HELP!!!

I searched the forums but cant find this specific issue.

I had BB Balance installed on my PB, but never used it. I have a BIS account, not BES. I also had my corporate email setup along with my gmail account on my playbook and on my 9860. Seeing that I never used Balance, I deleted it from the Playbook. A few days later I noticed I was only getting emails from my Gmail account on the PB. When I checked, I realised my corporate email account was gone! I tried to add it back several times and it continuously fails. Why is this? What are my options here please?

I have verified the mail server and account password are correct, but the PB repeatedly gives this errror: "The server https://mail.xxxxxxxx.com/owa for account ([email protected]) is not responding. The server name in your account settings might be incorrect, or the server might be temporarily offline. Check your settings and to make sure the server name is correct and try again."

I have deleted and readded the same account on my 9860 using the same settings tried in the PB without issue, while I continue to get this error on the PB. What can I do again? Thanks!
    06-19-12 12:57 PM
    You mention BIs account, not BES. But then say you have corporate account. Exchange? Corporate email works with BES, not BIS. Have you spoke to your IT department? If your corporation has enforced Balanced, you need to have it on PB - no way around it. Even though you may not use it. See if your IT department can help you.
    Last edited by rcm1301; 06-19-12 at 01:40 PM.
    Scotter75 and TTBGF like this.
    06-19-12 01:34 PM
    How exactly did you delete a built in feature of the OS (Balance)?

There are way too many odd things about this post. Please try to clarify quite a bit and the steps you took in order and we can help.
    TTBGF likes this.
    06-19-12 02:00 PM
    By corporate account I mean I had my work email (corporate) on my playbook. It is accessed via outlook (owa). Its setup the same way on my 9860. I am not sure if my IT has enforced Balance, but I will certainly check, thanks. The thing is I recall removing Balance but I do not recall how. Is there a way to verify if its installed?

Thanks for the help guys.
    06-19-12 03:52 PM
    It will show in your settings. Just below BB Bridge. When you setup your corp email, did you select the Microsoft Exchange Activesync? If so, then your email is controlled via the exchange server and policies your company put on the server, will apply. So, your company will enforce Balance or not on the server, which will 'install' Balance on your PB. You cannot install Balance yourself. It is enforced by your company. So, it means your company may have removed the Balance policy on their server, and be default removed it from your PB. I think the best is still to talk to your IT.

From the PB Mannual.
    BlackBerry Balance addresses corporate security concerns without limiting your use of personal applications. Using distinct areas of your tablet called perimeters, you can separate your work and personal activities. A perimeter is a grouping of applications, data, and network connections that allows for targeted control and management. It has separate data storage, application permissions, and network routing rules.
    By default, your BlackBerry PlayBook tablet uses a personal perimeter. Your corporate IT department can then create a work perimeter by enrolling in a management solution. You can also use a BlackBerry Bridge perimeter to create an insulated area to view data and applications on your BlackBerrysmartphone.
    Your personal perimeter provides the opportunity to use your tablet without impacting corporate security policies in your corporate perimeter. Your personal perimeter allows you to use your tablet for activities not sanctioned by your employer such as downloading videos, playing online multi-player games, and uploading personal photos and Facebook entries.
    Your work perimeter can contain a modified version of BlackBerry App World that contains the applications you are allowed to download and use at work. It can also provide an area where you can create, edit, and save work documents and slide decks.
    Last edited by rcm1301; 06-19-12 at 04:02 PM.
    TTBGF likes this.
    06-19-12 03:59 PM
    You should only put in mail.xxxxxx.com in the server address. Also check if you can access your owa from a computer at home.
    TTBGF likes this.
    06-19-12 04:16 PM
    rcm, thanks so much for explaining, I did select activesync during setup, and as soon as I was able to setup the email account just now, I noticed Balance appear right where you indicated.

zzbsb....thank you for pointing this out, I was entering https://mail.xxx.com in the server address, when I removed the https:// the settings were accepted.

Thanks so much again Crackers!!
    rcm1301 likes this.
    06-19-12 04:28 PM
    Glad you got it figured out. Rcm is correct, and to that, you have no control over Balance. If it is implemented and enforced, then only your IT adms can alter or change any enforced policies. We use it now, but I'm confused, as it's part of our BES and I was led to believe it is implemented with BES only, yet you say you are BIS. How are they enforcing it if you aren't BES. The same goes for Fusion also.
    06-20-12 01:08 AM
    Glad you got it figured out. Rcm is correct, and to that, you have no control over Balance. If it is implemented and enforced, then only your IT adms can alter or change any enforced policies. We use it now, but I'm confused, as it's part of our BES and I was led to believe it is implemented with BES only, yet you say you are BIS. How are they enforcing it if you aren't BES. The same goes for Fusion also.
    If you setup your work email via Microsoft Exchange Activesync, then you are on BES and cannot be on BIS. It's just how the infrastructure works. If you do not setup your work email via MEA, but use the Outlook Web feature to access your work email when away from office, then you are on BIS as you actually access it only via the 'internet'. It can be confusing, but bottomline is Exchange Activesync = BES.
    06-20-12 08:18 AM
    To clarify: BES is only for Blackberry smartphone, it has almost no control over Playbook. To control Playbook you use Mobile Fusion Blackberry Device Service. And Playbook uses Exchange ActiveSync to get emails, it has nothing to do with BES.
    06-20-12 08:30 AM
    To clarify: BES is only for Blackberry smartphone, it has almost no control over Playbook. To control Playbook you use Mobile Fusion Blackberry Device Service. And Playbook uses Exchange ActiveSync to get emails, it has nothing to do with BES.
    To clarify: Mobile Fusion is to manage ALL mobile devices (BB phone & PB, iPhone and Android) by setting up and enforcing security policies (e.g. time lock out, remote wipe, balance, etc.). It does NOT determine how your email are setup. If your company uses Microsoft Exchange, then it uses BES (for BB phone & PB). That means your email is controlled via BES & Activesync and applies to your BB phone AND Playbook. Balance can only be setup in Fusion.
    A company who only uses BES, control both their BB phone & PB in BES for policies and email.
    A company using Fusion, also needs to have BES (as Fusion is installed on top of BES) and can control policies on all mobile devices, regardless of OS platform. (iPhone and Android email is handled seperate and outside BES and Fusion)
    To add something more, if your company wants to control the APPS being installed on your PB, its need to have BB Device Service installed. This can either be in BES only or BES & Fusion environment.
    isn't it?
    Last edited by rcm1301; 06-20-12 at 09:58 AM.
    06-20-12 09:16 AM
    Well for certain, my plan is a BIS plan, not BES. As to how it works in relation to the PB and email setup, I am clueless.

On a different note though RCM, can you guide me on how to get the image of your Avatar erased from my memory? Forever?
    06-20-12 11:24 AM
    To clarify: Mobile Fusion is to manage ALL mobile devices (BB phone & PB, iPhone and Android) by setting up and enforcing security policies (e.g. time lock out, remote wipe, balance, etc.). It does NOT determine how your email are setup. If your company uses Microsoft Exchange, then it uses BES (for BB phone & PB). That means your email is controlled via BES & Activesync and applies to your BB phone AND Playbook. Balance can only be setup in Fusion.
    A company who only uses BES, control both their BB phone & PB in BES for policies and email.
    A company using Fusion, also needs to have BES (as Fusion is installed on top of BES) and can control policies on all mobile devices, regardless of OS platform. (iPhone and Android email is handled seperate and outside BES and Fusion)
    To add something more, if your company wants to control the APPS being installed on your PB, its need to have BB Device Service installed. This can either be in BES only or BES & Fusion environment.
    isn't it?

Hi bro, Using Exchange doesn't mean it's BES. ActiveSync and BES are two different things. My Playbook is using ActiveSync but it has nothing to do with BES.
    06-20-12 11:56 AM
    I understand that, as I've been under BES for years, but there is some management of the PB on BES through Bridge, because I saw the BES memos on two new PB BES IT policies regarding that. And I also know that all of our PBs are now managed through Fusion, which is now our IT's interface for BES, also due to it being the management front for our phones too. Balance is included with Fusion, but from what I was told today and saw in the Fusion requirements, you are still required to be running BES v5.0.3 to implement Fusion.

The point and in regard to the original post is that if your IT is not enforcing Balance and Fusion on your PB then your "deleting" of Balance shouldn't have changed anything. BES is only required to access corporate accounts that are managed through BES and associated with that server. The PB cannot be managed by BES because of it's OS, hence the need for Fusion. Yes, you can access a non-BES corporate email account through ME Activsync. Correspondingly, if your PB is being managed through Fusion, you should not have been able to override IT policies and delete Balance. And as was mentioned by Sith_Apprentice, I don't see how you can delete a core feature of the OS, which is what Balance is since 2.0.

I don't keep up with the PB email issues anyway,as our native email is disabled and our BES email is through Bridge.

Glad yours is up and running again.
    06-20-12 03:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD