So, a week ago I was trying to remove some belongings from my car for towing due to a breakdown and dropped my Playbook (while it was in the sleeve). Wound up with three or four diagonal cracks down the screen's glass. The touchscreen still works fine, but since I didn't get the accident coverage when activated last winter (was still recovery from gall bladder removal), what can I do about this short of buying another playbook?
    05-14-12 12:23 PM
    If the screen is still usable and the cracks are not felt as you swipe across the glass you could continue using it as-is. Or you could locate a repair facility that specializes in replacing tablet screens. Next time be more careful and buy your tablet an OtterBox Defender case to protect it from Y-O-U.

Luckily, you didn't drop one of your children, if you have any, on their head and crack their face.
    05-14-12 12:37 PM
    If your comfortable repairing things your self you can buy a digitizer here.
    Amazon.com: Touch Screen Digitizer Front Glass Faceplate Lens Part Panel for Blackberry Playbook ~ Tablet Repair Parts Replacement: Computers & Accessories

It is glued to a metal frame and will take some skill and patients to remove it. Another alternative is to buy a digitizer already mounted to the metal frame. Those are more difficult to find and more expensive but easier to install.

All depends on your skill level.

There are a couple threads here if you do a search. Some successful repairs.
    05-14-12 12:44 PM
    how much rim charges for the protection? If it is still $100 then even if you get the new playbook it's still not worth it to get the protection plan. Unless they lower the protection price recently.
    05-14-12 12:44 PM
    If your comfortable repairing things your self you can buy a digitizer here.
    Amazon.com: Touch Screen Digitizer Front Glass Faceplate Lens Part Panel for Blackberry Playbook ~ Tablet Repair Parts Replacement: Computers & Accessories

It is glued to a metal frame and will take some skill and patients to remove it. Another alternative is to buy a digitizer already mounted to the metal frame. Those are more difficult to find and more expensive but easier to install.

All depends on your skill level.

There are a couple threads here if you do a search. Some successful repairs.
    $50 just for the parts... it's better to just buy a new playbook... i wonder how much RIM will charge for that kind of repair.
    05-14-12 12:46 PM
    Wow. You have been having a bad year.

You might try looking for a used/non-working Playbook on e-bay and swap parts.
    Chaddface likes this.
    05-14-12 12:47 PM
    $50 just for the parts... it's better to just buy a new playbook... i wonder how much RIM will charge for that kind of repair.
    If you don't feel comfortable doing that kind of repair then I would agree. For $50 I would give it a shot. $100 or more I would buy another new 16g.
    05-14-12 12:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD