Dear Technically Gifted Persons,

Please, please help me?

I will try to relate exactly what has happened. Please excuse any unnecessary information, but I don't know what is relevant.

I'm trying to activate my "new" "new" tablet (BBPB 16G), & I've gotten this error message, "could not activate this tablet. (3001) please try changing your settings".

I got as far as registering the device with my BB account. The tablet messaged it was searching for updates. The next message was that the battery was @ 0%, and that the updating process would not begin until the battery was charged to 20%

The problem presented after the battery had been recharged to 20% & the updating-to-latest-OS process began. That's when I got the 3001 message,

The tablet was not responding to/charging with the wall charger that came with it. I had to use my charging stand to get it to recharge, but the tablet will now respond to the wall charger.

The majority of the online "solutions" to this 3001 problem recommend using BBDM (to update?), but BBDM does not acknowledge the tablet when it's connected via usb.

My PC is not showing this tablet as a device.

The tablet did not install drivers onto my PC when it was first connected to it via usb.

The tablet's usb port is functioning.

My PC's usb ports are all working.

I have two (exactly the same) usb cables for the tablet-to-PC connection. Both cables came with a BBPB (16G) Both the usb cables for connecting the tablet to the PC are brand new.

Re:"Please try changing your settings". I would happily change my settings, if I knew how to change them exactly, and/or what (if anything) I needed to change them to.

The tablet is connecting w/my WiFi signal.

The tablet turns on automatically when it is connected to either of the chargers.

I do not in ANY way understand how to connect the tablet to my PC via WiFi if this is possible w/o BBDM.

One "solution" suggests turning the tablet off & then pressing the "Volume Up" button, the "Volume Down" button, & the "Power" button simultaneously, which is supposed to do something. It does nothing.

I use an Inspiron 1 #2305 PC, OS Windows7, btw, in case that's relevant.

Thank you advance for any solutions you can offer. Bye for now.
    Last edited by Diana Graham; 05-24-14 at 10:14 AM.
    05-23-14 08:32 PM
    Download dm and install it again. With dm open try plugging the pb in with the cable that came with it. Make sure the pb is off, screen dark in a dark room. Plug it in and if prompted, it might take a couple minutes, choose update and or repair.
    Diana Graham likes this.
    05-23-14 08:44 PM
    Download dm and install it again. With dm open try plugging the pb in with the cable that came with it. Make sure the pb is off, screen dark.
    Thank you very much for trying to help, but I've already tried that, & I've tried plugging the tablet into the pc when the tablet was on, & tried rebooting the pc, & tried installing, & uninstalling & reinstalling the BBDM... & various other permutations of that scenario.

The tablet didn't install any drivers on my pc, so the desktop manager doesn't "see" the tablet. Google searches offer up no links to where one could download the BlackBerry PlayBook drivers online
    Last edited by Diana Graham; 05-24-14 at 10:01 AM.
    05-23-14 09:57 PM
    Try using an autoloader file. There is a thread in the PlayBook OS forum that contains links for the autoloader files.

Posted via CB10
    Diana Graham likes this.
    05-24-14 05:09 AM
    DM should install the drivers.

Have you right clicked on the exe and tried run as administrator?
    Diana Graham likes this.
    05-24-14 05:11 AM
    Hi RobSteve. Thank you for offering that suggestion, & please excuse what may seem like a dumb question, but what is it I would be trying to use the autoloader file for? I would assume from it's name that an autoloader file automatically loads....something. But what, in this situation, would I be autoloading? And what would I be autoloading this something onto (or into)?
    robsteve likes this.
    05-24-14 09:45 AM
    let see can we get you up and running...What desktop manger are you using link or 7.1
    Diana Graham likes this.
    05-24-14 09:52 AM
    Hello again kbz1960. Thank for trying to help me. BBDM installed BBDM drivers on my PC. Rumor has it that BlackBerry PlayBook also installs drivers onto a PC the first time it connects to the PC via usb cable. BlackBerry PlayBook did not install drivers on my PC when it was first plugged into my PC, nor has it it done so at any other time, so far.
    Last edited by Diana Graham; 05-24-14 at 10:16 AM.
    05-24-14 09:58 AM
    Hello Jinxs1591. Thank you for offering to help. I'm not sure which version of BBDM I had. I got annoyed & uninstalled BBDM. I'm over it now, & I'd be agreeable to installing any version of BBDM that is likely to work in this situation.
    05-24-14 10:09 AM
    Maybe some stupid questions, are you using the cable that came with the Playbook? Have you tried all the USB ports on your computer? Also, do you have another computer to try to connect to? Lastly, is your "new" "new" Playbook NEW or a Refurb or just a used one that you picked up off of eBay or somewhere else?
    Diana Graham and kbz1960 like this.
    05-24-14 10:13 AM
    Hi k1ward. Those are good questions. Re: "...are you using the cable that came with the Playbook?". Yes. Re: "Have you tried all the USB ports on your computer?" Yes, they're all working fine. Re: "do you have another computer to try to connect to?" No. Re: "Lastly, is your "new" "new" Playbook NEW or a Refurb...?" It's refurbished, purchased from an ebay dealer (cell-force on eBay) with a 99.2% positive feedback rating (after over 66,600 sales) This is the second one they've sent me. The first one had problems too most of which I solved, but one I could not solve was a non-operational usb port so they sent me the one I have now as a replacement.
    05-24-14 10:27 AM
    start menu- control panel-uninstall program and get rid of everything that have anything to do with blackberry or BBDM and let try link ver and see can we get this by USB instead of over the air
    Diana Graham likes this.
    05-24-14 10:41 AM
    Hi k1ward. Those are good questions. Re: "...are you using the cable that came with the Playbook?". Yes. Re: "Have you tried all the USB ports on your computer?" Yes, they're all working fine. Re: "do you have another computer to try to connect to?" No. Re: "Lastly, is your "new" "new" Playbook NEW or a Refurb...?" It's refurbished, purchased from an ebay dealer (cell-force on eBay) with a 99.2% positive feedback rating (after over 66,600 sales) This is the second one they've sent me. The first one had problems too most of which I solved, but one I could not solve was a non-operational usb port so they sent me the one I have now as a replacement.
    Since you have tried two "brand new BB usb cables" doesn't sound like another usb cable is likely to help. The charging cable for the PB has the data wires spliced together however in my folding blade BB charger the cable is not removable. Of course you have inspected the micro usb port (type ab) for damage and are sure you are inserting the cable plug correctly. You apparently have the dock stand that couples to the magnetic three pin port and a working wall charger.

Have you tried the three finger reset with the PB turned on? Push on off button and volume plus and volume down buttons simultaneously. Tricky since if your timing is not right you may take a picture. Sometimes just holding the power button down for twenty seconds will do something. Obviously if you solved your previous problems you may be more skilled at this than I am.

Don't know about the computer you are using but possibly it is firewalling the PB. You may have to go into the computer and change settings.
    Last edited by jpash549; 05-24-14 at 11:16 AM.
    Diana Graham likes this.
    05-24-14 11:01 AM
    Can you look under the gear and check settings? If so you may find the one that needs changing. Look under storage and sharing / USB connections and be sure it is not set to connect to mac. Under security you can find the wipe command. You can also find mac addressand other things under about.
    Diana Graham likes this.
    05-24-14 11:30 AM
    Hi Jinxs151, please explain? What is , "link ver"?
    05-24-14 12:42 PM
    Under WiFi/device info I have : Physical address, Device OS, Device Pin and OS version. Yours is different and makes me wonder what the previous life of this PB was.

If you care to you might provide what is listed for OS, SCM, Vendor ID. and hardware id.
    Last edited by jpash549; 05-24-14 at 02:06 PM.
    05-24-14 01:56 PM
    start menu- control panel-uninstall program and get rid of everything that have anything to do with blackberry or BBDM and let try link ver and see can we get this by USB instead of over the air
    blackberry link
    BlackBerry Link - BlackBerry 10 Smartphone to Computer Sync - US
    Diana Graham likes this.
    05-24-14 03:24 PM
    Make a new administrator account, install dm and try again.
    Diana Graham likes this.
    05-24-14 03:27 PM
    kbz1960: Hello. thank you for the suggestion. I don't know how to make a new administrator account. I will see if I can find information & instructions online, & maybe you'll feel like explaining further if you find the time.
    05-24-14 04:09 PM
    Jinxs1591: Thank you for the link
    05-24-14 04:09 PM
    Hi RobSteve. Thank you for offering that suggestion, & please excuse what may seem like a dumb question, but what is it I would be trying to use the autoloader file for? I would assume from it's name that an autoloader file automatically loads....something. But what, in this situation, would I be autoloading? And what would I be autoloading this something onto (or into)?
    An autoloader is an exe file that your PC will run and load the OS directly without using Desktop Manager or Link. You plug in the PlayBook, then run the file, it loads the OS to the PlayBook and then the PlayBook reboots to the setup screen.

Posted via CB10
    Diana Graham likes this.
    05-24-14 04:30 PM
    P.S. I did a Google search for, "Physical Address: 14:74:11:85:bf:2f", & followed a lead down a rabbit-holes 'til I found this: Hardware Address (MAC Address) Lookup :: What is my IP address? :: Search by hardware address Due to my ignorance this means nothing to me, but it references RIM & leads to this: Hardware Address (MAC Address) Lookup :: What is my IP address? :: Search by hardware address, which also means nothing to me.
    The MAC address is unique to each piece of hardware. An explanation of how this is in the following you tube reference:

Other videos by the same group can be viewed to explain how to get the logical address which is what we generally use. But if you allow reassignment of logical addresses your logical address for a particular piece of equipment might change. The fact that you don't have ping data suggests to me that something is wrong in the networking..
    Diana Graham likes this.
    05-24-14 05:37 PM
    robsteve, thank you for your suggestions. After a stubborn search I found an autoload file for the PlayBook OS. It will NOT download using a FireFox browser, but Google Chrome does the job. I have not opened/run the file, but I made a desktop shortcut to the folder it's in. I'm not sure exactly what to do with it now that I've downloaded it. I'll tackle that situation later. I need to take a break from dealing with this problem for awhile.

BTW, many people are seeking a link for this file. For future reference here's the link: https://mega.co.nz/#!Rps2kKTb!XfRhOG...iXStHzrpjEPOIs Again, one must be using a Google Chrome (or maybe an IE) browser to be able to download it.
    Last edited by Diana Graham; 05-24-14 at 06:20 PM.
    05-24-14 06:10 PM
    jpash549: Thank you for the link to the video. I'm taking a break from dealing with this 3001 error problem for awhile, but I'll watch it later tonight. BTW, my son suggests I might want to consider trying to find out from Blackberry just what a 3001 error is. "3001" must refer to a specific problem. If one knew what that problem was they could address their solving efforts towards dealing with it directly rather than going crazy trying to figure out "work around" solutions. Anyway, thanks to everyone for trying to help me with my problem...Bye for now.
    Thank you for your contribution on the autodownloader. And good luck getting a specific answer from Blackberry or the Knowledge Base.

I have another reference to using your computer to check ping etc. from your command prompt that I found interesting.

Using computer command prompt

Diana Graham likes this.
    05-24-14 07:15 PM
    Still another on troubleshooting :

This should give a list also of all other chapters in the series. Unfortunately it appears that the series has become somewhat dated and may be too techy in spots so you may want to skip around.
    Last edited by jpash549; 05-24-14 at 08:29 PM.
    Diana Graham likes this.
    05-24-14 07:40 PM
59 123