Yes, I just called BB support and was told their servers are down for maintenance and there is nothing that can be done until they are back up. He told me another 2 hours (as of 1:20PM 02/04/12 EST). So This new playbook I bought is literally bricked until they bring their update servers back online.

I really fail to understand why updates should be a blocking function preventing a user from even using their new devices. Personally, if it were up to me, whoever at BB made this decision to design the playbook to behave this way should be fired on the spot. Imagine how many less tech-savvy users are now marching back to the store returning their playbooks because they think they are broken...

Servers go down, I expect and accept that, but preventing me from even using this device because they are down is beyond unacceptable and there is no explanation that would suffice....

Oh well, maybe before I goto bed if I'm lucky I'll get to use this thing...
    (as of 1:20PM 02/04/12 EST) that should of been two hours ago here in the UK. I have just tried to get past the dreaded ' Could not connect to update server' message whislt trying to set-up my shiney new 32g PB, but still no joy. Very disappointed to be honest.
    02-04-12 02:25 PM
    Sorry for your pain. Hope it's up and running soon so you can play.
    02-04-12 02:29 PM
    I understand your pain in not being able to use your new device immediately, and your excitement to get it up and running, but no need to bash the PB just because of a server being down...

At least BB Support was very honest about the servers being down for updating your PB OS. And they are doing everything to get it back up and running as fast as possible.

Severs go down for maintenence all the time, for any site on the web.. banks, online shopping, iTunes updates, etc.

Just my .02 cents.
    Yes I KNOW servers go down all the time, and as I said in my original post I understand an d accept that.

What I don't accept is that BB took the approach that from their perspective it was OK if someone bought a new BB device and was unable to use it simply because they felt it was more important to be using the device with the latest version of the OS. What upsets me is that there is no good reason for it. I bought a samsung Galaxy Player last November and was using it before I registered it. Sure there were things I couldn't do with it, like install apps (free or otherwise) but it was at least not a slab of silicon, pastic and glass sitting in my hands like this PB is right now.

I'm not being unreasonable here, I am trying to point out the absolute stupidity of this decision on BB part to lock people out of a new device simply because their network is down, and now at this point down for hours. BB servers have in the past been down for days. Should I expect to possibly sit waiting on this device till Tuesday?

If there was a valid reason, like it was a cellular device that had to be activated, I could understand, but this isn't, it's a simple wifi-tablet.

Finally, I am not bashing the PB, I am bashing Blackberry the company for such a stupid decision. You should too because stupid moves like this are what are going to send this device and this company into oblivion while Google and Apple pick their bones
    02-04-12 02:42 PM
    Finally, I am not bashing the PB, I am bashing Blackberry the company for such a stupid decision. You should too because stupid moves like this are what are going to send this device and this company into oblivion while Google and Apple pick their bones
    Blackberry is a company? I thought is was a brand of RIM? Hehe
    02-04-12 02:47 PM
    You're right. RIM should look into that. Not sure if it has anything to do with security for enterprise or not.
    02-04-12 02:47 PM
    It is all part of the security of the device. It means that before the device is used it is setup securely. You have to remember that the target market for this was government and corporations.

In addition, it will prevent stolen PlayBooks from becoming active. The update server will not serve the OS to PlayBooks that have not been "Distributed" through the proper channels.
    02-04-12 02:49 PM
    Isn't that even more reason to make sure the back end infrastructure is totally resilient. Surely 'government and corporations' are even less forgiving than us mere mortals and certainly more valuable I would have thought.

I just bought a 64GB PB this afternoon and now, some 7 hours later totally pi$$ed that I still cannot use it.
    02-04-12 03:10 PM
    It is all part of the security of the device. It means that before the device is used it is setup securely. You have to remember that the target market for this was government and corporations.

In addition, it will prevent stolen PlayBooks from becoming active. The update server will not serve the OS to PlayBooks that have not been "Distributed" through the proper channels.
    Your probably dead-on in that assessment, it's still a ridiculous move that can only cost them customers, not to mention there are other ways of dealing with those issues without having new customers go through this experience.

Found a thread on the official playbook forums and it seems everyone who bought one recently is experiencing this, including someone who's been trying since yesterday! Someone else also posted on their that they called tech support and were told 2-5 hours around the same time I was told 2 hours.

This is my first RIM device and almost certainly my last.
    02-04-12 03:14 PM
    Dang. It is a device not the end of the world. Disappointing yes but hardly something that ruins your life.
    02-04-12 03:19 PM
    Dang. It is a device not the end of the world. Disappointing yes but hardly something that ruins your life.
    I'm sure then you wouldn't mind swapping with me. Why don't you express mail me yours and I'll mail you this brick.

You guys keep missing my point and the reason for being upset. It's not that their servers are down, it's that they made a stupid decision to deliberately take this approach, so stupid that it is just one more step toward RIM's grave. If you fanboys really care so much about Playbooks perhaps you'd realize that it's in YOUR best interest that RIM not do this to new customers.

You can think that me and everyone else who's upset is over-reacting, fine but you could also recognize that RIM cannot afford these gaffes and every customer they lose is a customer who's going to buy an ipad or an Android and NEVER come to back to a playbook. Simply recognizing that alone as FACT should make you upset that in a year you might not have a playbook store to buy more apps from because the company got bought and sold for pieces or simply went bankrupt...
    Last edited by dlangh; 02-04-12 at 03:44 PM.
    02-04-12 03:27 PM
    Your probably dead-on in that assessment, it's still a ridiculous move that can only cost them customers, not to mention there are other ways of dealing with those issues without having new customers go through this experience.

Found a thread on the official playbook forums and it seems everyone who bought one recently is experiencing this, including someone who's been trying since yesterday! Someone else also posted on their that they called tech support and were told 2-5 hours around the same time I was told 2 hours.

This is my first RIM device and almost certainly my last.
    Just like there are other ways that you can deal with as well.

I understand how you feel to a degree. But, you have to ask this question; you a man or a boy?
    02-04-12 03:28 PM
    Just spoke to BB support and the guy said 'maybe the servers will be back up tomorrow or Monday'

But it's now working. Yeah.
    02-04-12 03:39 PM
    So is it confirmed - are others able to get to the update servers?

Robsteve???
    02-04-12 03:44 PM
    Just started working here too. For the people with just a browser and setup app, the check for updates button will get you the rest now. Mine is in the process of downloading 83mb of updates.
    02-04-12 03:44 PM
    I'm sure then you wouldn't mind swapping with me. Why don't you express mail me yours and I'll mail you this brick.

You guys keep missing my point and the reason for being upset. It's not that their servers are down, it's that they made a stupid decision to deliberately take this approach, so stupid that it is just one more step toward RIM's grave. If you fanboys really care so much about Playbooks perhaps you'd realize that it's in YOUR best interest that RIM not do this to new customers.

You can think that me and everyone else who's upset is over-reacting, fine but you could also recognize that RIM cannot afford these gaffes and every customer they lose is a customer who's going to buy an ipad or an Android and NEVER come to back to a playbook. Simply recognizing that alone as FACT should make you upset that in a year you might not have a playbook store to buy more apps from because the company got bought and sold for pieces or simply went bankrupt...
    Why don't you do something about it? Why don't you just sell/return the playbook if you feel that strongly about RIM?
    02-04-12 03:49 PM
    Just keep trying.

I rebooted it a few times until it worked.

The servers are either down or congested; sadly, they don't tell the user what to do.
    02-04-12 03:55 PM
    I agreed with you earlier and maybe if it is the only computer you own, which it seems you're posting somehow, then it sucks yes but not that big of a deal.

There are many sites I belong to that down for hours due to maintenance at least a couple times a year. Yes it sucks but not like it has done me any harm.
    02-04-12 03:56 PM
    Thanks for the update on servers!
    After a frustrating morning with the update failures, I thought I had a broken PB until I came across this thread. It's now working for me.
    02-04-12 03:58 PM
    Getting a 2011 error code on the brand new 16gb PB.

My Dad's been able to update and restore his 64gb this evening however.
    02-04-12 04:25 PM

Actually, I think people have gotten the point. You don't like the way RIM does something and you arejust going to whine about it. The fact is that RIM takes a secure approach and, unfortunately, if the servers are down, you may need to wait. Here is a bit of news for you though: the same thing is true for a variety of Android devices. They start up with whatever is version 1 of the OS and immediately try to download the current version when first turned on. If the OTA servers are down, you are just as screwed in the short term. BTW, a minimal amount of research before purchase could have informed you how the Playbook startup works. Actually, it would also inform you that the world of Android is not paved with rose petals.
    02-04-12 04:37 PM
    After all the crap I've been through to get this blasted Playbook as a Birthday present. Including but not limited to effectively paying for it twice because they are still holding �169 of mine hostage after already taking �169 from my account to pay for the Playbook. It finally got delivered today, a day late, for it to firstly not connect to the internet and now for the last goodness knows how long not connecting to the darn update server that frankly, right now I couldn't give a monkey's about because all I want to do is to enjoy my new playbook that I was ever so excited to have finished work at 3 and rush back home only to spend the last almost 8 hours rebooting it checking the connection refreshing this page every so often and seeing that immensely annoying message "could not connect to the update server" followed by a variety of numbers, the latest one being 2011. But it's good to know that some people have gotten theirs to work.
    02-04-12 04:46 PM
    Servers are back up. =)

Good luck to all.
    02-04-12 05:15 PM
    The horror! I must wait a few hours while they fix the issue!
    jonno_atamaniuk likes this.
    02-04-12 05:21 PM
    Thanks everyone. both PBs are woking and the customers are happy.
    mikeplus1 likes this.
    02-04-12 10:37 PM
    Still no luck, previously got errors 9, 3000 and 3001 now its 2011....
    Cannot connect to update servers.

DM does not work either connect playbook click on update it simply asks for email address

Btw I am from India, hoping I too get the update soon and have a working device, which as of now is just a brick without the update.
    02-05-12 12:11 AM
83 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD