There has been a lot of threads about retail activity but not much about what's happening at companies. Is anyone getting a Playbook at work? Is there any IT people out there testing Playbooks yet? Are there large orders of Playbooks showing up or ordered where you work? Is your company developing a company specific app for the playbook?
    04-20-11 12:12 AM
    There has been a lot of threads about retail activity but not much about what's happening at companies. Is anyone getting a Playbook at work? Is there any IT people out there testing Playbooks yet? Are there large orders of Playbooks showing up or ordered where you work? Is your company developing a company specific app for the playbook?
    I highly doubt there are any large scale implementations or rollouts of the playbook at this point. A lot of companies vet technology through obsolescence. Meaning that the older the technology, the better. Newer tech is usually prime targets for hackers and other similar types of people.
    04-20-11 12:49 AM
    We've purchased 3 for "testing" and development with our IT department. Our DB admin/programmer is excited about trying to use the PBs for remote station logging applications and inspection DBs. I hope to be able to eventually get a good RD application for remote system support as well as some sort of SSH application to administer our NW infrastructure.
    04-20-11 04:02 AM
    We're planning on getting quite a few. We have about 15000 Blackberry deployed globally so I think it will be in high demand.

We have rolled out the iPad to a lot of users too. They like it, but it has many limitations that a device with a fully functioning browser would not. If the PlayBook ever runs Silverlight, that will improve even more.
    04-20-11 05:44 AM
    The Playbook is the only offically sanctioned tablet for my company. Lots being rolled out in the upcoming weeks.

Kanuck34
    04-20-11 05:49 AM
    I am testing one for our company (we only have about 100 BBs) and I have many users who already want one.
    04-20-11 06:16 AM
    We have planned for 50. Acquisition process is rolling through.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-20-11 06:21 AM
    We have currently only purchased 30 PB's and we will start buying more in batches of about 25-30 at time until we eventually roll out about 2500 total across the entire domain (about 15000 BB BES accounts in total). We will also start finally getting new BB phones to replace the aging the 8700/8300/8900/9000 series (yes, we still have lots in active service, but they are TOUGH), but, being military, it can sometimes be very hard logistically to lifecycle IT items when we desire. LOL
    04-20-11 06:57 AM
    Managed to talk our IT into letting us pilot it. The BES Admin is setting up a test group for the new policy settings, yes!
    04-20-11 09:35 AM
    We have 1000's of BB's rolled out, i'm currently testing a PB and have five free ones coming from verizon to use for testing. To be really successful in the IT/ Work force, the bridge features needs to be fixed up to be more reliable and we have to get better apps like RDP and SSH clients, actual practical apps to use in the work force. In all due time i'm sure
    04-20-11 10:13 AM
    Thank you for the replies. I find the whole playbook story fascinating. The development, the bizarre reviews, the loyal die hard BB fans coming to the rescue....it would make a great movie! But seriously, one of the main unknowns is how quick corporate adoption will be. My feeling is that once more testing is done and early adopters work through some of the rough edges that corporate adoption will move quickly....and that the scale it provides will have a halo effect into the consumer market. With scale, comes developers, apps and some recognition. With recognition as the an industry standard, fence sitting businesses will jump on board as they will see that their investment will be well supported going forward.

Are any of you IT guys seeing hesitance on the part of management to move forward with playbook because of the treatment RIM has received in the press? Or are they more committed to Blackberry because of RIM's large emphasis on putting businesses first with Playbook?

BTW, got my 64 GB playbook on Wednesday and I am loving it!
    04-25-11 10:51 AM
    "We have 1000's of BB's rolled out, i'm currently testing a PB and have five free ones coming from verizon to use for testing."

From Verizon? Published reports has Verizon on the fence about even distributing them. What gives?
    04-25-11 11:19 AM
    I know someone who is a BES admin. His company will not be getting any Playbooks. In fact, the company is looking to get rid of BlackBerry completely this year. They will probably switch to Android, since they use VZW and need world phones.
    04-25-11 11:23 AM
    Some VZW blackberries are world phones.
    04-25-11 11:29 AM
    Yes, but if they are ditching BB's then Android is the only other choice on Verizon. The iphone doesnt do Global data........yet.
    04-25-11 11:31 AM
    The company does not want BES any more. Therefore, they do not want BlackBerry.
    04-25-11 11:33 AM
    Yes, but if they are ditching BB's then Android is the only other choice on Verizon. The iphone doesnt do Global data........yet.
    Correct. They also want only one platform in the future, so they do not have to support multiple mobile platforms. So they will not be getting iPhones once they switch to Android.
    04-25-11 11:35 AM
    The company does not want BES any more. Therefore, they do not want BlackBerry.
    It is an unfortunate feature of the BB that it does not have support for EAS directly on the device. The additional costs associated with BES are definitely impacting their market share.

That said, many companies like BES because of the amount of control it gives them over their corporate smartphones.
    04-25-11 11:53 AM
    Are you guys who's company is buying multiple PB using AT&T?

I'm surprised they would go ahead with the buy until AT&T has their official bridge software available or better yet know what the additional cost would be.
    04-25-11 12:06 PM
    It is an unfortunate feature of the BB that it does not have support for EAS directly on the device. The additional costs associated with BES are definitely impacting their market share.
    That is the reason the company is getting rid of BlackBerry.

That said, many companies like BES because of the amount of control it gives them over their corporate smartphones.
    They do not have restrictive IT policies, so there is little advantage of BES for them.
    04-25-11 12:08 PM
    That is the reason the company is getting rid of BlackBerry.

They do not have restrictive IT policies, so there is little advantage of BES for them.
    My company does have restrictive policies so BBs are the standard smartphone. However, they do offer Good accounts to those with their own smart phones or tablets supporting the Good client. We don't give out tablets except to a few senior execs and those are iPads.
    04-25-11 09:55 PM
    I tried to get one. But my company is developing iOS apps/tools so iPad would be issued instead. Like others I have seen a dramatic conversion to either iPhone or Android devices with some Bolds and Torches (which I have). IT had a hard stance on using anything other than BB two years, but during cost cutting opened the door for iphones and driods due to BES costs.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-25-11 10:36 PM
    I'm in a small mining firm. I got one, the CFO got one. If all goes well, we'll get more for everyone.
    04-25-11 10:57 PM
    Are you guys who's company is buying multiple PB using AT&T?

I'm surprised they would go ahead with the buy until AT&T has their official bridge software available or better yet know what the additional cost would be.
    Canadian Military, so we use Rogers or Bell/TELUS, but mainly Rogers. Unlike a lot of others in this thread, we are increasing our BB "footprint", we need the BES for security and policy control of our devices remotely, and so far, no competitor even comes close. We did test some Android tablets (Xoom) that were given to us, but were found unsuitable and the OS had some issues meeting our compliance requirements.
    04-25-11 11:00 PM
    We have 1000's of BB's rolled out, i'm currently testing a PB and have five free ones coming from verizon to use for testing. To be really successful in the IT/ Work force, the bridge features needs to be fixed up to be more reliable and we have to get better apps like RDP and SSH clients, actual practical apps to use in the work force. In all due time i'm sure
    Vzw has not even decided if they are going to offer the PB
    04-26-11 01:39 AM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD