Well this forum alone has swayed my decision towards the Playbook. Just the excitement alone here made me take a much harder look at the playbook and Im liking what I see. Cant wait till the reviews of consumers actually start showing up. Also for people where money may be a issue I found HSN actually has them for sale with 3 flex pay option. You may pay about 80$ more in long run but spread over 3 months may be help out for some. Hoping the Playbook lives up to expectations here
    04-13-11 11:21 AM
    why not save the money for 3 months and save the $80?
    04-13-11 11:33 AM
    I have been trying to get excited about tablets and the Playbook. I cannot.

I have a powerful laptop and a backup laptop - the old one before the new one - duh.

I have a decent desktop that almost never gets used other than as a backup device. They all run Windows 7 (x64).

I have an iPod in the car and an 80Gb iPod for travelling.

I have a Kindle that has over 350 books on it.

I just cannot see a place for a tablet in my life. Is is me or what?
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    04-13-11 11:41 AM

I have a powerful laptop and a backup laptop - the old one before the new one - duh.

I have a decent desktop that almost never gets used other than as a backup device. They all run Windows 7 (x64).

If the desktop can run FSX with the sliders all up, please send it to me right away. I'm about to buy a new PC for photo editing and some simming. I feel the NEED for SPEED!!

It's you. One day you'll walk into a store with just the right tablet for you, and you will cave in. (I mean geez, look at all the toys you have already!)
    04-13-11 11:43 AM
    Yea I agree Im not going that route but did think about it. I just thought I would put it out there for some people. I think the payments are 193 a piece (its changed a few times depending on 4 payments or 3) that may not have the 499 up front or dont want to pay it up front. I have decided to wait till I get to play with it first before my final decision
    04-13-11 11:45 AM
    They are selling the 16gb at $579.95. At Best Buy the 16gb is $499.99. No savings there.
    04-13-11 11:45 AM
    If the desktop can run FSX with the sliders all up, please send it to me right away. I'm about to buy a new PC for photo editing and some simming. I feel the NEED for SPEED!!

It's you. One day you'll walk into a store with just the right tablet for you, and you will cave in. (I mean geez, look at all the toys you have already!)
    Yeah, I understand toys , like you say. I have lots.

It's not a question of caving in. I understand that too. I know that the only way Mrs. Pete6 can get rid of temptation is to give in - at least where shopping is concerned .

I almost feel guilty that I cannot fit a PlayBook into my life - yet.
    04-13-11 12:03 PM
    Go with the "My eyes are getting too old to see the screen on my BB. Need the 7" with Bridge.".

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-13-11 12:08 PM

Perhaps, but what device do you have that you can use to read a bit of a book, then listen to some music, then watch part of a movie, then surf the internet on... while comfortably holding in your hands while using the toilet?

That's where the playbook comes in.
    04-13-11 12:21 PM
    Perhaps, but what device do you have that you can use to read a bit of a book, then listen to some music, then watch part of a movie, then surf the internet on... while comfortably holding in your hands while using the toilet?

That's where the playbook comes in.
    Hmmm. That sounds like a solution looking for a problem.

Music: I have just finished rebuilding a 1960s tube amplifier and I am awaiting delivery if a pair of folded horn speakers. My Transcriptors turntable

has been completely rebuilt and is ready to go.

Reading: The Kindle is hard to beat. It goes for 2 weeks on a single charge. I have a large number of books that I have purchased for it and from what I read, Amazon are currently not developing a Kindle reader for the PlayBook so, unless the PlayBook can read DRM Kindle files (unlikely) that's no good to me.

Movies: I have a large flat screen TV. I do watch moves on my laptop but I tend to connect the HDMI port to the TV screen.

Internet on the toilet: Nah, not for me thanks. Nice try though.

Please do not get me wrong. I like the PlayBook. I am just having trouble findign a space for it in my life. Maybe I am just toooooo o l d.
    04-13-11 12:38 PM
    Pete, I'm w/ you. I don't have a need for a tablet quite yet. I have a relatively new laptop (purchased last May) that's still in pristine condition. I have an awesome smartphone. Between the two, I'm set. Maybe in a couple years when I'm ready to get a new laptop, we'll see how far tablets have progressed. Maybe I'll forgo the laptop in favor of a tablet. But, it is a ton of fun to read the PB forum because of all the anticipation!
    04-13-11 12:52 PM

Naw Pete it isn't just you, you're being practical about it. Now if you just want it there is nothing wrong with that as long you can afford it.
    04-13-11 01:01 PM
    Contrary to popular belief on this particular forum, some people just don't need a tablet. Yes, blasphemy, I know. Now if you took frequent trips where mobility was a requirement, you'd be a shoe-in for a PlayBook
    04-13-11 01:09 PM

If I'm not mistaken the items I highlighted in bold could all be replace with one device : The Playbook.

Like you said the only item I'm also not sure it will read are the Kindle books. But If I remember correctly Kobo app exist on the Playbook. If so you could convert your Kindle files into Kobo supported files if you want to go this route...
    04-13-11 01:19 PM

You probably never tried browsing the web on a tablet like the iPad, for example.
    04-13-11 01:20 PM
    Pete you are absolutely correct.
    No one 'really' needs the Playbook, iPad or another coming tablet. Perhaps in five years we will look back and say that whole tablet thing was really dumb; our current 'yadaya' is superior, just like that old fashion facebook and twitter we used to use.

It takes older folk who have gone through a complete revolution in technology in only twenty or so years to smell the roses. My first computer was a Commodore 64 purchased in ToysRUs. Now computers are a commodity. Remember the stock market boom for the Internet marvel Netscape in the 1980's? (If you do not know what I mean, do a Google search for the history of Netscape).

Speaking about the Flip Video Camera, in today's NYTimes, "four years from hot startup to obsolete". They say, Smart Phones have so many features that they obsolete wrist watches, walkman's, video cameras, personal schedulers, and dedicated gps devices ... all in the space of less then four years.

We can not imagine what 'things' we find essential today will be past history in the very near future.

That being said, I put in a pre-order for a PB. Why? I have a present business need, specifically to make presentations with an easy to carry device. And, to carry promo material. My Thinkpad laptop is often not a practical alternative.
    Last edited by mandony; 04-13-11 at 01:26 PM.
    04-13-11 01:21 PM
    Naw Pete it isn't just you, you're being practical about it. Now if you just want it there is nothing wrong with that as long you can afford it.
    You may just be right there. The next time I get to visit my son in Charlotte, NC and we are together in the local Best Buy, and I get to play with a PlayBook, I can see my Debit Card taking a dent and me having to explain to Mrs. Pete6 just why my life needs this new toy.

I guess you know how that goes...
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    04-13-11 01:21 PM
    You may just be right there. The next time I get to visit my son in Charlotte, NC and we are together in the local Best Buy, and I get to play with a PlayBook, I can see my Debit Card taking a dent and me having to explain to Mrs. Pete6 just why my life needs this new toy.

LOL! You've changed your mind already? That was quick!!
    04-13-11 03:49 PM
    Hmmm. That sounds like a solution looking for a problem.

Music: I have just finished rebuilding a 1960s tube amplifier and I am awaiting delivery if a pair of folded horn speakers. My Transcriptors turntable

has been completely rebuilt and is ready to go.

Reading: The Kindle is hard to beat. It goes for 2 weeks on a single charge. I have a large number of books that I have purchased for it and from what I read, Amazon are currently not developing a Kindle reader for the PlayBook so, unless the PlayBook can read DRM Kindle files (unlikely) that's no good to me.

Movies: I have a large flat screen TV. I do watch moves on my laptop but I tend to connect the HDMI port to the TV screen.

Internet on the toilet: Nah, not for me thanks. Nice try though.

Please do not get me wrong. I like the PlayBook. I am just having trouble findign a space for it in my life. Maybe I am just toooooo o l d.
    That TT looks considerably more elaborate than my Linn LP12.
    04-13-11 03:50 PM
    Contrary to popular belief on this particular forum, some people just don't need a tablet. Yes, blasphemy, I know. Now if you took frequent trips where mobility was a requirement, you'd be a shoe-in for a PlayBook
    You mean like to the bathroom?? hehe
    04-13-11 03:51 PM

woah your son be close to me :P
    04-13-11 04:00 PM

You have everything...so probably the tablet is not your best option.

I have a laptop that is old and needs an upgrade....
    My music is on my torch/home desktop..

I was thinking of ditching the laptop and going tablet------------however.. my last business trip i went to Brazil for 2 weeks. In 3 different hotels-- they DID NOT offer wireless internet--- only WIRED internet.... with a laptop no problem----- but with a tablet would have been SOL.

I was gunho about getting the playbook... but im gonna wait and see the reviews... probably will get it regardless...
    04-13-11 04:29 PM
    If I'm not mistaken the items I highlighted in bold could all be replace with one device : The Playbook.

Like you said the only item I'm also not sure it will read are the Kindle books. But If I remember correctly Kobo app exist on the Playbook. If so you could convert your Kindle files into Kobo supported files if you want to go this route...
    LOL that's what I saw in that post...pretty true
    Now a days we're in the business of consolidation, not trying to over-reach and just use what we have. Tools evolve, and so should we...

just my opinion
    04-13-11 05:53 PM
    I feel like it would be most handy for when you are traveling
    On the road, from hotel to hotel. I wish I had one during my vacation
    Checking the weather..Weather radar. Traffic, road conditions on google maps.
    04-13-11 06:14 PM
    That TT looks considerably more elaborate than my Linn LP12.
    You Linn works better though.

The Transcriptor line was developed in teh late 1960s. I got my current one in 1972. At the time it was the best.

Linn-Sondek came along later with therit glass tables and direct drive and this proved a far better solution.

However, I am still in love with my Transcriptor.
    04-14-11 06:23 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD