, which implies a 2.0 release, but I don't see anything specifically calling attention to a new OS.... of course I am just scanning it.
    10-17-11 03:14 PM
    I have it on good authority (I was divinely permitted to relay this info) from reliable sources (of the tech deity variety) that OS 2.0 will not be released to consumers during DevCon. This prophesy could only be obtained by the one for whom it was issued and or/ Lord Voldemort.
    10-17-11 06:27 PM
    I predict good news tomorrow. They'll show the new QNX phone and make several announcements of major developers designing apps for the Playbook.
    10-17-11 06:54 PM
    10-17-11 09:15 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD