I've got a 32gb PB with two dead pixels. One is tiny - hardly noticeable beacue of it's location and size. The other is top center and noticeable especially on dark backgrounds. I've got an RMA from RIM....but am concerned that sending back my PB might result in a worse situtaion after I get it back (based on some of the posts I've read) about similar situations.

Board's opinion ? Worth the bother ? Or my 'right' to have a perfect screen for the $ 600 I paid ?

Is there a formal or informal policy afa dead pixels go ? One is acceptable, two is not ? Or simply if it doesn't bother you then don't bother kind of thing. I already sent my PB bakc for a defective power button which was fixed in a timely manner.......

Take a chance ?
    10-05-11 10:42 AM
    I don't think you have to settle, get it fixed especially if one of the dead pixel is noticeable.

I'm trying to get an RMA as well but haven't heard back from RIM support yet (via e-mail)...how long do they usually take?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-05-11 11:30 AM
    I've got a 32gb PB with two dead pixels. One is tiny - hardly noticeable beacue of it's location and size. The other is top center and noticeable especially on dark backgrounds. I've got an RMA from RIM....but am concerned that sending back my PB might result in a worse situtaion after I get it back (based on some of the posts I've read) about similar situations.

Board's opinion ? Worth the bother ? Or my 'right' to have a perfect screen for the $ 600 I paid ?

Is there a formal or informal policy afa dead pixels go ? One is acceptable, two is not ? Or simply if it doesn't bother you then don't bother kind of thing. I already sent my PB bakc for a defective power button which was fixed in a timely manner.......

Take a chance ?
    I would try a hard restart just for the h ell of it.
    10-05-11 11:36 AM
    You could also try one of the free screen display apps that force color changes - maybe some quick exercising of the colors could unstick it.

But there is the recent thread where rim did not consider a blown pixel a problem worthy of repair but only after it was sent to them. I've read over the years that manufacturers believe a bad pixel or two is not considered a defect. I'd not be happy with that definition but.....
    10-05-11 12:16 PM
    You could also try one of the free screen display apps that force color changes - maybe some quick exercising of the colors could unstick it.

But there is the recent thread where rim did not consider a blown pixel a problem worthy of repair but only after it was sent to them. I've read over the years that manufacturers believe a bad pixel or two is not considered a defect. I'd not be happy with that definition but.....
    F2 - thanks for the suggestion. Do you have a name for that SCREEN DISPLAY APP you mentioned ? In APPWORLD ? FOBERRY - also thanks for your comment. I find it a lot faster if you call. If you still have support within 90 days they respond well. Via email your wait is going to be a lot longer - my response took threee days. My first repair experience was positive - they handled it fast (surprisingly). This time round I am nervous to send it due to the "not considered a defect" noted in above repsonse....Shootscores I did try a hard reeset. No help
    10-05-11 02:09 PM
    Screen Helper lite should do the trick. You may need to run it a few times or purchase the full version that runs for a lot longer. Ive used this app for one stuck pixel and it cleared after the second run. Worth a try!
    10-05-11 02:21 PM
    The free one I have is Display Test in app world.
    10-05-11 03:04 PM
    I tried the apps that supposed to fix dead pixel but didn't work.it almost burn the screen of my pb because I left it on for 24 hoursdead pixels on pb is normal almost every single one has them.

10-05-11 03:53 PM
    My PB bought from Sears has a blue stuck pixel near the center and two small dust particles stuck under the screen near top center.

My second PB from online order had a cluster of dark gray pixels showing up at the 'a' key location when I ran the initial setup. So I went to local futureshop to exchange for in-store stock. No luck whatsoever, I ended up going through two more exchanges and a total of 4 PBs including my online purchase. All has a combination of dead/stuck pixels and dust particles under the screen. At that point, I pretty much gave up.

The first exchange I got from futureshop had two glaringly visible dust particles under the screen along with 2 lit/white pixel on black background. The second one had at least 7 dust particles under the screen and spreaded out in the top half of the screen. Going for the third time charm, it looked a lot better in the store when customer service asked me to open it and just check it there. No dust particles. But after I got home and turning it on, 4 or 5 lit/white pixel immediately showed up in the dark background during initial setup. A red stuck pixel also showed up on black background near the top center of the screen.

I kept the first one I purchased which has a stuck blue pixel. It's actually a lot better than the 4 I went through.

I wouldn't risk returning it if it's just one pixel. It just seems that they got quality control issues with the screen.
    10-05-11 03:56 PM
    I tried the apps that supposed to fix dead pixel but didn't work.it almost burn the screen of my pb because I left it on for 24 hoursdead pixels on pb is normal almost every single one has them.

So how many dead pixels do you have and are you going to do anything about it ? Thanks to all others who replied with APPS that ight help. I willl try tonight.
    10-05-11 03:56 PM
    My PB bought from Sears has a blue stuck pixel near the center and two small dust particles stuck under the screen near top center.

My second PB from online order had a cluster of dark gray pixels showing up at the 'a' key location when I ran the initial setup. So I went to local futureshop to exchange for in-store stock. No luck whatsoever, I ended up going through two more exchanges and a total of 4 PBs including my online purchase. All has a combination of dead/stuck pixels and dust particles under the screen. At that point, I pretty much gave up.

The first exchange I got from futureshop had two glaringly visible dust particles under the screen along with 2 lit/white pixel on black background. The second one had at least 7 dust particles under the screen and spreaded out in the top half of the screen. Going for the third time charm, it looked a lot better in the store when customer service asked me to open it and just check it there. No dust particles. But after I got home and turning it on, 4 or 5 lit/white pixel immediately showed up in the dark background during initial setup. A red stuck pixel also showed up on black background near the top center of the screen.

I kept the first one I purchased which has a stuck blue pixel. It's actually a lot better than the 4 I went through.

I wouldn't risk returning it if it's just one pixel. It just seems that they got quality control issues with the screen.
    I have to say that I am thinking the same thing here.
    10-05-11 03:59 PM
    So how many dead pixels do you have and are you going to do anything about it ? Thanks to all others who replied with APPS that ight help. I willl try tonight.
    I have more than 5.I'm ok with with because they are not big.I've read a lot of pb owners complain about it.I found out that I have dead pixels after 30 days so too late to returned.

10-05-11 04:04 PM
    I've got one, its common.. I wouldn't sweat it, at first it pissed me off, now I don't even notice it unless I am looking for it.

Diesel
    10-05-11 04:43 PM
    You are going to all of that hassle for a dead pixel? Little excessive don't you think....
    10-05-11 04:57 PM

^ Completely false assertion.
    10-05-11 05:02 PM
    Do they usually occur right out of the box or over time? I have purchased 3 PB's 2 recently and 1 over a month ago through staples and non have this issue out the box.

10-05-11 05:02 PM
    I can vouch that they can happen over time. Atleast for stuck pixels. I was always under the impression that they come out of the factory with whatever stuck/dead pixels they will ever had and that it can't get worse.

My PB was absolutely pristine when I bought it, after about 2 months, some blue stuck pixels appeared.

As far as sending it in for repair....some people have had good success.

Me on the other hand, have had the worst RMA experience I've ever dealt with. Initiated on the 13th of Sept, still going on, approaching a month.....and it all started because of stuck pixels

sacrifice a goat to the technology gods before your send in the device for repair if you must
    10-05-11 10:10 PM
    I've returned numerous playbooks with pixel issues out of the box, in fact it was so frustrating that I gave up on purchasing a Playbook which forced me to try almost every tablet know to mankind including ipad 2. But in the end I got a pristine playbook the hero of tablets
    10-06-11 09:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD