CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Data transfer from PC to playbook

I am unable to transfer any data from PC to laptop. What I have been doing is going to desktop manager and trying to transfer files. I get amessage that permissible is required. Please help on resolving this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Are you trying to connect through windows explorer?
    Then you'll need to connect first (enter the password) to connect the playbook to your network
    Windows explorer -> network (right mouse button) -> add network drive -> choose a drive letter + add your Playbook credentials
    Pay attention, the playbook had to be on the same workgroup as your pc

I find the easiest way is to map the PB as a network drive (over WiFi) on the PC. Here's one thread with some info Cannot wirelessly transfer files to Playbook or search this forum using keywords "map drive" for more.
    <a href="http://www.galatis.de/starboard.php?d=5518"><!-- Something special for the spammers --></a>
    CrackBerry... where only Stupid People fight about Smart Phones
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    PIN
    28A4C625

Default Data transfer from PC to playbook

Make sure you have you "File Shairing" and Wi-Fi sharing options turned on in your settings.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    BlackBerry Bold 9900 Powered by BL Ultimate Hybrid 7.1 RC11B1 (825 base + 714 Sfi)

BlackBerry PlayBook 16GB 2.1.0.1314
    CrackBerry Abuser

I use Ghost Commander to copy all the files across from my pc and nas. Its free and very simple to use.
    CrackBerry Abuser

From PC to Playbook, what I do is enable file sharing on Playbook, then I enter "\\192.168.*.***" (playbook ip address) on PC windows. Easy as 1,2,3.
    Hence the backslash not forwardslash.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickrick View Post
    I use Ghost Commander to copy all the files across from my pc and nas. Its free and very simple to use.
    Since this is the second time I've seen you comment on this, maybe you can help the less network knowledgeable (ME) figure out how to access my Win Vista 64 system. The only "folder" or "place" I seem to be able to access is something labeled "Public" and frankly, there is not much in that "place" that I care to access.

When I tap "Windows share" I get the log on screen where is wants various info. I've got the ip address 192.168.1.108 and then a UserName of "guest" but no other info. When I okay that I get a list of "folders"

admins/
    cs/
    ps/
    prints/
    public/

If I tap any of them other than "public/" I get another log on screen with the ip address above and "guest" filled in but I have no idea of a password. (I don't believe I have one on the Windows computer - at least, I don't enter a password when I restart my Vista pc. Also, I don't know where any of those other place lead anyway. I would love to get to my usb-tetrabyte drive hooked up to my router.

Any assistance would be appreciated that does not require an advanced degree in Networking (although I was a cobol programmer back in the dark ages).

Thanks in advance.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by F2 View Post
    Since this is the second time I've seen you comment on this, maybe you can help the less network knowledgeable (ME) figure out how to access my Win Vista 64 system. The only "folder" or "place" I seem to be able to access is something labeled "Public" and frankly, there is not much in that "place" that I care to access.

When I tap "Windows share" I get the log on screen where is wants various info. I've got the ip address 192.168.1.108 and then a UserName of "guest" but no other info. When I okay that I get a list of "folders"

admins/
    cs/
    ps/
    prints/
    public/

If I tap any of them other than "public/" I get another log on screen with the ip address above and "guest" filled in but I have no idea of a password. (I don't believe I have one on the Windows computer - at least, I don't enter a password when I restart my Vista pc. Also, I don't know where any of those other place lead anyway. I would love to get to my usb-tetrabyte drive hooked up to my router.

Any assistance would be appreciated that does not require an advanced degree in Networking (although I was a cobol programmer back in the dark ages).

Thanks in advance.
    For Vista and 7 the generic shared account is 'Public'. If you want access to your account, set a password for it and access it via user@ip/share_name
    CrackBerry Newbie

I will be grateful if some one could explain step by step. My playbook is not on wifi. I was trying to transfer the data through data cable. How do I fill up the playbook credentials. yb
    Quote Originally Posted by BestWildcard View Post
    Are you trying to connect through windows explorer?
    Then you'll need to connect first (enter the password) to connect the playbook to your network
    Windows explorer -> network (right mouse button) -> add network drive -> choose a drive letter + add your Playbook credentials
    Pay attention, the playbook had to be on the same workgroup as your pc
    CrackBerry Newbie

Using a data cable it should be straightforward. You'll need playbook drivers installed and a bit of patience.
    Install the drivers I can't recall whether Windows does this automatically or you need to install the desktop manager to do this - I think it's the latter but I can't remember. It's probably in the instructions from RIM or elsewhere on this forum.
    Now, when you connect your switched on playback by cable have a little patience. If you get an "installing device drivers" notification on your pc, don't panic, just wait. Wait a bit longer and you'll get a notification telling you that a connection is being initialized and then another telling you your playbook has been given a drive letter - I can't recall the exact messages. It does take longer to do this than you might expect, so use that patience I referred to earlier. Now on your pc click on Start > Computer and you should see the the playbook listed there under the heading "Network Location" as drive Z probably. Double click on that and you should get an explorer panel you can use to transfer files to and from your playbook with as you would between any windows locations. Your playbook will display a "Connected To Computer" panel - you can dismiss this or not as you prefer, and Desktop manager may open when you connect, but you don't have to use it.
    (I'm referring to Windows 7 here, by the way, but I guess it's much the same with other windows versions as long as they're not too old.)
    CrackBerry Newbie

I could finally do it. It was as simple copying and pasting it from folder on PC to folder on Playbook. Thanks for all those who replied.