This has been talked a lot about, but not yet compiled. I'm wondering how many people out there have experienced dead pixels so far...

Poor BestBuy... I keep returning my playbook because of bad screens. My first one had a big group of dead pixels at the top. The second, a single dead pixel in the middle of the screen. My third, three spaced dead pixels in a line along the left side.

I'm interested in how many others are experiencing this because I haven't decided whether or not I want a new one today or should wait for a few months. I'm thinking that if I wait it out, despite not wanting to, that they might resolve the problem and get some better screens in their future manufacturing runs.

Thanks guys, look forward to hearing from you.
    04-26-11 01:09 PM
    There are a handful of threads on this already. I had to return one because of a handful of dead pixels.
    04-26-11 01:21 PM
    I have had nothing but bad luck so far. Tried 5 of them which all had to be returned unfortunately.
    First one had some silver etching/spot under the screen with a stuck pixel, while the second one had a stick pixel as well. Third one had some patterns/lines on the screen which became apparent on solid background colors like grey or blue. Fourth had 3 hot pixels slightly visible on black background but it also had some small spots/etching near the right lcd bezel. Fifth one had dust under screen so did not even bother to look for any pixel issues.
    Still want one but too afraid to try another.
    04-26-11 01:36 PM
    I exchanged my playbook because the wifi was having issues staying connected today...took the new one back to my office, turned it on, and there's a single stuck pixel right in the middle of the screen. The wifi works great though! I'll have to take it back to best buy tonight for another replacement.

BTW, if anyone has a hard time finding something to help see a stuck/dead pixel (to show the store for replacement), there's a free app in appword:
    BlackBerry App World - Screen Helper Lite

It allows you to view various colors in full screen to help identify if you have any dead/stuck pixels. There's a paid version too that allows you to possibly fix the stuck pixel by showing some static for long periods of time, but since there's no way to turn off standby on the playbook, and the app doesn't do that itself, its kinda useless right now. The reviews say the developer is aware and will be updating though.
    04-26-11 01:42 PM
    every playbook i have eve played with 6ish mostly demo units all have a few specs of dust under the screen. i take my phone and use he led flash as a flashlight and ALL of them have it. its an issue with all playbooks so dont think exchanging it will help
    04-26-11 01:48 PM
    I've had to return two PB's - Both because of dead pixels. This third playbook seems to be good, haven't noticed any yet. With the first two, I've noticed them right away. With my third, I had them take it out of the box and start it up in the store.

So far so good..
    04-26-11 01:49 PM
    AH CRAP! I'm on my 3rd Playbook, and didn't even look for dust under the screen until I read this thread. Guess what? I can now clearly see 9 particles, including one just off center to the right. Best Buy, here I come! Hope they don't blacklist me for too many returns.
    04-26-11 02:06 PM
    9 specs of dust under the screen!? is anyone posting in this thread happy with anything they buy ever?

I guess with a screen so beautiful it might be kinda understanding.

Anyone have any issues with the chrome BB logo inserts on the back side of the PB not being perfectly aligned horizontal?
    04-26-11 02:15 PM
    9 specs of dust under the screen!? is anyone posting in this thread happy with anything they buy ever?

I guess with a screen so beautiful it might be kinda understanding.

Anyone have any issues with the chrome BB logo inserts on the back side of the PB not being perfectly aligned horizontal?
    I paid $750 for this thing, so it has to be close to perfect.
    Pearl9100 likes this.
    04-26-11 02:28 PM
    i have a single dead pixel off to the side, doesnt bother me as much as the PB i had before where it was closer to center. will this problem be continuously arising on a PB that already has a dead pixel? i can live with one, but cant live with more dead pixels. Dont want to return my PB if I dont have to.
    04-26-11 03:06 PM

Yes, mine isn't flush
    04-26-11 03:59 PM
    I paid $750 for this thing, so it has to be close to perfect.
    No, for that kind of cash it better be perfect...period.
    04-26-11 04:02 PM
    no dead pixels or dust to report
    04-26-11 04:10 PM
    i have a single dead pixel off to the side, doesnt bother me as much as the PB i had before where it was closer to center. will this problem be continuously arising on a PB that already has a dead pixel? i can live with one, but cant live with more dead pixels. Dont want to return my PB if I dont have to.
    it is possible that its a sign of things to come. its generally best to return when you are still in the 14 day window. if problems do arise later you might not be able to return as easy
    04-26-11 04:53 PM
    I preordered my unit from Staples - realized a dead pixel last night. Wasted 30 minutes while the tech at staples confirmed that it was in fact a dead pixel.

Just got my 9800 bridged (successfully!) only to realize that I have another unit with a dead pixel.

Called back to see if any more in stock and was told to check another store - not a whole lot of help from Staples.

ugh.
    tlbeedy likes this.
    04-26-11 05:26 PM
    returning the 2nd one now. center dead pixel. so is this happening to a specific version?
    i thought it maybe affecting the 32 gigs only what do u guys have. if no 64 ones r affected im going to upgrade to that version
    04-26-11 06:00 PM
    returning the 2nd one now. center dead pixel. so is this happening to a specific version?
    i thought it maybe affecting the 32 gigs only what do u guys have. if no 64 ones r affected im going to upgrade to that version
    Two 16gd PlayBook's with dead pixels + four I went through at Office Max...

I'm going to try Best Buy tomorrow - anyone know if any place is doing a deal with free accessories when you buy a PB?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Lucky45; 04-27-11 at 05:41 PM.
    04-26-11 06:08 PM
    My two PB's with dead pixels were from best buy. Both were 16GB.
    04-26-11 06:22 PM
    Well.. I decided to get another one. Was actually excited to open a fourth playbook, despite having been through the tutorial so many times. Yet again, a dead pixel on the side of the screen. I'm returning it for my money back and will wait until next year and see if they can't work this problem out.

I totally understand that these things happen in manufacturing, but I have never had four devices in a row show up with a dead pixel. Clearly they are using really low quality producers in China.

I'm pretty disappointed, really liked the PB. It is a great operating system!
    04-26-11 06:40 PM
    All right, just got back from Best Buy with Playbook #7. That's right, 7.
    After I saw my 3rd PB with the dust under the screen, I took it back for an exchange. Luckily, this Best Buy had a bunch of PB 32GB in stock. The poor Best Buy chap got one out, turned it on for me, and I immediately pointed out one hot pixel on the right edge of the screen. So . . . that was packaged back up, and out comes PB #5.

PB #5 seriously had more than a dozen dead pixels along the right side of the screen. At this point, the employee was getting really really really impatient, as I could tell by his body language.

PB #6 was the best one. Seriously, a line going from top to bottom on the right side of the screen.

PB #7: NO DEAD PIXELS OR DUST UNDER THE SCREEN! Took that baby right out of the store.

Setting it up right now. I hope RIM doesn't lose any money over this from me. At the same time, I think Best Buy is going to sell PB #4-6 that I left at the store as new. They were packaged right back up and put back on the shelf. In fact, I get a feeling the reason I got the series of bad screens today is because I was probably going through dead pixel returns.
    Last edited by boldman4; 04-26-11 at 07:32 PM.
    04-26-11 07:30 PM
    I didnt have any dead pixels until tonight. One dead pixel in the dead center of the screen. Has anyone ever had a dead pixel come back to life?
    04-26-11 07:38 PM
    I didnt have any dead pixels until tonight. One dead pixel in the dead center of the screen. Has anyone ever had a dead pixel come back to life?
    You can try one of the pixel removing apps. But even if it goes away, there are no guarantees that the fix is permanent. I would exchange it.
    04-26-11 07:44 PM
    My 32 GB PB has a stuck pixel on the lower left hand side that comes and goes. I called Staples and they are sending a courier to my house to bring me a new one. I will make sure to turn the PB on in front of the courier and inspect the screen before he leaves.

A part of me wonders if the screen issues may have something to do with the fact Apple has locked up contracts with the major screen providers leaving RIM and other manufacturers to scratch and claw to fill orders with possibly inferior screen parts and providers. Again I have no evidence of this and I do not know how the process to secure parts and providers works, I have just had this on my mind since reading about and experiencing screen issues.
    04-26-11 07:49 PM
    So, is my pixel "stuck" or "dead"? It is white on a black background. It works correctly on any other color.
    04-26-11 08:21 PM
    So, is my pixel "stuck" or "dead"? It is white on a black background. It works correctly on any other color.
    Probably stuck, from what I've read a dead pixel is black all the time.
    04-26-11 08:25 PM
80 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD