I suggest that Kevin wait for the updates and complete a re-review in time for the UK Launch June 16? Hopefully we can get in 1-2 updates with some more goodies along the way.
    This is a good suggestion. Reading through this thread, it seems like 90% of the issues users have are software/apps related, which will take time to be resolved. A meaningful re-review down the road a few months would be more useful and relevant.
    05-18-11 08:00 AM
    bb bridge is the biggest reason i bought a pb. i thought it is a clever idea..i wish it could have a wifi bb bridge, then i can put my bb at my office while using my pb to check emails at office toilet..i don't need a native email client..bb bridge fits my need perfectly..browser is slower than ipad but it is quick enough for me, i have no issue waiting for a couple of seconds more to load web pages..all in, i absolutely love playbook.
    05-18-11 08:50 AM
    First of all, I currently own a MacBook Pro, a 32 GB Verizon iPhone, and a 32 GB AT&T 3G iPad as well as other Apple products. I am a HUGE fan of Apple with a very open mind to other platforms and devices out there. I am a Tech Geek and loving learning new things. With that setup, here are my answers:

What was your primary reason for choosing the PlayBook?

I wanted to enjoy the ability to utilize multiple platforms on one device. I love the size and form factor. I know it sounds silly, but I was looking for something in between my iPhone and iPad sizewise, but most importantly, the multiple platforms are what got me to decide to get the Playbook.

What are you loving/value most about the PlayBook?

I love the retina display on my iPhone, but WOW that 7 inch screen on this Playbook really impresses me. I am blown away watching the crystal clear HD Videos and photos. The colors pop! I also really appreciate the contrast levels.

I am surprised HP is not suing Blackberry as this definitely acts like WebOS. I like the way it multi-tasks, the speed has been instantaneous. The scrolling is smooth, I particularly like the way they kind of overlappingly (is that a word? ) scroll through photos. It's very fluid. I am also happy with the spreadsheet programs.

The cameras offer great quality as well.

Are there any things you're not liking/wish were different?

Purchasing this early in it's life, I know I have to be very forgiving in regards to shortcomings, I know these issues will improve. On that note, I don't think I would see a lot of arguments when I say they released this a little too early. Many say that, but don't elaborate. So what I mean is aside from Bridge, which I cannot use, I would really like to see integrated organizational tools like calendar, contacts, email, the things Blackberry does well at.

I also had a VERY hard time in AppWorld. I had Blackberry phones for years. Using my normal ID I was able to get into the device, but it wouldn't allow me to download or purchase any Apps. After much research, I was taken to a page that told me to sign in with my Blackberry ID, then plug the Blackberry Device that I no longer own into my computer to update my information in AppWorld as they have changed things since I last used it. So the only fix I had was to create a whole new ID, and because they had my current email address, I had to create a whole new email address to be able to use AppWorld. This is annoying.

I would also like to see Skype! This would allow true cross platform video chat.

What features do you want to see come to the PlayBook asap?

Skype and ANDROID!!!!!

And anything else you think is relevant....

One thing I would never do is directly compare platforms. Each device has it's own unique pros and cons. I don't get involved with my device is better than yours disputes. IOS does what I need it to do, and it does it well for me as Blackberry had done for me for many years.

What I would compare right now is the usage. My iPad virtually eliminated a need for a computer.....almost. It offers features that take care of most of the things my MacBook offers in terms of regular computing needs. I will of course always NEED the laptop for video and photo editing, and more complex things my iPad cannot do....plus of course I need to keep my iPad updated and backed up. But I find I have not gone a full day without picking up my iPad. Why am I referring so much to that device? Because I am looking for Playbook to be a more portable version of what my iPad does....so far it handles 1/4 of it. When PIM functions get introduced, it will get me 3/4 and when more and more apps become available, particularly Kindle, Nook, and magazines and newspapers, it will be precisely what I hoped it to be, plus I get to enjoy both Blackberry AND Android which as I stated up front was my primary reason for wanting to own one.
    05-18-11 09:36 AM

Honestly, it was the only Tablet I would be able to expense through work

The portability. I travel alot with work and its so nice not to lug a laptop around. I also love the QNX O/S.

I'm still torn on the 7inch vs 10inch form factor. Although I value the portability of it I will still likely grab a 10inch when it is launched. I wish the product were more polished and that the app integration were there now. I realize that all of this is coming and I am prepared to wait.

Auto correction and native integrated email and calendars are a must have for me. After that would be more business related apps. I really want a polished note taking app which I can use a pen with and I have not seen any that are truly business ready yet.

I think it is obvious (and I mean no slight at RIM when I say this) that we are indeed Beta testers for the Playbook. Having said that, I knew that was the case when I bought mine and I am enjoying my device.
    Last edited by Kanuck34; 05-18-11 at 12:44 PM.
    05-18-11 09:45 AM

Honeslty it was because I have been devout rim since 02. I did think about an ipad2 because of some build quality issues over the last few years but I figured if I hated it, I could always return it.

Multitasking and portability. It fits in my coach purse along with my other essentials.

Bbm, windows live messenger and push email. This really should have been done from the beginning.

Quality control. I had to return 2 to get one that was proper. One had a dead pixel and the other had a power button that was pretty much unusable. It would take 5 or 6 very hard presses to get it to turn off or on.

ALSO.... I'm curious to know now that you've owned a PlayBook, what do you think of all those initial reviews... we're they fair? too harsh??

I believe so. I think a lot of people had it pegged for a failure before it even launched and a lot of places that had demos never had it set up for wifi which really does not allow you to see how great the browsing and facebook app is. That being said, I really agree that email and I'm'ing should have been out of the box.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-11 10:54 AM

To bridge with my Blackberry phone, making it easier to see and type. I bought the Docs ToGo suite for my Blackberry, but its kind of a pain on such a small screen.

The display. I really went in to buy the Playbook, but it was set up next to a bunch of Xooms. There is no comparison between the display screens. Playbook is brilliant.
    The Sheets To Go app is crap.That is important to me. It has to work like Excel, but it doesnt work at all. Total crap!
    Sheets To Go fully functioning. Cross platform video chat
    05-19-11 09:59 AM
    I'm going to reiterate what donnation has said:

Needs auto correct
    Bad text selection- needs to be easier
    Need to be able to organize my favorites in the Browser
    Can't hide icons
    Poor app selection and most in the app store are trash
    Videos need folders so I can separate my videos from movies
    Document organization sucks

Come on RIM - make this device kick *** and as awesome as we know it can be !!!
    trsbbs likes this.
    06-20-11 10:49 PM
    I'm going to reiterate what donnation has said:

Needs auto correct
    Bad text selection- needs to be easier
    Need to be able to organize my favorites in the Browser
    Can't hide icons
    Poor app selection and most in the app store are trash
    Videos need folders so I can separate my videos from movies
    Document organization sucks

Come on RIM - make this device kick *** and as awesome as we know it can be !!!
    The nice thing is that the improvements in the last month are happening in the core functionality of the PB.

Bridge and web browsing has improved greatly.
    Autocorrect, text selection, organization are smaller layers on top, this can be done further down the line.
    06-20-11 10:53 PM
133 ... 456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD