I keep getting checker board pattern when I scroll up or down. I am not even doing it fast.

I have the latest OS version which is 1.0.3.1868.

My 3G Xoom default browser is better. It has less checker board patter.

I hope we get several browsers to choose in the future just like Android. Android has at least 4 working browser that are pretty good.
    05-06-11 12:32 AM
    Yes, the Android and iOS browsers render faster than the Playbook browser.

It's not that the browser is "bad," it's just slower than teh others.

Other than that, nothing is really wrong with it. You're really grasping at straws.

IRT Android, lots of them are based off the stock browser, just the UI is different. The stock browser is decent. Firefox for Android is terrible. Opera Mobile 11 is wonderful. Opera Mini is useless unless you have a midrange phone or crappy data speeds, but it's decent.

I woulnd't be suprised of Mozilla and Opera port their browsers over to the Playbook, though...
    05-06-11 12:38 AM
    Checkerboard pattern is good, it allows for smooth scrolling at 60 fps and it makes scrolling not laggy unlike the Xoom.
    05-06-11 12:39 AM
    I only get checkerboarding while the page is still downloading. By contrast, I just get a gray screen on my laptop while a page is doing the same thing...

I'm not so sure its a bug as its more like a softer way of showing an incomplete page. The iPad2 does the same thing.
    05-06-11 12:44 AM
    it's not bad, maybe the bridge connection is slow.
    once on wifi it's flying.
    on bridge better turn off flash..felt quicker.
    05-06-11 12:46 AM
    I don't know if it's the same thing in other forums but some people are incredibly nitpicking here.

I was a bit concerned about the checkered pattern myself before launch when I watched the videos. BUT the real thing is much better than I expected. And I'm quite demanding in terms of web browsing because I bought the Playbook especially for the web browsing experience. If anything, I'm actually surprised at the rendering performance and at the so few checkered pattern. Maybe my WiFi is just special...
    05-06-11 12:54 AM
    for me, once the page has fully loaded up I can scroll up and down quickly w/o the checkered pattern showing up.
    05-06-11 02:09 AM
    agreed once page is loaded no checkerboard browser works great for me but i huess some are never satisfied, yes there is room for improvement as is with any device but that will come in the future with upgrades.
    05-06-11 02:26 AM
    the heII with checkboarding! the real problem is that we can't reorganize/reorder/rename our bookmarks!
    Rainforrest and Pilot_Berry like this.
    05-06-11 04:56 AM
    I keep getting checker board pattern when I scroll up or down. I am not even doing it fast.

I have the latest OS version which is 1.0.3.1868.

My 3G Xoom default browser is better. It has less checker board patter.

I hope we get several browsers to choose in the future just like Android. Android has at least 4 working browser that are pretty good.
    After fully loading a page no checkerboards for me either...are you just annoyed because it isn't running Android? Because that is what it sounds like to me....if you are truly that annoyed I am sure you kept your recite and know how to drive back to the store...
    05-06-11 05:08 AM
    can't believe you compare it to the xoom....the xoom is junk
    05-06-11 07:53 AM
    Once I switched from DSL to Verizon fios, my default browser has been INCREIDBLE. There's no chance for me to get checkerboarding because pages load instantly.
    05-06-11 07:57 AM
    slow or fast its up to the connection. you can use PC from 1995, and still loads quicker on ADSL or real broadband cable - than using megasuperdupercool professional grade tablet on gprs or edge, thru the mighty bb bridge.
    05-06-11 08:09 AM
    So the default browser is bad because you don't wait for the page to load?! Sounds like you should return it!
    05-06-11 08:11 AM
    You shouldn't be forced to wait for the ENTIRE page to load before scrolling to avoid checkerboarding..im sorry. And even so..the page should load a hella lot quicker than it does. And despite whether the Xoom may or may not be junk..one thing is for certain it absolutely smokes the Play book in side by side browsing. One things for certain..RIM is still behind the pack when it comes to browsing..and nothing is changing anytime soon on the newest crop according to BMX.
    05-06-11 08:11 AM
    on the xoom i get browser lag on flash video and typing on my playbook i dont
    05-06-11 08:12 AM
    The screen kills it on the xoom. Sorry but I would rather see checkering for a half second while scrolling when the page is loading than be stuck looking at a cheap and ugly screen for the life of the device.

Last time i used a Xoom it was impossible to switch youtube video resolution without changing your account settings. The pb you just hit the button and select the resolution you want like a normal browser. Plus this issue exists with a lot of the other flash videos out there. So bad flash support and low res videos on a pathetic looking screen is better to you than dealing with checkering while scrolling?

What's funny is you picked a non issue to complain about. If you wanna say the browser sucks on the pb you could have found a couple of real complaints. Like no multitasking in tabs or not being able to arrange / edit bookmarks. Those issues actually suck. The checkering thing is minor compared to those.
    Last edited by Witmen; 05-06-11 at 08:15 AM.
    05-06-11 08:12 AM
    Software of any kind is always a work in progress and the playbook will only get better each day, not worse. According to all reports it's selling like hotcakes and the more people who buy it the more apps will come and the more robust and sophisticated the software will become. No complaints of any consequence from me so far. As an "early adopter" of technology I am used to this kind of slow roll out of new functionality and so far I am thrilled with what is happening.
    05-06-11 08:21 AM
    Has anyone got the "Windows Live cloud" to work? I keep getting a message that my browser is not supported
    05-06-11 08:23 AM
    crackberry.com is a pain to browse through on the PlayBook (and even on my laptop). Anyone else experience this?
    05-06-11 08:49 AM
    You shouldn't be forced to wait for the ENTIRE page to load before scrolling to avoid checkerboarding..im sorry. And even so..the page should load a hella lot quicker than it does. And despite whether the Xoom may or may not be junk..one thing is for certain it absolutely smokes the Play book in side by side browsing. One things for certain..RIM is still behind the pack when it comes to browsing..and nothing is changing anytime soon on the newest crop according to BMX.
    Can you explain that a little more? The checkerboard creates a buffer for the browser, allowing you to view what is already downloaded while the remainder is loading where the checkerboard is.

Page loads are based off of speed connection, when comparing same devices. I personally have not seen any problem with the checkerboard, with the expectation that it works like your computer browser.
    05-06-11 08:56 AM
    I think a lot of people don't understand the checkerboarding -- you may notice that it occurs in bands and blocks that are not directly correlated to the boundaries of actual web content (for instance, there may be text elements, or images, etc... that are smaller/larger/unrelated to the checkerboarded area as a whole, but simply intersect it in some way). In fact, the checkerboard region is a function of the web view rendering its visible rectangle, and it's not a direct function of the content.

The real problem, and what RIM needs to fix, is that the browser obviously doesn't have proper threading, such that any background network/download traffic "blocks" the render threads much longer than they should. If you compare to the iPad 2, you will see that it renders the visible rect much, much quicker when a page load is in progress. Comparing the two devices side by side, the iPad 2 renders rects at least 4X faster in most cases (both devices loading the same page from the same network for proper comparison obviously).

I have no idea how much of RIM's rendering is hardware accelerated, or how threaded their browser is, but Apple uses both GPU acceleration and heavy duty threading extensively in iOS. And that is likely a key factor in what we see. Last time I checked, Android, RIM, and webOS were all still doing software rendering in their browsers, which is why they have never refreshed or scrolled as nicely as what you see in iOS. I expect that to change, of course, as other manufacturers realize the benefit of taking advantage of the GPU. In some cases, I think I see hardware rendering on the PlayBook, and in others, it's obvious software rendering. So they still have some things to fix.

Bottom line, I think it's important to be educated about issues like checkerboarding if you want to have an opinion on the PlayBook and its OS as they progress from infancy. Checkerboarding is not a result of missing content due to downloads in progress, rather it is due to the download activity blocking the rendering activity. This definitely needs to be improved if RIM wants to give the iPad 2 a run for the money in browsing. I consider the checkerboarding on the PlayBook to be a very visible rough edge. It's actually worse than the iPad 1, which is a year old device, and that is not right.
    its a bit slow indeed. but not always. probably because thousands of pb users flocking in.whining and complaining. hehe
    the default browser is really bad because of checkerboxing as you scroll? sound like over exaggerating the issue...like the complain playbook is really bad because of a small power button...both are non issues to me..
    the only time i really have issues with checkers is on the main page of crackberry.
    05-06-11 09:02 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD