Had the PB for almost 2 years and now it starts to mess around.

I added a WiFi AP in my house today to improve the WiFi coverage upstairs. Migrated all devices including laptops, iPads, 9900 and 9810 over to the new AP under a new SSID without issue. All connect and function as they should with improved coverage.

Attempting to browse on the PB however, the progress bar only gets about 1/3 of the way and I keep getting the "Couldn't resolve host name." error. I've googled around and couldn't seem to find a definitive resolution to this issue. I've tried rebooting, deleting all previous WiFi connections, manually adding the new AP, adding the new AP without IP auto detect, and emptying all temp internet files.

Not really sure what to try next. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
    10-30-12 11:16 PM
    I' m facing the same issue since day 1. Don't have any idea on what would be the source of the problem. Yet another mysterious issue given away by RIM. The only way to make it work is to click on the url bar and press Enter to refresh the page. Sometimes I have to refresh twice or more to get through it.
    10-31-12 06:45 AM
    Was it able to browse before adding the AP?

Is the PlayBook able to connect to another WIFI network?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    jbhq likes this.
    10-31-12 07:02 AM
    Manually set your DNS settings:

8.8.8.8 (Google DNS)

208.67.222.222 (Open DNS)

Try that.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    10-31-12 08:50 PM
    Just have the same issue the same day as yours ???
    11-02-12 06:26 PM
    surprisingly ... i only turned off my playbook and my modem and my playbook wifi comes to life again... did it before but restarting only but nothing happens for 2 days... or probably just a co -incidence.. nway , im happy to be playing with my PB again
    11-02-12 07:57 PM
    HI. With the Playbook Browser open, I just pulled down the window with "settings" and changed the domain name from Blackberry.com to Google.ca and this worked. Of course you could change it to any domain name you want. Good luck.
    11-03-12 07:21 PM
    I see that now and again on both PB's and my laptop. It use to happen most often when I was in the end of the house with weak wifi so I added a second dir-815 router configured as a wap using the same ssid's on both routers. Now I can wander seamlessly and only seem to get the error now on twitter or sites that are heavily utilized like cnn just before, during and just after Sandy hit so no surprises there.

Basically the error means that your browser was unable to to find the Site you were looking for for some unspecified reason.
    11-03-12 07:37 PM
    Had the PB for almost 2 years and now it starts to mess around.

I added a WiFi AP in my house today to improve the WiFi coverage upstairs. Migrated all devices including laptops, iPads, 9900 and 9810 over to the new AP under a new SSID without issue. All connect and function as they should with improved coverage.

Attempting to browse on the PB however, the progress bar only gets about 1/3 of the way and I keep getting the "Couldn't resolve host name." error. I've googled around and couldn't seem to find a definitive resolution to this issue. I've tried rebooting, deleting all previous WiFi connections, manually adding the new AP, adding the new AP without IP auto detect, and emptying all temp internet files.

Not really sure what to try next. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
    you need restart your modem
    11-03-12 07:40 PM
    you need restart your modem
    Restarting the modem may help some, but my PlayBook suffers constant very short wi-fi drops that result in the same problems. I've tested this - while the PlayBook is disconnecting and reconnecting, my 9900 stays connected. I hope RIM is working on this.

It may or may mot be coincidence, but the problem seemed to get worse when I connected to a second "guest" network that is set up on our router. Maybe it's flipping back and forth as the signal strengths vary? I should add, perhaps apologetically, that we are using an Apple Airport router, so it may be caused by evil engineers in Cupertino.

Irony: I had to type this twice because I lost connection with the server.
    11-03-12 09:01 PM
    I think you can edit the order of wifi connections kind of creating a preference. Why allow it to change?
    11-03-12 09:31 PM
    I think you can edit the order of wifi connections kind of creating a preference. Why allow it to change?
    If someone can figure out how to do this, or how to delete a network, please let me know!
    11-04-12 06:02 AM
    Use the GEAR/Options thingie in the upper Right.

Select Wifi. Use the Drop-down to Select SAVED NETWORKS.

Press and Hold on one of them - move it up for down. Or press the PENCIL (edit) and Delete the one(s) you don't want or need.
    OneArseneWenger likes this.
    11-04-12 08:47 AM
    I had exactly the same problem after setting up multiple access points with the same SSID via WDS (using Tomato firmware on Asus n-16 routers). I could see from the Playbook wifi logs, whenever the PB would connect to the main access point mac address, I would lose networking (even though the wifi indicator was still green) such as not being able to ping the gateway, and getting host not found messages.
    I would turnoff wifi on the PB and turn it back on and everything would work for 30 minutes or so. Very annoying. Finally, I unplugged both routers and powered them up again. I restarted the Playbook as well.
    Now, the wifi on the PB works perfectly and switches seamlessly back and forth between the two access points. I am not sure which reboot fixed it but that was all I did.
    OneArseneWenger likes this.
    11-05-12 12:56 PM
    I just added a dlink extender so that I could reach my easy chair in the basement. I get a strong signal but it comes along with the dreaded couldn't resolve host name error. Any new ideas? I think I have tried all the remedies here.
    03-24-13 06:31 PM
    I just added a dlink extender so that I could reach my easy chair in the basement. I get a strong signal but it comes along with the dreaded couldn't resolve host name error. Any new ideas? I think I have tried all the remedies here.
    I have the same problem.. I can connect my z10 to wifi other than the one here at home. Whenever I connect my phone to the wifi and try to open the browser, it shows "couldn't resolve the host name.. unknown network error..." What seems wrong? My old bb can connect to the wifi easily ... please help!
    04-11-13 03:52 PM