Could not connect to update server. (9)
I am trying to set up my new Playbook but I keep getting this message and I can't get any further. I am really at a loss now as to what to do next. If anyone can enlighten me I would be really grateful,
UK Bridlington I am worried it is not updating as I can't set the unit up at all until it has downloaded these updates. I tried to connect to DM but it won't operate until the initial set up has happened. Getting a bit frustrated as you can imagine.
- 02-04-12, 08:52 AM #4
You can restart the playbook while connected to dm and it will popup a message to update it but you will still have a smaller update after that is done. Are there any free wifi hotspot around you take it to and try?
I am actually on my own wifi at home (Sky). I can connect to the the router but I am still getting the same message. As I mentioned when I connect to DM it says my setup is not complete and it won't let me do anything else. I will try to coneect and shut down the Playbook as you mentioned,
- 02-04-12, 09:02 AM #6
Try the debrick method with Desktop Manager. To do this, plug the playbook in when turned off while desktop manager is running. It will ask if you want to wait for the playbook to reboot or another or another option. On a Mac it is restore.
- 02-04-12, 09:09 AM #8
I bought one of the Telus playbooks yesterday and had similar problems. It would fail during the OS download phase and was slow downloading. At one point after a reboot, I was able to change my wifi. I chose the 5ghz network instead this time and the download went quick and the setup went well after that.
Incidentally, the date on the box was the same as my original Playbook purchase in April. the OS was really early, maybe 188.8.131.52??.
Tried to Debrick but it is still saying Device Setup Incomplete. It tells me to disconnect the device and finish the setup. I am also getting a new (2032) error message?? I don't get any other options when the device is booting apart from update but it says there are no new updates and do I want to be e-mailed when there is. Could this be something to do with a low battery level? As I say I have just got the unit
- 02-04-12, 10:22 AM #13
I did power it down and I actually did a full reset holding down both volume buttons and the startup button. N0thing worked. I am charging it now but I am not confident that is to do with charge. When I USB'd it shut down to the DM it didn't give me any options apart from 'update' which is said there were none and would I like to be e-mailed. There was no message like the one you mentioned in your message. thanks again for all your help,
- CrackBerry User
02-04-12, 12:05 PM #15
- 12 Posts
Alex, I've got exactly the same problem as you. Received a new Playbook from PC World yesterday for a gift. Attempted set up at midday today and constantly receiving "Could not connect to update server" messages. Usually followed by a 9, 3000 or 3001 error code.
I'm on Virgin Media, but have tried using BT openzone and mobile hot spot, but still no success some 5 hours later...
- 02-04-12, 12:07 PM #16
Just tried playing around with my old Playbook that I debricked yesterday to get to the base OS. Rebooted it, went through the setup process, not needing an updated since it was on the latest os. All the base apps were there when I finished setup. I then decided I didn't want to put my same BlackberryID on two Playbooks, so did a security wipe.
Setup with new BBID and there are no apps but the Browser and setup icon. I figured this was as a result of the security wipe, but I think I may be wrong. Usually after a security wipe and the setup, it will download a smaller update 30-40mb. This time it didn't, so no apps. Figuring it may have been just a glitch, I tried the debrick method, I get the software is up to date message like you.
Here is my wishful thinking, the update servers are down, either for maintenance or to put OS2 on them. They were working for me yesterday when I setup a new Playbook and debricked this old Playbook that will not update today.
Last edited by robsteve; 02-04-12 at 12:11 PM.
- CrackBerry Newbie
02-04-12, 12:29 PM #17
- 2 Posts
Last edited by A2puri; 02-04-12 at 12:33 PM.
- CrackBerry User
02-04-12, 12:31 PM #18
- 31 Posts
I'm having the exact same issue. I just opened the Playbook several hours ago and tried the charging method and the DeBrick with no luck. I know there is nothing wrong with my internet.
Really frustrated that a product like this would have issues like this straight out of the box after I had heard so many good things.
EDIT: Just read A2puri's post. Hopefully they bring the servers up soon.
- 02-04-12, 12:59 PM #19
Sheesh, am I glad that I finally opened my new 64 gig yesterday and ran the setup. I had put it off for 3 days trying to decide if I really wanted a 64 gig (have a 32gig now). The first attempt said it was going to take 14 hours! It gave up and said TRY AGAIN. It took about 40 minutes on the second try. Slowly been adding back apps. Media most of last night.
We can hope there is some OS2 implication in this but I'd say it is just a glitch.
- CrackBerry Newbie
02-04-12, 01:33 PM #20
- 4 Posts
Yes, I just called BB support and was told their servers are down for maintenance and there is nothing that can be done until they are back up. He told me another 2 hours (as of 1:20PM 02/04/12 EST). So This new playbook I bought is literally bricked until they bring their update servers back online.
I really fail to understand why updates should be a blocking function preventing a user from even using their new devices. Personally, if it were up to me, whoever at BB made this decision to design the playbook to behave this way should be fired on the spot. Imagine how many less tech-savvy users are now marching back to the store returning their playbooks because they think they are broken...
Servers go down, I expect and accept that, but preventing me from even using this device because they are down is beyond unacceptable and there is no explanation that would suffice....
Oh well, maybe before I goto bed if I'm lucky I'll get to use this thing...
- 02-04-12, 02:26 PM #23
I understand your pain in not being able to use your new device immediately, and your excitement to get it up and running, but no need to bash the PB just because of a server being down...
At least BB Support was very honest about the servers being down for updating your PB OS. And they are doing everything to get it back up and running as fast as possible.
Severs go down for maintenence all the time, for any site on the web.. banks, online shopping, iTunes updates, etc.
Just my .02 cents.
- 02-04-12, 02:38 PM #24
This requirement for access to the servers to use the pb the first time has been discussed in, I believe, their beta forum. One hopes that they do fix it and change the initialization process. I was lucky and finally took my 64 gig out of the box yesterday and ran the setup then.
- 02-04-12, 03:21 PM #25
I concur with other PB users trying to get past the set-up stage. I too purchased my new 32g PB today at around 12 noon and cannot get past the the update stage with what appears to be a server issue here in the UK. How frustrating is that after 6 hours of trying?
I hope it's not a repeat of the server crash of about 6 months ago. The damage that done to BB was irreparable, IMHO.
Not wanting to criticise Rim, but, I personally think you should be able to at least use your PB without getting hung-up on the update stage during initial set-up.